User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-07-20, 16:56:
sparky4 wrote on 2022-07-19, 15:11:
i found a bad bug in 1.00 […]
Show full quote

i found a bad bug in 1.00

load the modm from floppy from a directory not \ and swap it out and try to get it to load the new floppy's parent directory

hit up and down arrow keys and bam! glitches!
😁 this software is awesome keep it up! <3

Who still use floppy ? 😀

I do 😁
would you release the source code?
if you do then i could probably get folks on FreeDOS package people to make a package for it for people to use it in FreeDOS 😁
so that way many more people can use it xD 😁

wwww

Reply 42 of 90, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-07-20, 16:56:
sparky4 wrote on 2022-07-19, 15:11:
i found a bad bug in 1.00 […]
Show full quote

i found a bad bug in 1.00

load the modm from floppy from a directory not \ and swap it out and try to get it to load the new floppy's parent directory

hit up and down arrow keys and bam! glitches!
:D this software is awesome keep it up! <3

Who still use floppy ? :)

Wait, I do !!
Also modm.exe shrinks quite a bit using DIET :D ... so I could fit more music on the floppy..

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 43 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Post in a Discord channel made me think about my Mixing Code:
Yes, a Speedup is still possible, as well as code size reduction.

Started to work on it 😀

Thinking about Dual DAC (Stereo), PAnning in software mixing and Interpolation.

Work need to be done on .XM replay, there are bugs in so many files....

I am not totally focused on Mod Master anyway, as I think about the PiGUS, ISAPi board, CH376 ISA USB.

Reply 45 of 90, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First pr0st!
Also: https://anduin.net/~ltning/MODMXT100.zip

Consider it as permanent mirror as anything on the Internet can reasonably be expected to be - I've been running that server since 1998. No plans to stop.

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 46 of 90, by Retromafioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using this via 86box and I gotta say I'm very impressed! The VGM player included is really amazing as well, especially since it can play VGM files of any version, which I know some players have issues with. I'd really love to see this go open source!

Speaking of open source, the one thing I'd love would be for the module player code from 8088mph to be integrated. I'm sure it'd be very difficult to get working, but it'd let you play back modules via the PC speaker on an 8088! Here's the exact piece of code if you want to take a look:
https://github.com/reenigne/reenigne/blob/mas … credits/mod.asm

Reply 47 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Retromafioso wrote on 2022-09-23, 20:39:

I've been using this via 86box and I gotta say I'm very impressed! The VGM player included is really amazing as well, especially since it can play VGM files of any version, which I know some players have issues with. I'd really love to see this go open source!

Speaking of open source, the one thing I'd love would be for the module player code from 8088mph to be integrated. I'm sure it'd be very difficult to get working, but it'd let you play back modules via the PC speaker on an 8088! Here's the exact piece of code if you want to take a look:
https://github.com/reenigne/reenigne/blob/mas … credits/mod.asm

Hi,

For Open source, I want to release it yes, but I still need to cleanup, document and so on.
For info, I sent the source to Jim Leonard, so in case something happens to me, there is a copy somewhere 😀

Regarding the 8088 code, it is impossible to add, as 8086mph play only 256byte long samples looped.
This is "The" trick that make it fast. Also, the partition is converted to a series of internal commands.
> It is not a "True" Mod Player.

I improved the PC Speaker replay speed in Mod MAster V1.0 Vs the latest Beta, it "can" play close to 16KHz on a 8086 8MHz
I started code to improve it more : Mix at 8KHz, double the rate to output at 16KHz
Then, Move the output buffer to the code segment to increase the speed a little more(Remove 4 instruction per IRQ) > Plan is to eventually release a "PC Speaker/Covox" Only version as this will increase the code size too much

I also need to improve the PC Speaker PWM table .

Reply 49 of 90, by chjmartin2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-04-05, 10:19:

Need a patch to support CGA, No Monochrome text support.

Is there a patch available to add CGA support to GLX? I am so excited to have found this thread - can't wait to try Mod Master today!

Reply 50 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chjmartin2 wrote on 2022-10-21, 17:18:
FreddyV wrote on 2022-04-05, 10:19:

Need a patch to support CGA, No Monochrome text support.

Is there a patch available to add CGA support to GLX? I am so excited to have found this thread - can't wait to try Mod Master today!

