VOGONS

First post, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I recently bought a Gravis Ultrasound Classic board revision 2.4 on eBay. It's not being detected by ultrinit.exe. The card is being detected on port 240, which I've jumpered the card onto, by setup.exe. The seller said that he was able to get it to make some noises, but that he "was no expert on this." Unlike other posts on the subject that I've seen here, there's no locking up.

Ultrinit.exe says "No Ultrasound detected." I looked things up and all the jumpers where the daughterboard would go are in the right location. Also, the game port is jumpered to enabled.

I have a Super Socket 7 PC with an Asus P5A motherboard running the latest beta BIOS. In the AGP slot is a Voodoo5 5500. Please don't judge me on that. I only have room for one retro PC in my apartment. In a PCI slot, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. In the first ISA slot, I have a Yamaha Audician 32 Plus with a Serdaco X2GS wavetable header card. I have a SATA solid state drive and a DVD-RW drive plugged into the primary IDE cable and an SD-to-IDE adapter plugged into the second IDE cable. I'm also using a Gotek floppy emulator.

My autoexec.bat is:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

SET ULTRASND=240,5,5,3,3
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULT
C:\ULT\ULTRINIT.EXE

LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX /D:MSCD000

LH C:\CTMOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE /3

I'm using the Lucky Goldstar CDROM driver and cutemouse 2.04.

My config.sys is as follows:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /v

I've tried all kinds of DMA and IRQ combinations for the GUS. None are working. In the GUS setup.exe, all DMAs and IRQs fail.

The Yamaha card is set up properly. It's on port 220.

I'm using the presetup ULT folder that's available through https://retronn.de/imports/gus_config_guide.html.

The DIP modules are very hot to the touch after turning off the PC. Is that normal? I'm using an anti-ESD bracelet. I have D424256C-70 DIP modules coming in the mail in a few days. I know that that part is good because I previously had a GUS Classic board revision 3.74, but I sold it because I was going through something.

I have enabled Delayed Transaction in the BIOS to see if that would help. It did not.

I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this board to run. Thank you so much.

Edit: Serial and parallel ports are disabled in the BIOS. USB and infrared are also disabled in the BIOS. I'm using my mouse and keyboard with PS/2 to USB adapters.

Last edited by MrDeeWilliams on 2022-04-02, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DRAM chips should barely be warm. Since they are hot it is quite likely they are inserted backwards and that can lead to dead GF1 chip. Show a photo of the card please.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-04-02, 22:17:

The DRAM chips should barely be warm. Since they are hot it is quite likely they are inserted backwards and that can lead to dead GF1 chip. Show a photo of the card please.

Wow! Thank you! I had initially removed the RAM chips that it came with to place in my spare NEC chips. When that wasn't working, I had removed the NEC chips and placed the chips the card came with back in. I had assumed that the chip labels should be facing upright when the ISA connector is at the bottom of the card.

My power supply is a Corsair HX1200, by the way.

Attachments

Last edited by MrDeeWilliams on 2022-05-09, 00:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 24, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The notch on the chip is how you tell which way round it goes - it should be on the same side as the notch on the socket. In this case the socket notches are facing right towards the GF1 chip but it looks like you've got the two RAM chips installed with their notches facing left. Assuming all the sockets are around the same way that would mean the two RAM chips are inserted the wrong way round.

Reply 4 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, these chips are installed backwards. As said in previous post, the notch on left of the chip needs to align with what the socket has, it shows the first pin position and that must be aligned.

This is bad though, if you are lucky only the RAM chip died and not the GF1 chip. I once revived a GUS ACE that had the RAM installed backwards, both the chip and GF1 were dead due to it and I had to use another GUS to revive it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@tiido and @davidrg

Thank you so much! I would've never figured this out by myself. It makes sense that they were installed backwards, but I didn't know to look for the notches.

I accidentally broke a leg off of the original RAM chips and I placed in both of my spare NEC RAM chips. I now see a message that says "Ultrasound detected." I will do additional testing.

Edit: My NEC chips were also placed in backwards previously.

Edit 2: I don't know how extensive or reliable it is, but the Gravis memory test is showing all 256 KB of memory as good. I think (and hope) that I'm still dealing with IRQ conflicts.

Edit 3: I never would've known if I hadn't asked; however, the information on how to place the memory chips was in the manual that I paid good money for. I'm sorry. I've been very tired lately. Good news is that sound effects are working in Jazz Jackrabbit! From what I understand, I need separate IRQs to have music and sound play from the GUS in Jazz Jackrabbit. It seems that I would've been better off with a pure DOS machine for such endeavors. I suppose that putting such a card from 1992/1993 in a PC with a CPU and GPU from 1999/2000 doesn't make too much sense. Like I said, though, I only have room for one retro computer and I made the choice to go for a Super Socket 7 build. Nonetheless, I tried to go beyond what's easily feasible. I actually just removed a Diamond Monster MX300 from the build. I found a script on these forums that allows me to use both an EAX and A3D sound card by swapping the a3d.dll file after boot. The script works, but I ended up with four sound cards in the PC.

