VOGONS

First post, by Yopachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an onboard sound chip labeled "ESS ES1968s" It plays well with windows 98se when I install VxD drivers for the "Maestro-2" The problem is that games with CD music aren't supported with VxD in DaemonTools. While googling I encountered a Korean blog with a table listing the drivers for ESS sound cards. The column for windows 98se seems to imply (WDM) support but I can't find a download that turns up with WDM drivers.

What sound card do yall recommend for windows 9x era cd games?

Attachments

• drivers.JPG
    Filename
    drivers.JPG
    File size
    78.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not seeing anything from the archived ESS site though they do link to Microsoft for more info.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000229140316/htt … vers/driver.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20001208204200/htt … vers/driver.htm

And all driver files that were archived before they moved to ftp.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.esst … dable/drivers/*

Edit:
So, those WDM drivers with the weird VXD name on the newer driver site I was able to find. That driver contains the VXD and WDM drivers from the looks of it.
ESS newer driver site:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030604141739/htt … pp/drivers.shtm

That gives us the file names of the drivers via the links.

Did a search for the file name and found a working download on Softpedia.
I have uploaded it to my Google Drive for now:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11_Fb_ … 1MH?usp=sharing

I'll do a proper archive of all the ESS drivers when I get a chance.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks to me like you should be able to switch between the vxd and wdm drivers but I could be wrong.

You can try going into device manager and tell it to update the driver and then see if it will let you manually select the vxd or wdm.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 13, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-15, 05:31:

It looks to me like you should be able to switch between the vxd and wdm drivers but I could be wrong.

You can try going into device manager and tell it to update the driver and then see if it will let you manually select the vxd or wdm.

For the ESS Maestro 2/2e/3/Allegro-1 you can swap between VxD and WDM drivers in Win98 (did that on the Dell C600 and the Compaq n600c). The VxD drivers are better for DOS compatibility, while the WDM is slightly more stable/efficient. Dell archives for the Latitude C600/Inspiron 4000 should contain support for both. For the old Win98 CD based games (read: DirectX, not DOS) and it needs to sit on the PCI slot, the ESS Maestro/Allegros are fine - some also swears by the Crystal CS4630 (Turtle Beach Montego and the like) , or something based on the Yamaha OPL3/YMF7x4. There’s also the Aureal Vortex2, which is fine but a bit more expensive.

Of course, if you want DOS compatibility that's something different.

Reply 5 of 13, by Yopachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-15, 05:31:

Tried updating from device manager and it doesn't give an option for wdm. Is there another way?

Reply 6 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll have to see if I have a Maestro 2 card and then see what I can come up with.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I looked through all my PCI sound cards and didn't find any with a Maestro 2 chip.

Pretty sure I don't have a laptop with one either.

After looking at that driver installer again, it looks like it really is only a VXD driver set. I also did some more searching and was not able to find a WDM driver set anywhere.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I supposedly have a Maestro 2 based sound card on the way. It was one I had been watching for a few months. The box says it is Maestro 2 but who knows it it is actually a 2 or 2E.

I'm wondering if it will have WDM drivers on the install CD or if maybe I can get the 2E WDM drivers working on a regular 2.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found this on Drivergiude - they had been down for a couple days and this was the first time I was able to look there.

Filename
ess98.zip
File size
129.33 KiB
Downloads
84 downloads
File license
Public domain

It is a WDM driver but not sure if it is for Win9x or XP as the .INF doesn't say. It is for the Solo-1, Maestro 2 and Maestro 2E.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the CD for my Videologic SonicStorm (ESS Maestro 1) and also for my Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS (ESS Maestro 2E).
Maybe it has the driver you need. I'll check it later.

Reply 12 of 13, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-16, 21:32:

Well, I supposedly have a Maestro 2 based sound card on the way. It was one I had been watching for a few months. The box says it is Maestro 2 but who knows it it is actually a 2 or 2E.

I'm wondering if it will have WDM drivers on the install CD or if maybe I can get the 2E WDM drivers working on a regular 2.

You should be able to use the VxD/WDM drivers - from what I remember off the datasheet the only major difference between the 2 and the 2e is the sampling rate and some power saving feature.

Reply 13 of 13, by Yopachi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-17, 15:15:

I found this on Drivergiude - they had been down for a couple days and this was the first time I was able to look there.
ess98.zip

Thanks for looking. I missed the notification here. I believe I've tried this driver as it's in my downloads folder. And no dice with the maestro 2e drivers so far. 🤷