VOGONS

First post, by AndalusianRG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!
I'm crazy looking for some SB Clone card for a 286 PC that I'll getting soon, since SB PRO aren't cheap.
Searching and investigating through forums, eBay and many pages...and still don't have any idea about which card I should get.
Any advice will be appreciated!

Reply 1 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want broad support for older sound standards, yet mono is good enough, look into an Aztech AZTSSPT0592-U01 based card, as that supports Covox and Disney Sound Source. However, it doesn't offer an MPU401 interface, but neither do the old sound blasters. If you just want something that sounds good and works, you could also get a newer Aztech, an ESS based card, something YMF71 based. UNISOUND can be used to initialize PNP sound cards on a 286. UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Reply 2 of 13, by AndalusianRG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-09-12, 19:24:

If you want broad support for older sound standards, yet mono is good enough, look into an Aztech AZTSSPT0592-U01 based card, as that supports Covox and Disney Sound Source. However, it doesn't offer an MPU401 interface, but neither do the old sound blasters. If you just want something that sounds good and works, you could also get a newer Aztech, an ESS based card, something YMF71 based. UNISOUND can be used to initialize PNP sound cards on a 286. UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Thank you!

Reply 3 of 13, by AndalusianRG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking some Aztech cards (NX Pro, Washington...) and a few SB/AdLib clones. My fear is the driver's thing, having a card that
maybe isn't "appropriate" at all.

Reply 4 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something with jumpers on it is a good start. ESS based cards are as cheap as chips and have better output then moist early SB cards. Usually you just need to put a SET BLASTER+ entry in to the AUTOEXEC>BAT file. No driver software for the card to load at all.

https://dos.fandom.com/wiki/BLASTER_Variable

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AndalusianRG wrote on 2021-09-12, 20:24:

I've been looking some Aztech cards (NX Pro, Washington...) and a few SB/AdLib clones. My fear is the driver's thing, having a card that
maybe isn't "appropriate" at all.

What drivers?

We're talking 286 here, you're not going to be running Windows for gaming...

The Aztech 1st gen cards just need to have their EEPROM set to the right resources, from then on it's all done at hardware level. Set it to A220 I5 D1 and you have the same defaults as an SBPro2. Worst-case the Aztech config tool won't run on <386, in which case you can run it in a newer system, then stick the card in the 286 and it still works.

Reply 6 of 13, by AndalusianRG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-12, 21:24:

Something with jumpers on it is a good start. ESS based cards are as cheap as chips and have better output then moist early SB cards. Usually you just need to put a SET BLASTER+ entry in to the AUTOEXEC>BAT file. No driver software for the card to load at all.

Thank you!!

Reply 8 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AndalusianRG wrote on 2021-09-12, 22:04:

Something with jumpers on it is a good start. ESS based cards are as cheap as chips and have better output then moist early SB cards. Usually you just need to put a SET BLASTER= entry in to the AUTOEXEC>BAT file. No driver software for the card to load at all.

Thank you!!

You are most welcome...😉

This page goes in to the SET BLASTER= line in more detail. I printed it off over 20 years ago and placed the copy in my Computer reference ring binder over 20 years ago.. http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml Unlike some I try not to rely on memory.

That site has tons of stuff in regard to Dos gaming.

Reply 9 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-12, 22:50:
You are most welcome...;) […]
Show full quote

Something with jumpers on it is a good start. ESS based cards are as cheap as chips and have better output then moist early SB cards. Usually you just need to put a SET BLASTER= entry in to the AUTOEXEC>BAT file. No driver software for the card to load at all.

Thank you!!

You are most welcome...😉

This page goes in to the SET BLASTER= line in more detail. I printed it off over 20 years ago and placed the copy in my Computer reference ring binder over 20 years ago.. http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml Unlike some I try not to rely on memory.

Useful ages like that should be stickyed on vogons. Saves hours of going though that interweb forest of brambles to get it.

Edit: I know. I know. I could have just edited my previous post. I'am a bad bad boy......

Reply 10 of 13, by AndalusianRG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-12, 23:06:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-12, 22:50:
You are most welcome...;) […]
Show full quote

Thank you!!

You are most welcome...😉

Useful ages like that should be stickyed on vogons. Saves hours of going though that interweb forest of brambles to get it.

Edit: I know. I know. I could have just edited my previous post. I'am a bad bad boy......

Haha no probs 😉

Reply 13 of 13, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old Aztech cards are mostly expensive and often noisy. If you can grab one fore a bargain, take it. Otherwise I would suggest an ESS ES488 or ES688 card. Cheap and good quality. I Recently grab this one FROM Pine, the record is from the amp out( not Line Out) and there isn't hardly any noise. Jumpers, no drivers needed.
https://youtu.be/mjw2kj2aOfo