Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
I have the following hardware:

Mac Mini i7 2012 16GB RAM
M-Audio Keystation 88
Yamaha UW500
Yamaha MU50

I have tested all the above individually and all is well.

I then connect it up so that I can use the Keystation 88 as an input interface (connected via usb to my Mac) - this too is working because I can play soft instrument and snag score etc.

I then install the um150mx Yamaha drivers as I am using Monterey as my OS (12.2.2) and connect the UW500. This two is working (at leas t in part) as I can capture and record audio from it in to Logic Pro

I connect the MU50 Synth to the UW500 via the dedicated serial ports and while I can still record demo audio from the MU50, I cannot get it to "see" any midi signal sent to the UW500.

I notice that some of you also use the UW500, albeit mainly with PCs, I was wondering if I have to perform some kind of black magic or arcane ritual before I can get these two compatible devices to actually talk to one another. Any assistance would be most heartily welcomed.

PS: I have also tried couple the devices wit midi cables to zero effect. The interlink cable I am using is an official 8 pin mini-din style Apple serial cable and I have double checked it's continuity.

Thank you in advance for you patience,

Fin

Reply 1 of 3, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 7 user here, but this sounds like your MIDI ports aren't setup correctly.
UW500's MIDI Din5 = Port 1
TOTG serial cable = Ports 2-6

So if I just want to play a MIDI via Windows Media Player I use a Control Panel MIDI port changer to set the default Windows output port as needed.
One quirk is that the UW500 must be turned on before you turn on the MU. So since I connect my UW to PC via USB, I wait for the USB indicator to turn green, then turn on the MU. Of course the MU's TOHOST switch must be set to MAC.

Now if I want to hook up a keyboard it get's a little more complicated. What Yamaha expects you to do is plug a standard MIDI keyboard into the UW's MIDI ports, and the MU to the TOTG port.
Then go into the Yamaha USB driver settings and setup THRU ports so that the keyboard's MIDI port is sent to both the PC for your software and to the module at the same time. Then you should be able to push a key on the keyboard and the MU will see it. Yamaha USB keyboards will also work as they share the same driver.

But you are using a USB keyboard from a different company. Yamaha's driver won't recognize it. So you will have to load up your music software of choice, and setup your MIDI ports within it. Your keyboard should create it's own MIDI ports. So you would tell your software to send the M-Audio's MIDI port to the UW500 output port 2.

Finally, be aware that Yamaha made several different types of TOHOST serial cables. They look identical but are wired differently. For connecting UW500 to MU, you must use the MAC type cable. The others will not work.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 3, by Fin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi SuperDeadite,
Thanks for the super fast response. Honestly, I was expecting to wait days.
your suggestion were very helpful indeed, and I did manage to get it working the way I wanted to.

My issue, as you suggested was no with the hardware but the midi setup and the clue was
"UW500's MIDI Din5 = Port 1
TOTG serial cable = Ports 2-6"

which is of course correct but not what wanted.

So here's how I have it setup:
[Hardware]
M-Audio 88 connected to Mac via usb
Yamaha UW500 connected to Mac via usb
Yamaha MU50 connected to Yamaha UW500 in two ways, TOHOST <- >TO_TG over official Apple peripheral serial cable (8 pin mini din) & OUTPUT <-> INPUT 3 over Phono - RCA
The UW500 OUTPUT RCA socket are then connect to my amp input

[Software]
Official Yamaha um150mx USB drive (can be downloaded from https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb_mi … er_for_mac.html)
Apple Logic Pro 10.6.1

[Setup]
In order to get the desired outcome, Start the hardware as mentioned elsewhere in strict connection order, i.e. Mac, UW500, MU 50, keystation allowing each to start fully before turning on the next.
Ensure USB driver installed
In Logic Pro, goto preferences->audio and set both the INPUT and OUTPUT device to UW500 as shown the first attached file.
In order for the midi keyboard controller (M-Audio Keystation 88) to be able to have control on internal synths and the external on the MU in need to be setup as a control surface. the remaining screenshot shows this and show that you actually need a Mackie Controller, and with setting for that select the keyboard for the input and output ports. (it is crucial that you use the "Transport" method for the output for the input or it will not play.

[Results]
The setup that i describe here allows me to use my keyboard for all midi sources, internal and external to Logic Pro, to monitor then instruments when not actually recording, to save the data as midi or project data and for apply effects to the track and hear those effects in real time.

Thank you SuperDeadite, for without that single nudge of information I was just pulling my hair out (what little is left).

Warmest regards,
Fin

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad you got it working. I use MU2000EX myself. One nice thing about the UW500, is that if you use it in digital mode, it will still pass through analog audio via the AUX input. Very useful for me as some of my favorite games mix MIDI and FM music together, and the MU2000EX's digital output is a big improvement over it's analog.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster