VOGONS

First post, by Mesaroar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have heard that the Audician32 is a pretty decent sound card for dos games so I went to look on some local sites to see if one was up for sale. I found a listing for that just said Yamaha ISA sound card so I looked up the model number. Turns out it's exactly the same as for the Audician32! (LWHA151A00) But the card doesn't quite look like the Audician. (Picture attached of course) It has an extra component (one of the metal things in the bottom left) which I don't think will have a negative effect but I also noticed a difference on the YMF chip itself. It just says YMF 719. Not YMF 718-s. And more worringly it doesn't even say OPL on the chip. So the question is: Has anybody used this chip/card before? And does it have real OPL3?

Audician32Maybe.jpg
Filename
Audician32Maybe.jpg
File size
599.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All YMF-71x based sound cards have real OPL3 FM synth integrated into the YMF chip.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last part of the numbers on the chip on that card are very faint.

It says YMF719(B or E)-S

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of the YMF71x chips have OPL3 inside them, regardless of the OPL logo that is seen on some of the chips. (there are OPL3 chips with and without the logo for example, it is purely aesthetic thing)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ones I made (see signature for more info) /shamelessplug 🤣

Reply 7 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-09-08, 16:03:

All of the YMF71x chips have OPL3 inside them, regardless of the OPL logo that is seen on some of the chips. (there are OPL3 chips with and without the logo for example, it is purely aesthetic thing)

It's a 48khz implementation, just like the YMF289. Extensive testing on the forum hasn't revealed any significant differences in audio compared to the YMF262. FM synthesis is essentially perfect.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It actually is YMF289 inside there, so OPL3L is more accurate (And it is 44100Hz rather than 48000). There is a very slight pitch difference which you can possibly hear when the two are side by side and there is a small difference in noise type sounds due to sample rate not being same as YMF262.