Yes there is a version of GLX with CGA.
Mod Master is really ahead of GLX now, no more comparison possible.
I spent much more time on Mod Master to achieve this anyway.
And GLX Author job was working on the Epic Games Sound engine (My Dream was to have an equivalent job, but I did something else) so respect to him 😀

Reply 51 of 90, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a tiny thing to report: When I switch my KVM to my testing machine late, it sometimes comes up with a monochrome setting.

Starting modm, it realizes that and reports a monochrome display on startup, but then doesn't really work: It shows the mouse cursor, but nothing else. Exiting and restarting modm, it does come up correctly.

I haven't tried much, since it's not an intended usage of mine anyways, but who knows, maybe it's similar on other monochrome displays.

Apart from that, it's been working perfectly well every time I used it in the recent months - it's become my default DOS player across all platforms.

There's one very minor UI feature request while using it: would it be possible to assign the 'Enter' key to going back to the file selector also? Going through many modules fast, it either needs two hands (cursors on the right, plus escape key on the left) or aiming all across the keyboard. 😁

Reply 52 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Nice 😀 I think you already asked for the enter key.
I have low time for the moment, maybe a new version in 5/6 month.
I would like to improve again the PC Speaker output 😀
I also succeeded to improve the mixing speed (Core mixing code) With instructions swap and alignment change (3% Faster)

Reply 53 of 90, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really did, surprised you remembered, as even I wasn't sure about it anymore 😀
It definitely doesn't warrent a release for such a minor thing, of course, but it'll be a welcome improvement whenever it might make it.

Definitely curious if the improved mixing is going to allow for a little bit higher mixing rate on an XT.

As always, thanks for your player, like unisound it's become one of the go-to things to have on an old machine for me!

Reply 54 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MJay99 wrote on 2022-11-27, 14:03:

As always, thanks for your player, like unisound it's become one of the go-to things to have on an old machine for me!

You will surely liek my next release (Some month away as well)
This time, it is hardware and software 😀
> My PicoMEM project

Reply 55 of 90, by chjmartin2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi FreddyV - really love Mod-Master. I can get Stereo sound on my XT (with a Breakthrough 286 installed) using 22050 on an ESS Audio Drive 1868 16 bit running in the 8 bit slot. This is the reason for my question. Does the player support 16 bit playback via the SB16 and if so, could we have 16 bit playback on the ESS Audiodrive?

Reply 56 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chjmartin2 wrote on 2022-12-02, 16:44:

Hi FreddyV - really love Mod-Master. I can get Stereo sound on my XT (with a Breakthrough 286 installed) using 22050 on an ESS Audio Drive 1868 16 bit running in the 8 bit slot. This is the reason for my question. Does the player support 16 bit playback via the SB16 and if so, could we have 16 bit playback on the ESS Audiodrive?

Hi,
I am pleased that you like Mod Master 😀
Yes, 16Bit is supported but not in stereo (I disabled it as it need too many memory)
I think that ESS is not SB16 compatible, so 16Bit is nto possible.

Reply 57 of 90, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2022-12-06, 15:35:

I think that ESS is not SB16 compatible, so 16Bit is nto possible.

While it is not SB16-compatible, it is still possible to add 16-bit mixing in DOS for WSS-compatible and ESS AudioDrive sound cards. MPXPLAY, Impulse Tracker and some DOS games actually support this natively.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 58 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-06, 16:16:

While it is not SB16-compatible, it is still possible to add 16-bit mixing in DOS for WSS-compatible and ESS AudioDrive sound cards. MPXPLAY, Impulse Tracker and some DOS games actually support this natively.

I added the 16Bit mixing more for fun than really to use it.
As my real target for Mod Master XT is XT and 286.
I did not expect that ppls like to use it for 386 or more 😀

Reply 59 of 90, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2023-02-03, 11:07:
I added the 16Bit mixing more for fun than really to use it. As my real target for Mod Master XT is XT and 286. I did not expect […]
Show full quote
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-06, 16:16:

I added the 16Bit mixing more for fun than really to use it.
As my real target for Mod Master XT is XT and 286.
I did not expect that ppls like to use it for 386 or more 😀

No worries, it is interesting due to being the only application (that I know at least) for XT-class computers having this capability. 😀

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS