VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not cards per se but onboard audio to go with their chipsets. But still a fun thing to think about.

http://http.download.nvidia.com/downloads/Sou … dStorm_Song.mp3

Although not a sound card, AMD developed TrueAudio.

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD did a lot more with sound than that. They licensed Gravis' Ultrasound technology and released the AMD Interwave chip that powered the later Gravis Ultrasound PnP cards and clones.

Reply 2 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's exactly what I thought about today. So how good is soundstorm against let's say SB-Live, Vortex1/2, DMX xFire.
I am thinking about a Shuttle XPC SN45Gv2 that has soundstorm onboard. The nForce2 Chipset with Soundstorm has no win9x drivers but 2k and upwards.

Would be interesting how good this Nvidia sound solution really is?

Does someone has some knowledge?
Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 3 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-09-18, 10:09:

Does someone has some knowledge?

There's some info about it in this thread: Re: NVIDIA nForce audio experiences?

While I never owned a board with SoundStorm, I remember it being advertised as on-pair with Audigy cards back in the day. Maybe someone with first hand experience can clarify.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any experiences with them, but I've heard that the nVidia SoundStorm supports OpenAL 1.0 and EAX 2.0.

EAX 3.0 (EAX Advanced HD) must be at least supported to be actually on par with the SB Audigy sound card in features. I believe that this was due to licensing cost than a limitation on the SoundStorm though.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what I understand, NVidia's audio was a combination of a licensed Parthus MediaStream DSP and 3D audio tech licensed from Sensaura. It probably only existed because they built the XBox. It's functionally quite similar to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Hercules GameTheater XP as they are also Sensaura-based cards with good hardware acceleration, except you can of course run real-time Dolby Digital encoding with NVAPU. I feel like it had better driver support and thus better game compatibility than those cards. But if you want to use it with Win98SE be sure to get the Windows WDM audio update I posted in the nForce thread fairly recently otherwise you will come across strange game problems.
Re: nForce 1 (220/415/420 aka Crush 11/12) thread

Truaudio was based on a Tensilica DSP. Truaudio was only used for some minor additional effects in a few games before forgotten. Truaudio seemed like a waste of transistors to me. Perhaps the DSP had other uses.

Reply 6 of 6, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2021-08-22, 22:06:

AMD did a lot more with sound than that. They licensed Gravis' Ultrasound technology and released the AMD Interwave chip that powered the later Gravis Ultrasound PnP cards and clones.

Honourable mention to the S3 Sonic Vibes too!

[Review] S3 SonicVibes PCI sound card in DOS