VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was testing some recordings between different synthesizers and capture devices when I noticed that my SC-55 had an echo to it. I reinitialized it by holding the Instrument left/right buttons, resetting the power and clicking "all" and this made it return to normal. But I don't understand what happened to cause it to change.

I had previously reset my SC-55 and it does not have a battery inside to keep any such changes. I had it unplugged before powering it on for this new recording which had an echo. Unplugging it and powering it on again did not bring the echo back. I also tried changing the default Reverb and Chorus from 40/0 to 127/127 but did not notice any change in how the audio played back.

I did connect this to a computer with an MPU-401 to test some General MIDI playback recently but I would have thought that any setting would have been cleared after the device had been powered down for more than a day.

See attached for both audio recordings of Doom E1M1.

Attachments

• Filename
    E1M1_Normal.mp3
    File size
    2.29 MiB
    Downloads
    28 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    E1M1_Echo.mp3
    File size
    2.29 MiB
    Downloads
    24 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found that this was the result of playing a Warcraft 2 MIDI file which set the Chorus and Reverb to 64/64. It would appear that I have to reset the MIDI device between playing files to ensure that the synthesizer does not retain some old state which is not explicitly set by another file.

I tried the MIDI file in reset.zip from this thread but it did not reset the Chorus and Reverb. The reset tools provided by keropi in the same thread appear to be for DOS and will not run under 64-bit NT.

I also don't understand why this echo appears when the Warcraft MIDI sets the Chorus and Reverb to 64/64 but not when I change the setting manually. If I reset my SC-55 and set these values on the display I do not hear any change in the output.

What can I do to reset my SC-55 between playing MIDI files so that I don't have to perform a manual reset every time with the buttons on the front panel? The defaults are: Level: 100 / Pan: 0 / Reverb: 40 / Chorus: 0.

See attached MIDI files for reproducing my issue.

Attachments

• Filename
    E1M1.zip
    File size
    7.18 KiB
    Downloads
    28 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    HUMAN1.zip
    File size
    12.12 KiB
    Downloads
    28 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-01-17, 01:39:
I found that this was the result of playing a Warcraft 2 MIDI file which set the Chorus and Reverb to 64/64. It would appear tha […]
Show full quote

I found that this was the result of playing a Warcraft 2 MIDI file which set the Chorus and Reverb to 64/64. It would appear that I have to reset the MIDI device between playing files to ensure that the synthesizer does not retain some old state which is not explicitly set by another file.

I tried the MIDI file in reset.zip from this thread but it did not reset the Chorus and Reverb. The reset tools provided by keropi in the same thread appear to be for DOS and will not run under 64-bit NT.

I also don't understand why this echo appears when the Warcraft MIDI sets the Chorus and Reverb to 64/64 but not when I change the setting manually. If I reset my SC-55 and set these values on the display I do not hear any change in the output.

What can I do to reset my SC-55 between playing MIDI files so that I don't have to perform a manual reset every time with the buttons on the front panel? The defaults are: Level: 100 / Pan: 0 / Reverb: 40 / Chorus: 0.

See attached MIDI files for reproducing my issue.

Try

Filename
GS-RESET.zip
File size
690 Bytes
Downloads
33 downloads
File license

Source : https://www.midimusicadventures.com/2011/05/gs-reset/

Reply 3 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That works perfectly. Thank you!

It works well on my Roland SC-55 but using it on my Yamaha MU-50 (I know it's not a GS device) misconfigures it with the wrong instruments and causes its own playback problems.

Is there a MIDI file that will work for my Yamaha synthesizer as well?

Reply 4 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was testing some recordings between different synthesizers and capture devices when I noticed that my SC-55 had an echo to it. I reinitialized it by holding the Instrument left/right buttons, resetting the power and clicking "all" and this made it return to normal. But I don't understand what happened to cause it to change.

So what happened was most probably a SysEx reverb or chorus type change, changing reverb from Hall 2 to Hall 1, or changing chorus from Chorus 2 (is that the default, I forget?) to a Delay or something. (There's multiple types of Reverb and Chorus effect, if you weren't aware.)

It's not related to effect levels (the 0-127 value), although it should be exacerbated by it (it should sound a lot more echoey at 127/127 than 64/64, for example).

Resetting resets the whole system, so it puts the reverb/chorus effects back to their default types.

There is a way to do it on the front panel, you have to hold All and something else, I can't remember without the unit in front of me. But there's a menu that goes to system settings, effects is one of them, and then you can see what Reverb and Chorus type are set to.

Reply 5 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-01-17, 05:37:

That works perfectly. Thank you!

It works well on my Roland SC-55 but using it on my Yamaha MU-50 (I know it's not a GS device) misconfigures it with the wrong instruments and causes its own playback problems.

Is there a MIDI file that will work for my Yamaha synthesizer as well?

Try this for XG synths .

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/ProductMedia … DI/GMXGrset.mid

Reply 6 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-01-17, 17:21:

This doesn't seem to do anything for my Yamaha MU-50. I tried playing a file which altered the Reverb/Chorus and this did not restore them to the defaults. I also tried running it after the GS reset MIDI file to see if it would restore the instruments that it broke but it did not.