VOGONS

First post, by PaXLiCh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aztech Sound Galaxy Basic 16 - I38-MMSN810
trying to get this card to work in Windows.
got drivers here http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=41,36
PC 486DX-66 32mb
Address which can be configured with jumpers correctly set in resources for device.
This card works quite normally under DOS.
But when loaded into Windows 95, in the list of devices it is marked as "could not start, code 24", but does not show any resource conflicts.
Sometimes if change address or interruption / dma in the resources, then it turns out to be revived (the card stops noising, is determined by the system and a sound plays)
and if you just reboot, then the sound may not even be lost, and it will work fine.
If turn PC off and on, then the sound is no longer detected, you have to go to change the dma from for example 03 to 00 and the sound comes to life, then after "switching" it back from 00 to 03 so that the sound starts working again.
The AWE Blaster had a similar problem, but the opposite, in DOS the sound did not work until you run one utility, maybe also need to kick the card somehow?
Maybe something tricky needs to be done with the driver settings, maybe there is a way to find the problem with some utility?
Maybe I not understand the idea of resource values? Maybe card needed to be configured properly with HWSET to work under windows with same values of dma irq?

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you could be having PnP issues, with Win95 re-allocating resources in such a way as causing conflicts not present at boot (after BIOS did its PnP). The MMSN810 itself is non-PnP, so the problem is with something else on IRQ5 or DMA1 (assuming you set those values in the EEPROM config for the card). I'd try to figure out what is using those resources under Win95 and move it.

Reply 2 of 3, by PaXLiCh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find resources conflict. I turned off almost all devices. There are only two com devices (for the mouse), a keyboard, some system devices (timer, dma), a video card, even the system is loaded from the CF-IDE adapter, on which a special address is set. FDD and IDE and the parallel port on the multicard are disabled with jumpers. I tried to turn on the automatic resource setting for the sound card, then with the help of SGP16FIG.EXE I wrote the same values ​​into the card's memory. I can even run DEMOFM.EXE and SG3.EXE under Windows, and they will work. DEMO.EXE won't work, crashes. SG3.EXE plays almost everything, except for "SG 8-bit" sample (just crashes) and "SP VOICE" (warns about the ms-dos compatibility mode and the sound is ragged). Do I need to keep the settings for the sound card in autoexec.bat and config.sys?
Resources configured as:
I/O 0220-022F
I/O 0604-060B
I/O 0388-038B
IRQ 10
IRQ 11
DMA 03
DMA 01

SGP16FIG.EXE shows stored settings
Wave port base address...604H
SG/MIDI Base address.....220H
SG/MIDI IRQ Setting IRQ..10
DMA Channel Setting DMA..3
Game Port Setting........ENABLE
AT-BUS CD ROM Setting....PANASOINC
CD ROM Address Setting...320H

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are some pretty eccentric settings. It's entirely possible that you now have no conflicts, but that the software simply can't use it.

I'd suggest doing it the other way round:
- set default resources on card via non-PnP SGP16FIG:
Base Address 220H
IRQ 5 (or maybe 7, if LPT2 is disabled and you have good reason not to use 5)
DMA 1
WSS 530H
and unless you're actively using it, disable CD ROM and game port.
- be sure to reserve IRQ5 for non-PnP in BIOS
- then see if it works in DOS. That should be no problem.
- then try in Windows. If it fails look for conflicts. Randomly disabling stuff isn't the best way, let Windowns help you here:
http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tutr/conflict.htm

Go into Control Panel, run the System utility, and turn to the Device Manager page. Click on the Print button. Ask for a "System Summary".

That gives you a list of IRQs with what is on them. If you see two on IRQ5 you know what's causing the problems.