VOGONS

Reply 20 of 135, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Yamaha GS implementation certainly isn't something I want to get caught on. But I would like it recorded. I do miss my MU2000EX!

Found out that the JV-50 operates in 18-bit mode, so given it has other extra components, it's a slightly higher quality SC-55mkII, potentially the second highest SC-55 for output quality. With the highest quality probably being the CM-300 and its BurrBrown PCM61, although I'm not sure about the other components.

Reply 21 of 135, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a few quick picks of my FM Towns FMT-403 Roland SC-55 Mk2 MIDI board. There was also a later revision called FMT-403A. No idea what was changed, retail price was the same.
It's a rather odd design, the daughterboard actually has chips on the underside as well, and the whole board is hard soldered and suspended by SMD legs.

KIMG0893.jpg
KIMG0895.jpg
KIMG0896.jpg

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 22 of 135, by jaffa225man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a link to pictures I took of the INTEGRA-7 so you may be able to name the DAC: https://imgur.com/gallery/k4hHXLr.

Edit: Oh, I think I've identified it myself (Cirrus Logic CS4398-CZZ): https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs4398/. It's in this shot barely readable and overexposed: hm4AIEc.jpeg (Sub Board Assembly Lower-Middle),

and this one clearer, but darker: VlUqa9Q.jpeg (Sub Board Assembly Middle).

The ADC appears to be a Cirrus Logic/Wolfson WM8782A (mine seems to be "WM8782AS").

Reply 24 of 135, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that, guys. Hopefully will have an updated project document soon with the new info and contributors and their synths listed too.

I'll try to come up with some Test MIDI files soon, at least to get us started with.

Maybe the All-Stars MIDI by Roland, and some other demo songs, would be a good way to test the GS units.

Can always add more in later, such as gaming staples like Gabriel Knight's "St. George's Book Shop", or Quest for Glory 4's "Main Title Theme", or even King's Quest 6's "Black Widow Vamp" or "Chessboard Land".

Reply 26 of 135, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2022-03-16, 10:51:
Thanks for that, guys. Hopefully will have an updated project document soon with the new info and contributors and their synths […]
Show full quote

Thanks for that, guys. Hopefully will have an updated project document soon with the new info and contributors and their synths listed too.

I'll try to come up with some Test MIDI files soon, at least to get us started with.

Maybe the All-Stars MIDI by Roland, and some other demo songs, would be a good way to test the GS units.

Can always add more in later, such as gaming staples like Gabriel Knight's "St. George's Book Shop", or Quest for Glory 4's "Main Title Theme", or even King's Quest 6's "Black Widow Vamp" or "Chessboard Land".

If you want to really test SC-55 level GS, some Japanese stuff should be included. X68000 is the king of GS. Metal Orange EX and Hellhound really push the 55 to it's limits.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 27 of 135, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In addition to others, I've got my MT-200, MT-300, SD-20, and both my MT-90S and MT-90U that I can record from.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 28 of 135, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

should go nice with the wavetable comparison thread

My Wavetable Sample Thread

I have an EMU SoundEngine I can record

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 29 of 135, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should we have a spreadsheet or something to keep track of who's recording on what module?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 30 of 135, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote on 2022-03-17, 05:11:

Should we have a spreadsheet or something to keep track of who's recording on what module?

Yeah, good call. Since this is getting bigger by the day, and people are mentioning GM modules, it'll be much handier to use Excel for that side of things.

Reply 31 of 135, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-03-16, 13:11:
Spikey wrote on 2022-03-16, 10:51:
Thanks for that, guys. Hopefully will have an updated project document soon with the new info and contributors and their synths […]
Show full quote

If you want to really test SC-55 level GS, some Japanese stuff should be included. X68000 is the king of GS. Metal Orange EX and Hellhound really push the 55 to it's limits.

@SuperDeadite, I'm not trying to make an ultimate test for the SC-55, rather, a basic test so people can compare how the different versions of each sound. Regardless of Japanese titles being included (which most people won't have a reference for anyway), people should be able to do that.

Current goal is to use Roland MIDI files for the Sound Canvas and variants, and save GM gaming tracks for the General MIDI comparison, to follow at some point.

Either way, I plan on using GM files for both, with maybe one GS Roland MIDI for the Sound Canvas side of things.

Reply 32 of 135, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-16, 12:40:

Anyone recorded SD-35 so far? I can do that.

Hey there,

No, and even if they had, duplicates are encouraged, see OP and project document. 😀

Reply 33 of 135, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I checked the document and it had no mention of the SD-35 but it's GS capability is (rumoredly) the equivalent of the SC-55 so I'd be happy to submit recordings when the MID files are ready.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34 of 135, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-17, 06:46:

[...]SD-35 [...]

Noooooo ... you've ninja'd me (by hours)! 😁

Got one too. And SC-55, but thats already covered I guess.

Attachments

• sd-35.jpg
    Filename
    sd-35.jpg
    File size
    327.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Nothing ever burns down by itself
Every fire needs a little bit of help

Reply 35 of 135, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a SC-50 and a SC-7, if no one else is providing them.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 36 of 135, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Digitalzombie wrote on 2022-03-17, 10:55:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-17, 06:46:

[...]SD-35 [...]

Noooooo ... you've ninja'd me (by hours)! 😁

Got one too. And SC-55, but thats already covered I guess.

You can cover that device if you want, mine is in need of a bit of maintenance. Stop button not working (probably needs switch replacement) and floppy not working (replaced with a black gotek but not quite the same thing 😁)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37 of 135, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-17, 12:27:

You can cover that device if you want [...]

Yay! 😁
Gonna get it out of storage this weekend then.

===

Slightly offtopic:
On the other side ... THANKS @Spikey !!!!!
Because of this thread, while searching for a pic to post for the SD-35, I came across an SC-88 for sale and grabbed it immediately....... 100€ / 110 USD

Nothing ever burns down by itself
Every fire needs a little bit of help

Reply 38 of 135, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I'm confused. Thought this was going to be a 55 based comparison. Which to me means only devices with official GS support. SC-7 was never meant to be a 55. E-Mu Sound Engine is a Waveblaster... I think including such extras kind of defeats the point imo.

Reply 39 of 135, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-03-17, 12:55:

Now I'm confused. Thought this was going to be a 55 based comparison. Which to me means only devices with official GS support. SC-7 was never meant to be a 55. E-Mu Sound Engine is a Waveblaster... I think including such extras kind of defeats the point imo.

Sorry, I might have skipped through the thread, I was going from the OP:

I'm starting a project for recordings of as many of the Sound Canvas variants as possible, with a dual focus on the SC-55 era and the SC-88 and later era. The SC-55 uses a sample set unique to itself, with the 88 and later changing some waveforms.
Currently, the focus is on the Sound Canvas GM set, but if things go well, I will likely be launching a full GM synth project as a different project. See project document for further notes and details.

Surely the SC-50 and SC-7 are Sound Canvas variants that have the Sound Canvas GM set? Anyway, was just suggesting if the recordings were required, will not submit if not.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50