VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would the Yamaha SW1000XG PCI sound card be good for games running in Win98SE? I completely understand that this card is not designed for games and is for music production. I also realize that it doesn't have DOS support, but would it work for DOS games run within 98, or native 98 games?

I've listened to some MIDI samples from that card on YouTube and it seems to be a beast.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it should work fine in both scenarios.

If you want to use it for pure DOS, you can output MIDI from a DOS computer and connect it to the MIDI IN of the SW1000XG on the Windows computer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-16, 21:23:

Yes, it should work fine in both scenarios.

If you want to use it for pure DOS, you can output MIDI from a DOS computer and connect it to the MIDI IN of the SW1000XG on the Windows computer.

Do you think it would offer a dramatically improved experience in either scenario over an SB Live! ?

Reply 4 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hah... I used to load up some really nice Soundfonts on the Creative cards. For straight up GM MIDI, there are some really impressive Soundfonts available.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which card? The Yamaha YMF7x4 cards?

The SW1000XG is MIDI only and the AWE32/AWE64 cards will only do mono for SB Pro mode just like the SB16 cards. Plus you won't have real OPL3 with the awe64 and only a few of the AWE32 cards have real OPL3.

There are much cheaper SB Pro compatible cards out there.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 11, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TSG wrote on 2021-09-17, 22:47:

I need RCA jacks. The only two sound cards I've seen with them is the AWE64 Gold and the Yamaha SG1000XG which you just said is MIDI only.

What do you need them for that a quality shielded 1/8" to RCA cable won't give you?