VOGONS

MS-Dos Soundcard with Ethernet?

Topic actions

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wonder, if there are any soundcards with network connector? I thought I saw online an Aztech card with internet connector. Do ethernet work in MS-Dos or they are some newer windows drivered cards?

Reply 2 of 28, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.
I'm not aware of a sound card with an integrated network adapter but I am aware of sound cards with integrated modem. As SRS made one, the Labs 3DStereo with Aztech chips, it can be what you have seen and misunderstood.
Internet ≠ Ethernet and Ethernet ≠ Network. Ethernet is a low level communication protocol. There are various type of networks that exists and most are well supported under DOS if using the appropriate software that have the appropriate driver for your NIC (Network Interface Card) and serial connection can be used too, the most simple being null modem to connect two machines.
So what would be your use case for networking in MS-DOS?

Last edited by Datadrainer on 2021-11-04, 21:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IBM Mwave ... soundcard & modem using the same DSP 😉

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is also a Conexant based one that came either as a stand-alone sound card or as a soundcard / modem combo.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 28, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: Amstrad Mega PC
*whistles inconspicuously* lololol

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 28, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2021-11-04, 21:37:

So what would be your use case for networking in MS-DOS?

I saw on internet computer like mine, and the owner was using it for BBS and even some sort of the internet browser.
I will use one port for xt2ide, and second must be a soundcard. No options for internet 🙁
comment-16090232407oi-SNFjask-Ph-Py1xbwfc-MD-w400.jpg

Reply 8 of 28, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2021-11-05, 01:25:

How about a parallel ethernet device? ie Xircom PE3

Some info at mbbrutman's (author of mTCP) pages - https://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/xircom_pe3.html

I know such device to exist but never seen one. Interesting to see. And, indeed, could answer to @Niezgodka problem.

Niezgodka wrote on 2021-11-04, 23:50:

I saw on internet computer like mine, and the owner was using it for BBS and even some sort of the internet browser.
I will use one port for xt2ide, and second must be a soundcard. No options for internet 🙁

On your photo, that is not a sound card with network capability. It is a full ISA NIC with 2 different ports, one being a 8P8C (commonly used today and often miscalled RJ45), the other being a DA15 (similar with PC joystick ports but with holding mechanism). The hole on the right is for another common network connector at the time, the BNC connector, not present here.

So if you want to populate your two ISA slot with an XTIDE and a sound card, you can look for a NIC on parallel port as @JidaiGeki linked or some PCMCIA based solution if the PC have PC Card slots. Or maybe by looking if a docking station with additional ISA slots exists.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 9 of 28, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is indeed correct - the DA15 is more commonly known as an AUI port, and it is for an external transceiver.

This picture shows an AUI port in use with a CentreCom 210 transceiver, giving the card (a WD 8003) the ability to connect to a modern twisted pair Ethernet switch:

pcjr_wd_cropped.jpg

(The RJ45 port on the card was for Lattisnet, which is not compatible with Ethernet. Hence the need to use the AUI port.)

Reply 10 of 28, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought to something just now by looking at some active topics. There is a fourth possibility. I think it should work great in you case: you can buy a network card with an EEPROM socket, populated or not. And burn XT-IDE BIOS to an EEPROM to put in the socket. There is a lot of tutorial on how to do this on the web. XT-IDE overrides the drive management part of a BIOS so its just a piece of code executed just after POST to hack things in memory and can be placed in any expansion card that can boot and have EEPROM BIOS. It allows to use LBA on old computer using the internal IDE port. So basically you don't need to have an XT-IDE card. In fact such cards exist mainly for the benefit to have a built-in CF port or IDE ports for PC that does not have any on the motherboard.

Last edited by Datadrainer on 2021-11-05, 20:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 28, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-11-04, 23:21:

Re: Amstrad Mega PC
*whistles inconspicuously* lololol

Nice. There's your soundcard with ethernet OP.

Though if I had a mega pc I'd go the other way and just make it output 15kHz all the time

Reply 12 of 28, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2021-11-05, 11:29:

On your photo, that is not a sound card with network capability. It is a full ISA NIC with 2 different ports, one being a 8P8C (commonly used today and often miscalled RJ45), the other being a DA15 (similar with PC joystick ports but with holding mechanism). The hole on the right is for another common network connector at the time, the BNC connector, not present here.

I know that is what he has, He has no XT-ide (he decided to go with original hdd).
Now I'm confused. I tried XT-ide card, but it turn out that toshiba uses different system and you need to have modified xt2ide
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … hiba_portables/

I will have one open ISA 16 bit slot after installing xt2ide (I contacted the author of that CF mod).
Having Sound card is a must, so if you can explain how else I can connect with network? All I want is to visit some BBS terminal style, but I have no idea how 🙁

Reply 13 of 28, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have nothing against using emulation software and a modern PC, I think using DOSBox-X [https://dosbox-x.com/] and your favorite MS-DOS BBS terminal is a good option. From my opinion, it is the best DOSBox fork out there and it has a native full support for the NE2000 network card, can emulate a modem too and of course it has a support for ANSI.

Edit: Of course you can use native solution too. SyncTERM [https://syncterm.bbsdev.net/] is very good multi-OS open source BBS terminal by example.

Reply 14 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Niezgodka wrote on 2021-11-05, 21:36:
I know that is what he has, He has no XT-ide (he decided to go with original hdd). Now I'm confused. I tried XT-ide card, but it […]
Show full quote

I know that is what he has, He has no XT-ide (he decided to go with original hdd).
Now I'm confused. I tried XT-ide card, but it turn out that toshiba uses different system and you need to have modified xt2ide

I will have one open ISA 16 bit slot after installing xt2ide (I contacted the author of that CF mod).
Having Sound card is a must, so if you can explain how else I can connect with network? All I want is to visit some BBS terminal style, but I have no idea how 🙁

It would be helpful if you actually said what type/model/manufacturer the exact computer you have is.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 15 of 28, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love such initiative. Hobbyists making fun projects for old or obscure hardware or simply trying to understand how they work and to document them. Sharing their work with everyone with a community spirit. There is always someone, somewhere without the time or the knowledge that will find this work useful and will be able to solve its problem thanks to it, even many years after.

Reply 16 of 28, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-06, 09:04:
I know that is what he has, He has no XT-ide (he decided to go with original hdd). Now I'm confused. I tried XT-ide card, but it […]
Show full quote

It would be helpful if you actually said what type/model/manufacturer the exact computer you have is.

Just a guess, from the photo, seems to be a Toshiba T5200. See if I'm lucky 😉

Reply 17 of 28, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Datadrainer wrote on 2021-11-06, 09:13:

Just a guess, from the photo, seems to be a Toshiba T5200. See if I'm lucky 😉

Interesting, Depending on the componentheight of the cards used, it is possible to use all three expansion connectors, ISA-16 ISA-8 & toshiba proprietary

Do not ask Why !

Reply 18 of 28, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote on 2021-11-04, 21:22:

I just wonder, if there are any soundcards with network connector? Do ethernet work in MS-Dos or they are some newer windows drivered cards?

The good news, one was announced in December 95, the bad news, it's a pcmcia card:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961113064028/htt … /king/index.htm

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics