VOGONS

First post, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I recently set up my sound galaxy 16 pro on my 486 and when trying to enable mpu-401 in the config it hangs the setup and doesn't apply the change. Also trying to set the settings to full defaults hangs (presumably for the same reason as mpu-401 is supposed to be enabled by default). Has anyone with Aztech cards seen/solved this kind of issue before? It had been working fine with my SC-7 previously so not sure what's going on, I'm thinking some kind of conflict but cant change addresses and IRQ's on mpu-401 until it's enabled successfully.

cheers.

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, that's a third-gen non-PnP card with AZT2316R chip.

First check: which config util are you using? For 3rd gen it should be CONFIG.EXE, preferably from the Aztech driver pack http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 788&menustate=0

More specifically, there are versions of the Pro 16 II with 2nd gen AZT-1605 chipset (you don't have that) and others with the 3rd gen AZT2316R chipset. So if you unpack the driver pack and go to the "P16II" directory, index.txt tells you that you need the P16IIB-1.ZIP and P16IIB-2.ZIP archives for DOS installation with AZT2316R chipset.

Using the correct one? Then that's not the problem. Conflicts probably are. Is it a PnP (PCI) system? If so, it's highly likely something in PnP eat the relevant resources. On 486 how to configure that can differ from board to board (sometimes you reserve resources for legacy non-PnP, sometimes you reserve resources PnP can use and sometimes you have to manually say which slot gets which PnP resource). IRQ2/9 and 5 need to be reserved / not used by PnP in that case, and I'm guessing it's 2/9 that's the problem, not 5.

Not PnP? Then it's time to physically remove other cards...

Reply 5 of 6, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2021-09-28, 23:36:

You seem to be knowledgeable about these cards. I hope you don't mind me asking what you can tell about the MMSD802? I have this card but don't know much about it. Is it worth keeping? I'm mostly into the DOS 286/386/486 era of computing.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-09-29, 10:11:
dionb wrote on 2021-09-28, 23:36:

You seem to be knowledgeable about these cards. I hope you don't mind me asking what you can tell about the MMSD802? I have this card but don't know much about it. Is it worth keeping? I'm mostly into the DOS 286/386/486 era of computing.

Thanks!

Two very good resources for Aztech cards:
https://ilovepa.ws/2017/06/08/aztech-sound-cards/
Aztech Sound Galaxy cards
Neither is 100% foolproof, but they're generally close enough.

MMSD802 is the original NX Pro, seemingly the commonest of Aztech's first generation controller cards. First gen means quite noisy (or rather: vulnerable to bus noise and ingress), but otherwise very serviceable SBPro2 compatibility. No MPU-401 compatible MIDI though, and this card lacks the WSS codec some others have, so no WSS either. What it does have is Covox and DSS compatibility, which is a nice novelty for very old games.

I have this card, and it's big brother the MMSN810 "Sound Galaxy Basic" - deceptive name as it's the most full-featured 1st gen card, basically the same plus WSS. I use them in a 486SX33 (actually UMC U5S) system for really old DOS stuff. It runs just about anything I throw at it, only Ultima 7 digital audio failed, but few cards manage that. If you want mid to late 1990s games, it's not perfect, as the lack of MIDI hurts (I use a MusicQuest card for hardware MPU-401 to solve that) and its noisiness becomes less authentic and more irritating there. A third-gen card like OP has would be a far better match for that era.