Maybe, the buyer knew when I sold my previous GUS. I sold that card with all banks populated the wrong way. I hate to be so wasteful. I've been going through a lot. I didn't feel able to ask these kinds of questions on these forums when I had sold my previous GUS Classic.

Reply 6 of 24, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GUS setup program is a bit picky during resource allocation.
Try to remove as many other cards as possible before doing the ressource allocation (IRQ, DMA).
And, yes, you need 2 IRQs and 2 DMAs.

Reply 7 of 24, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Disruptor wrote on 2022-04-03, 10:03:

And, yes, you need 2 IRQs and 2 DMAs.

Not really in the case of DMA channels. The secondary DMA on the GUS is used for recording and using different DMA channels will only achieve full duplex mode.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't have the manual when I had my previous GUS Classic. Nonetheless, when I skimmed that part of the manual after initially swapping out the RAM chips, I had assumed that "the notches" had been referring to the contacts on the RAM chips. Also, because I have the WSS/16-bit recording daughterboard, I sold my previous GUS Classic without the jumpers on the pins that the daughterboard is placed on. It's only now when browsing these forums that I found that the installation disks for that daughterboard are nowhere to be found.

Thank you, Disruptor and Gmlb256. I'll see what I'll be able to do there, though I've seen on these forums that the resource allocation part of the setup doesn't work too well on Plug and Play operating systems.

Reply 10 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2022-04-04, 02:51:

I got my GUS classic to run on Win95 but not on Win98, but I guess you will use your other sound cards on non-DOS operating systems.

That's correct. I tried getting the GUS Classic to run in on Windows 98. It was an ordeal. I had to enable USB in the BIOS to install the driver because my keyboard and mouse locked up.

I've removed the Diamond Monster MX300. My only PCI sound card now is an Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. I really liked the wavetable header on the Diamond Monster card, but there's less popping when I use headphones with it. In fact, I don't notice popping with the Audigy 2 ZS in my PC. Sure, I could've gotten them both to work using this script here: Win98 hardware profiles manage a3d.dll with different sound cards

I'm currently using a four-3.5mm audio jack mixer that I got on Amazon. I'm saving the fourth audio jack on the mixer for a MiSTer, which will be in a spare PC case on a JAMMIX board. I just don't have a DE10-Nano board right now. Currently, I plan to use my Compaq FS7600 monitor for both the MiSTer and my Windows 98 PC. I'm using a VGA KVM switch that I got on Amazon for such a solution.

Reply 11 of 24, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't bother installing the Windows driver for the GUS especially with that setup you have, the drivers aren't that useful without the WSS-compatible daughterboard on a GUS classic. Just use the DOS drivers and initialize it with ULTRINIT in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Even with an external mixer to handle multiple audio inputs which helps to avoid the GUS line-in port, you would probably need to re-run ULTRINIT (works within Windows too) after playing certain games using the GUS to avoid issues with some games such as Wolf3D where the sound won't get initialized properly.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 12 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. I disabled SYMBIOS SCSI BIOS and ECP DMA Select in the BIOS hoping that they'd help me out here. I've now just set USB IRQ to NA. I got sound working perfectly in Jazz Jackrabbit, which has been my test game for my GUS Classic. I then couldn't remember what settings I used in the game's setup utility! I currently don't have the GUS set up in my autoexec.bat. I've just been testing using Jazz Jackrabbit's setup.exe. I got it to work once. That's incredibly encouraging.

I've seen that Phil of Philscomputerlab can be a touchy subject on these forums. Nonetheless, I'm using his MS-DOS Mode Super Easy downloads found here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos ... easy.html

I've been doing my testing with conventional memory only, or option 9.

Edit: When I say that sound isn't working properly, I mean that it plays shortly and then, the notes hang. I've seen that that means that there's an IRQ conflict.

Reply 13 of 24, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found my GUS Classic to be quite a challenge to get working on just regular MS-DOS 6.22. The installer couldn't see the GUS, or it could see the GUS but claimed whatever I/O base I had it set to was unavailable (even if I had just set it to one setup previously claimed was available), or I could get into the installer and it would complain about conflicts regardless of what IRQ or DMA channel I picked (a bug apparently) and would then crash the computer when it did its final testing. I don't know what I did to make it work but eventually I was able to successfully get the thing installed.

Its perhaps worth noting that you only need two IRQs and two DMA channels for the GUS if you plan to play and record audio at the same time. If not you can get away with one IRQ and DMA channel. Because I've already got a SoundBlaster in my machine I ended up configuring my GUS Classic at I/O base 240, IRQ 7, DMA 7.

