VOGONS

First post, by Evil_Orko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get the last piece of the Packard Bell restored - the CD-ROM. It's a Matsushita and this is the original drive and card that came with the computer (Legend 35CD). I can find working drivers for both DOS and Win 3.1 but none will work with the CD-ROM. I know the drive works because it works with a different PB sound card I got just fine (MMSN811). I also noticed that the Aztech versions of the cards don't always have the IDE ports that the Packard Bell versions do. Thanks to anyone that could possibly help get me the proper driver finally so I can put the lid on it again! 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've attached the drivers from the Voyager Multimedia Kit which this card was usually bundled with. This is the most complete set with an additional two disks that contains other software as well.

Filename
VY212.RAR
File size
2.59 MiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File comment
Voyager Multimedia Kit driver set
File license
Public domain

You can just use 7-zip to extract the files and the run the utility to create floppy disks for you (or use 7-zip again t0 extract the files from that *.exe file).

Just take note that I38-MMSN824 utilised the AZT-2316A chipset, whereas I38-MMSN811 utilised the AZT-1605 chipset.
The two are different generations and used different drivers.
The latter only offered Sound Blaster 2.0 (DSP 2.01) compatibility (but with a stereo Yamaha OPL-3 FM synthesis chip), whereas the former offered full Sound Blaster Pro II compatibility under DOS.

Reply 2 of 4, by Evil_Orko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately I tried that exact driver and it did not work but I will try again when I get home to show you exactly what happens with it. I also realize the difference between the two cards. The 811 is a gen 2 and the 824 is a gen3. The 811 I bought for a few bucks as a test card when having issues the first time. It works but it isn't what I want in the computer and it isn't the original card, which would be nice.

jesolo wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:08:
I've attached the drivers from the Voyager Multimedia Kit which this card was usually bundled with. This is the most complete s […]
Show full quote

I've attached the drivers from the Voyager Multimedia Kit which this card was usually bundled with. This is the most complete set with an additional two disks that contains other software as well.
VY212.RAR
You can just use 7-zip to extract the files and the run the utility to create floppy disks for you (or use 7-zip again t0 extract the files from that *.exe file).

Just take note that I38-MMSN824 utilised the AZT-2316A chipset, whereas I38-MMSN811 utilised the AZT-1605 chipset.
The latter only offered Sound Blaster 2.0 (DSP 2.01) compatibility (but with a stereo Yamaha OPL-3 FM synthesis chip), whereas the former offered full Sound Blaster Pro II compatibility under DOS.

Reply 3 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evil_Orko wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:46:

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately I tried that exact driver and it did not work but I will try again when I get home to show you exactly what happens with it. I also realize the difference between the two cards. The 811 is a gen 2 and the 824 is a gen3. The 811 I bought for a few bucks as a test card when having issues the first time. It works but it isn't what I want in the computer and it isn't the original card, which would be nice.

I've attached the drivers from the Voyager Multimedia Kit which this card was usually bundled with. This is the most complete s […]
Show full quote

VY212.RAR

This is odd as I also have this exact card and and it worked for me.
However, I see now in your pictures that your card still utilises the various proprietary CD-ROM interfaces and doesn't have an IDE interface.
You could perhaps try the AT-BUS CD-ROM driver for this driver set (which is for card model I38-MMSN830).

Filename
P16WH-1.ZIP
File size
954.7 KiB
Downloads
37 downloads
File comment
Trust Sound Expert Deluxe 16+ Disk 1
File license
Public domain
Filename
P16WH-2.ZIP
File size
682.41 KiB
Downloads
35 downloads
File comment
Trust Sound Expert Deluxe 16+ Disk 2
File license
Public domain

This particular model had both the proprietary and IDE CD-ROM interfaces.

As I recall, you can use a standard IDE cable with a Matsushita (Panasonic) AT Bus CD-ROM drive.
What is the model number of your CD-ROM drive?

Last edited by jesolo on 2022-04-21, 21:09. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by Evil_Orko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I definitely will check it when I get home! The file I tried was definitely vy212 so I assume it's the same file but 100% worth a shot and thanks for helping get to the bottom of it!

jesolo wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:53:
This is odd as I also have this exact card and and it worked for me. There were different Voyager Multimedia Kits bundled wit […]
Show full quote
Evil_Orko wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:46:

Show full quote

VY212.RAR

This is odd as I also have this exact card and and it worked for me.
There were different Voyager Multimedia Kits bundled with different models.
Try the driver I attached and see what happens.