VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own 3 of these, all on ESS ES1938S chip and I was testing all 3 and I experience odd issues. On one of my machines it gets IRQ3 for PCI device and IRQs 5 3 5, on other devices it gets no IRQ for PCI and IRQs 5 1 5, in both situations I have SB music and no SB FX, any way to fix it? For some reason I never get IRQ10 which is good I assume.

Reply 1 of 4, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
haker120 wrote on 2022-05-08, 13:43:

I own 3 of these, all on ESS ES1938S chip and I was testing all 3 and I experience odd issues. On one of my machines it gets IRQ3 for PCI device and IRQs 5 3 5, on other devices it gets no IRQ for PCI and IRQs 5 1 5, in both situations I have SB music and no SB FX, any way to fix it? For some reason I never get IRQ10 which is good I assume.

If these are on the motherboard, you'll want to set the audio IRQ to 5 or 7 in the BIOS. If the Solos are expansion boards, you can disable/move the parallel port from IRQ7 and then set 'reserve IRQ7 for ISA' from the BIOS. Older DOS games expect your SoundBlaster/Pro on IRQ 7, some can be set to use 5 as well. These seem to be the most compatible. Some games allow you to set the IRQ to basically any value, but it's easier to just move / disable devices that you probably don't use to make room, right?

edit: Wait, are these ISA or PCI?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 4, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All 3 are PCI cards. I guess this is either motherboards fault (one that doesn't put IRQ for PCI multimedia device) and drivers? All get 5 1 5 and 5 3 5 (for PCI detected IRQ)?

None of cards have jumpers if I understood correctly that Solos thing. 😁

EDIT: I just tested original Aureal Vortex 2 I own somehow (and one chinese clone which likes original drivers) and SBPro emulation is perfect under DOS-windows, under pure DOS too but I don't need it that much with 3GHz P4. 😁

Reply 3 of 4, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mention you have multiple machines. They may assign IRQs to PCI slots differently. If you use Plug and Play OS =No in BIOS then BIOS will manage resources, otherwise OS (and you can end up without IRQ until OS starts). The easiest way to get a different IRQ is to move the sound card to a different PCI slot. In Windows it shouldn't matter what IRQ gets assigned unless you want to use the sound card in DOS and want to have a specific IRQ.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 4, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BIOSes doesn't allow me to manually put IRQs, only option is to reserve IRQ for PCI (what I did with IRQ5) and 3 and 7 but even if I'll set IRQ5 only PCI gets IRQ3. Also for 1 machine I cannot change PCI slot (since only one).