Reply 14 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for the information. I'll keep trying. I assume that if I want to "comment out" an IRQ or DMA in my autoexec.bat, then I put an "x" in its place. On a previous Windows install when I had tried using the Windows 95 GUS installer, the installer had put all x characters in the base port, DMAs, and IRQs in my autoexec.bat.

Reply 16 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-04, 20:44:

I found my GUS Classic to be quite a challenge to get working on just regular MS-DOS 6.22. The installer couldn't see the GUS, or it could see the GUS but claimed whatever I/O base I had it set to was unavailable (even if I had just set it to one setup previously claimed was available), or I could get into the installer and it would complain about conflicts regardless of what IRQ or DMA channel I picked (a bug apparently) and would then crash the computer when it did its final testing. I don't know what I did to make it work but eventually I was able to successfully get the thing installed.

I had a similar experiences trying to get a GUS Extreme working. Took trying two different systems, multiple ISA slots and ignoring various DMA errors in the setup program before I finally got it installed and working.

Sounds awesome now that it is working, but it took some effort to get there.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 17 of 24, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-04, 21:56:

nah, just set the same IRQ for both recording and playback. Same for DMA channel. So: SET ULTRASND=240,7,7,7,7

The secondary IRQ is actually used for MIDI and SB emulation (be thru Mega-Em or SBOS), nothing related to recording unlike the DMA channel.

However using the same IRQ for both shouldn't pose any problems in most cases.

Reply 18 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance in this thread. It turns out that my Gravis Ultrasound Classic works! I didn't fry anything! I also upgraded it to 1 megabyte of RAM!

With my setup, I can't have available IRQs, where it counts, in DOS. I tried everything. I declared it the end of the road when I had successfully set up the GUS Classic in Windows 98 SE on IRQ 7 for both IRQs.

I have so much hardware in my PC. At least one thing is assigned to each interrupt request. I had set the PCI IRQ steering to BIOS and I had manually set my 3dfx card to be on IRQ 9 and my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS to IRQ 10.

In order to successfully set my GUS Classic up in Windows 98 SE, I had to swap my mouse and keyboard from PS/2 to USB by removing the adapters. I then tried swapping them back and then disabling USB in the BIOS.

XTC-Player does not work in DOS mode on 240,7,7,7,7. I was at least able to load a track by disabling DMA using the /d switch.

By now, I know what to do when I install the Gravis Ultrasound driver in Windows and I bluescreen on the next boot. I enter Safe Mode and I correct resource assignment.

I guess if I would've built a Pentium III build, then there would've been no Gravis Ultrasound Classic to deal with. So there's that.

Edit: If you'd like to know my specs, there as follows:

CPU: AMD K6-III+450ACZ
Motherboard: Asus P5A rev 1.04 running final beta BIOS v1011.005
Memory: 1x Micron 128 MB PC-133U SDRAM
Storage 1: Sandisk Extreme Plus (or whatever it's called) 120 GB SATA SSD
Storage 2: 64 GB Sandisk SD card with SD to IDE adapter
Floppy: Gotek Floppy Emulator
Graphics: 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 BIOS v1.18 (using final reference driver)
PCI Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (Using VXD drivers)
ISA Sound 1: Yamaha Audician 32 Plus with Serdaco/Serdashop DreamBlaster X2GS Daughterboard
ISA Sound 2: Gravis Ultrasound Classic acting as a paperweight
PSU: Corsair HX1200
Case: Antec Titan
ODD: I forgot the name of it. It was an OEM DVD drive that came with the Antec Titan that I bought on eBay. I flashed a region-free non-OEM firmware that I found to it

The eBay seller included a CPU fan with the motherboard. I'm using Arctic Cooling MX-5 thermal paste. I also have Noctua fans in the front and back as well as on the side panel.

Someone on Reddit offered to make STL files of Antec Titan 5.25-inch bay rails for me. I just got one pair of rails 3D-printed from Shapeways today. They work. I used them with a 3D-printed tray for the SD to IDE adapter that I bought on eBay. I'll buy another set of rails for my SSD, which is in a 5.25-inch bay sled of sorts that I bought on Amazon.

Last edited by MrDeeWilliams on 2022-05-09, 07:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To everyone who helped me in this thread, thank you again. The Gravis Ultrasound Classic works! Jazz Jackrabbit was not a good game to test because it requires two free IRQs. I don't have that. I was able to get the GUS Classic working with Superfrog. I'm faced with all kinds of limitations on the DOS side of things with this build, but that's okay.

If I want to hook a MIDI module up to this PC and use my Yamaha Audician 32 Plus's joystick port to do that while I connect a joystick to the GUS Classic's joystick port, would there be a conflict if I would enable the GUS Classic's joystick port through jumpers? I currently have it disabled. I didn't want to enable hardware that I didn't need when my Yamaha Audician 32 Plus has a joystick port.

Attachments