Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote on 2023-03-13, 23:48:

any update on the source code release?

i would like to fix it up for ya

Hi,

Fix the floppy problem ?

I think I already modified something, but it is not released.
I sill have too many time taken by the PicoMEM.

Reply 63 of 90, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just put together my XT test system with an SBPRO2 and listening to mods on it. Naturally I got the idea to look back if there's a new version of ModMaster - and there is! I'll have to try it as soon as I can muster the energy and motivation to forward it to the XT's SCSI HDD....

(And it tells you for how long I haven't looked back... OMG...)

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 64 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote on 2023-04-02, 13:42:

Just put together my XT test system with an SBPRO2 and listening to mods on it. Naturally I got the idea to look back if there's a new version of ModMaster - and there is! I'll have to try it as soon as I can muster the energy and motivation to forward it to the XT's SCSI HDD....

(And it tells you for how long I haven't looked back... OMG...)

What was the last version you used ?

Reply 65 of 90, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:00:

Hm, I had a MODM15 folder on the XT HDD, but I certainly tried newer.... anyway, today I connected my USB FDD to my light online PC and then a bog standard 1.44 drive to the XT (via a tiny FDC card with an own BIOS and jumpers for drive types, a neat little thing!) and now it works. I'm not sure about its performance, it can surely max out the SBPRO2 stereo mode at 21.7kHz with 4 channel mods but even for 6 channels it's already too much. If there's a speed change from the old one it mustn't be huge. And I still haven't tried GUS on the XT, it feels off somehow 😁
Do I need some Ultrinit replacement....?

Reply 66 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote on 2023-04-03, 20:53:
FreddyV wrote on 2023-04-03, 10:00:

Hm, I had a MODM15 folder on the XT HDD, but I certainly tried newer.... anyway, today I connected my USB FDD to my light online PC and then a bog standard 1.44 drive to the XT (via a tiny FDC card with an own BIOS and jumpers for drive types, a neat little thing!) and now it works. I'm not sure about its performance, it can surely max out the SBPRO2 stereo mode at 21.7kHz with 4 channel mods but even for 6 channels it's already too much. If there's a speed change from the old one it mustn't be huge. And I still haven't tried GUS on the XT, it feels off somehow 😁
Do I need some Ultrinit replacement....?

Ultrinit is working on XT computer.
There is performance increase, as I added more buffers for mixing.
Plus all the Adlib file format, support for OPLLPT, TDYLPT and so on. there is really lot of updates, you can see them in the revision history.

Reply 67 of 90, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bit the bullet this afternoon and set up a GUS in this XT board. Well, two different ones as the ACE I tried first didn't really work as I wanted it to. After two unsuccessful tries it finally started to play music in ModMaster but it was quite garbled. When I removed the turbo jumper it started to play correctly - for like 3 mins. Then it went garbled again and no amount of Ultrinit could bring it back. Well, most of the times even Ultrinit couldn't see the card and it kept playing some looped samples through two resets and a dozen unsuccessful Ultrinits...

The second card I tried is a Primax clone, for all intents and purposes equivalent to a 3.74 Classic. And it seems to work well, playing 400k+ 16-channel mods on an XT feels just satisfying in a twisted way 😁

One side note - ModMaster said it found OPL3 at 388h port, well I can assure everyone that it isn't there, I definitely removed every SB before inserting any GUS...

Last edited by alvaro84 on 2023-04-12, 14:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 68 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote on 2023-04-11, 18:16:

One side note - ModMaster said it found OPL3 at 388h port, well I can assure everyone that it isn't there, I definitely removed every SB before inserting any GUS...

The GUS emulate the Adlib ports used for Adlib detection.
The only way I fount to disable it is Ultrinit, I found no documentation anywhere how to disable it.

Reply 69 of 90, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem, I have enough common sense not to try to play OPL music on the GUS, especially not on an XT 😁 Oh, OPL. I have a pile of .HSC music, do you plan to support these? They have a very simple structure, exactly like some uncompressed module - with OPL2 instruments.

Reply 70 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote on 2023-04-12, 18:44:

No problem, I have enough common sense not to try to play OPL music on the GUS, especially not on an XT 😁 Oh, OPL. I have a pile of .HSC music, do you plan to support these? They have a very simple structure, exactly like some uncompressed module - with OPL2 instruments.

Do you have a link to the file format ?

I am working to put Mod Master source to GitHub 😀

Reply 71 of 90, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2023-05-31, 14:47:

Hell no... Damn, I read something back, like 25 years ago... IIIRC it's a very simple format with uncompressed 9*64 patterns that can change instruments any time but default to the first 9 instruments by default. I surely can't make up a detailed description from this info...
Sorry, I'm so ...asocial, I can't even comprehend github, how can a person use it for ...what...?
(OMG it seems I've taken over the topic, what, sorry...)

Reply 72 of 90, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What version of ModMaster should be used on XT 9.54 with Nec V20. To my ears the 2.2 XT sounds pretty good on CT4170 in EuroPC.
glx_cga produces strange crackeling noises while playing mod-files. this is gone using modmaster. so thank you for this nice software!

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 73 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-06-12, 21:03:

What version of ModMaster should be used on XT 9.54 with Nec V20. To my ears the 2.2 XT sounds pretty good on CT4170 in EuroPC.
glx_cga produces strange crackeling noises while playing mod-files. this is gone using modmaster. so thank you for this nice software!

Hi,

Simply use the last version, Mod Master XT 1.0 😀

Reply 75 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-06-12, 21:03:

Did you succeed to have it working ?

Reply 77 of 90, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote on 2023-06-11, 14:22:
FreddyV wrote on 2023-05-31, 14:47:

Hell no... Damn, I read something back, like 25 years ago... IIIRC it's a very simple format with uncompressed 9*64 patterns that can change instruments any time but default to the first 9 instruments by default. I surely can't make up a detailed description from this info...

This old QuickBASIC source for an HSC player may shed some light on the HSC format. It looks like 128 instruments * 12 bytes at the beginning of the file. Followed by a 50-byte song table, one ignored byte, and then (up to) 50 patterns?

Attachments

• Filename
    hscqb2.bas.txt
    File size
    6.24 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 78 of 90, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-07, 11:35:

Yes, I works on my EuroPC with V20, design/optik is better on glx, but it's about sound not design. Thx!

What have glx fast is a trick that reduce its sound quality, I never wanted to do this in Mod Master.

Reply 79 of 90, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like dos shell functionality ('D' key) is broken in XT v1. It switches to text mode. Music continues to play, displays relevant message ("Free Memory ..., type exit to return..")but it never gives you DOS prompt.

DOS shell is working fine in legacy 2.3 version.