VOGONS

First post, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I built up a Packard Bell FORCE 480CD system and had a spare Packard Bell OEM 2320 PnP card available so I put that in. The correct Master CD for this machine is not expecting this card (it wants a 2316) and installs the wrong drivers which do nothing.
Digging around I have the Master CD for my Platinum 44 which DOES have the correct driver package but even though I've extracted it from the CD and unpacked the cab file I can't make them install. Running setup it thinks the files in the directory are still on floppies and fails asking for disk 1. Manually installing the drivers with Add New Hardware it can't find a number of files after feeding it the .inf and so everything seems to load (even the modem is working), except for the actual wave driver. I have the exact same card in the 44 right now and that one works, so the driver on that master CD should be the correct one. That's the CD I used to restore that machine.

What am I missing?

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AZT2320 is supported natively in WIn98SE. It's a PnP chipset, so you shouldn't need to manually choose Add New Hardware, unless you're using a non-PnP OS (Windows 3.11?)

Reply 4 of 4, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-02-16, 06:21:
CelGen wrote on 2022-02-16, 03:09:

Manually installing the drivers with Add New Hardware it can't find a number of files

You are missing files? What files.

pnpisa.dat
wwav.inf
mwwav.dll

It was a bunch of files that were not found anywhere on the machine, so they were not mispointed files. It's like the preloaded drivers only had the bare essentials and you are screwed if you had to reinstall them.
So plan B hit me this morning that I had a third machine, a Platinum 1, I didn't really care for it using the original Master CD, but it currently had a 2316 chipset card still in it, so I switched cards out and that resolved my original issue by giving the system and its Master CD a card it had drivers for and the Platinum 1 was happy being given the 2320 and the newer Master CD with the 2320 drivers. Both systems worked out of the gate after that.
Probably not really the solution people wanted to hear as it never solved the driver issue, but at least I can say I tried Oetker's link and those also seemed to work, but I did the card swap anyways.

AZT2320 is supported natively in WIn98SE. It's a PnP chipset, so you shouldn't need to manually choose Add New Hardware, unless you're using a non-PnP OS (Windows 3.11?)

Windows 95.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif