VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to set up the drivers for the onboard sound chip on my Chaintech motherboard, but no matter which drivers I try, they don't actually get installed — the sound card stays marked with a yellow question mark in Device Manager saying that the driver is not installed.

I've tried both 6.44 drivers from Phil's website and 6.39 from Vogonsdrivers. I'm running setup.exe in either case, follow the procedure until it prompts for reboot and then nothing. I'm using Windows 98SE and I've tried a clean reinstall 2 or 3 times.

I've tried Windows XP and the drivers work out of the box, so I can confirm the chip is functioning. Audio is enabled in BIOS although "legacy audio" option is disabled as I'm also using an AWE64 in this motherboard.

Could it be that the onboard chip needs different drivers than dedicated soundcard with the same C-Media chip? Ideally I want WDM drivers, but at this point I'm fine with whatever.

Otherwise the specs are:

Pentium 3 1.4GHz
512MB RAM
Abit GeForce 4 Ti4200 OTES
3COM 3C905 NIC
AWE64 Gold

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This particular board has a flaw, the 14.318MHz clock is missing on ISA slot and any card needing it will not function unless a modification is done :

ChaintechClockFix.jpg
Filename
ChaintechClockFix.jpg
File size
239.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

CMI8738 cards I have all need the clock from ISA to be present so this should be the problem why things do not work.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2022-01-04, 02:18:

This particular board has a flaw, the 14.318MHz clock is missing on ISA slot and any card needing it will not function unless a modification is done
CMI8738 cards I have all need the clock from ISA to be present so this should be the problem why things do not work.

I’ve read about that issue in regards to AWE64, but my Gold works without any problems (I didn’t do the mod).

Also the CMI chip works under WinXP.

And besides, wasn’t that chip used on a bunch of PCI soundcards and non-ISA mobos? Seems unlikely it would rely on ISA

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoops, I mixed it up with the ISA CMI8330, my bad.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