First post, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dear hobby colleagues.
I need your help in installing the STB Ultrasound 32 Pro sound card
First of all I read this thread:
STB Ultrasound 32 Pro (Compaq Interwave sound card) - The comprehensive guide

Then I downloaded the necessary drivers from the link from the topic, but I still get an uninstalled card.
Tell me what to do to install the card?
I have updated EPPROM.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpgimage.jpg

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What version of DOS and Windows are you running?

What are the rest of your system specifications? Mostly just need to know the motherboard and if it supports PnP.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS7
Windows 98
MB SuperSocket 7 with Pentium 200MMX 100%PnP Compatible

I did not flash EPPROM to work with GUS PnP drivers

Card specs: Interwave revision C. AM78C201AKC

If this card cannot work with Compaq drivers, does that mean I need to flash EPROM to GUS PnP?

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might have time this weekend to go through my original instructions from scratch to make sure they are correct. From the output of the command prompt it looks like something is really screwy with your setup or card.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-22, 16:50:

I might have time this weekend to go through my original instructions from scratch to make sure they are correct. From the output of the command prompt it looks like something is really screwy with your setup or card.

Thank you. I will be wait your answer.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, there are some changes to the installation.
I flashed the card to GUS PnP and now it is detected by both init -v9 and unisound and all the drivers are installed in Windows 98.
In games, the card initializes as Gravis Ultrasound (Warcraft2), but I have no sound. Neither in Windows nor in DOS games I hear anything except the background in the headphones.
In the setup program, the card passes all tests for resources correctly.
I have never dealt with or configured GUS before. Why is there no sound?
I put memory on the card. There is no effect.

20211223-225522.jpg 20211223-225630.jpg 20211223-225847.jpg

Reply 6 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anything come out when you run the dxdiag sound and music tests?

Additional RAM on the card is only needed if you want to load larger sound banks.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 11, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dxdiag did not start.
In setup War2, when testing music and sound, it pretends to be playing, but without sound.
In Windows, winamp also seems to play files, but there is no sound.
I thought, maybe you need to configure the paths in the autoexec and config files, but on Windows they are still useless?
The problem in the card?

Reply 9 of 11, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jccwu wrote on 2021-12-23, 19:03:

After unisound initialization, no other utilities are needed for the card to work, right?

For DOS that should be correct. If unisound detects the card, there should be some output.

Last edited by MJay99 on 2021-12-25, 17:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here's how the problem was solved.
The card was re-flashed to the Compaq EPROM, after that a new Windows 98 was installed and the drivers from Compaq were installed on it, only after that the card started working.
init -v9 command now outputs correct data.
For the first time, for some reason, the firmware did not get up, as can be seen from the first post. Only after flashing to GUS and then back.
It is still unknown how to make it work in DOS.
20211224-234917.jpg 20211224-234814.jpg

Reply 11 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same card and also recall initially having problems with no sound output. I think after flashing it with the GUS PnP firmware did it work.

The only downside if using the Compaq firmware is that the Prepgame utility doesn't work - you need to first flash the card with the GUS PnP firmware, run Prepgame for your game and flash it back to the Compaq firmware.

I've since placed my card in storage but, I'm beginning to wonder whether not to just keep the card flashed with the GUS PnP firmware, forego some of the extra functionality, and call it day (but have better compatibility).