AdLib GOLD clone is now a reality

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 199, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JimWest wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:52:
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:30:

What about the MIDI cable? Is a special "Adlib" MIDI cable needed for the Joystick port? Because I've seen videos reporting problems with a typical Joystick-Midi cable.

Yes, a special „AdLib“ MIDI cable is needed. It’s the very same implementation as the original card.
But the pinout of that cable is still a mystery. We didn’t investigate it. So if someone got an original AdLib Midi cable, please get in touch with us.

I guess there's a very real possibility that the pinout of the AdLib MIDI cable is the same as the one used by the MIDI cable for the Mediatrix Audiotrix Pro. After all, that card was designed by part of the same engineering team as the AdLib Gold. And it also has the exact same jumper section near the gameport to switch between dual joystick without MIDI and single joystick with MIDI. If that's the case, then RetroCat has posted the pinout of the cable here: Audiotrix Pro not outputting MIDI messages

Reply 101 of 199, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lennart wrote on 2022-10-25, 20:15:
JimWest wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:52:
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:30:

What about the MIDI cable? Is a special "Adlib" MIDI cable needed for the Joystick port? Because I've seen videos reporting problems with a typical Joystick-Midi cable.

Yes, a special „AdLib“ MIDI cable is needed. It’s the very same implementation as the original card.
But the pinout of that cable is still a mystery. We didn’t investigate it. So if someone got an original AdLib Midi cable, please get in touch with us.

I guess there's a very real possibility that the pinout of the AdLib MIDI cable is the same as the one used by the MIDI cable for the Mediatrix Audiotrix Pro. After all, that card was designed by part of the same engineering team as the AdLib Gold. And it also has the exact same jumper section near the gameport to switch between dual joystick without MIDI and single joystick with MIDI. If that's the case, then RetroCat has posted the pinout of the cable here: Audiotrix Pro not outputting MIDI messages

I have the "Midi Pak" cable for Adlib Gold, documentation (1993) and floppies.
Apart from destroying the cable, is there any way to check which pins lead to which holes? Electrical continuity tester maybe?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 102 of 199, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beegle wrote on 2022-10-25, 20:30:

Apart from destroying the cable, is there any way to check which pins lead to which holes? Electrical continuity tester maybe?

Yeah, that should do the trick 😀

Reply 103 of 199, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lennart wrote on 2022-10-25, 20:36:

I'll report back when get a minute to do this. Thanks for your patience!

Reply 104 of 199, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Beegle wrote on 2022-10-25, 20:39:
Lennart wrote on 2022-10-25, 20:36:

I'll report back when get a minute to do this. Thanks for your patience!

Oh very cool!

If you could also provide the software etc. that would be great.

Thank you!

Reply 105 of 199, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-10-21, 19:04:

I'm adding the photos here, since they vanish from eBay after some time. None of these looks complicated, I guess the "interface" pins of the AdLib Gold are just a subset of ISA pins, probably the only thing Adlib is doing is managing resources. There were sound cards that had a socket for an NCR chip, AdLib and later MediaTrix loved daughtercards. These will probably sell for an insane amount of money and I doubt buyers will be interested in sharing them for reverse engineering, though as I said, they don't look too complicated.

Just follow up on these, but these ended up selling at ~$1700 CAD (~$1250 USD) apiece.

The same seller also had an original surround sound module that went for about the same price.

Really glad we have folks like keropi willing to engineer and sell clones of older hardware at far more affordable prices. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 106 of 199, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-30, 01:48:
Just follow up on these, but these ended up selling at ~$1700 CAD (~$1250 USD) apiece. […]
Show full quote
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-10-21, 19:04:

I'm adding the photos here, since they vanish from eBay after some time. None of these looks complicated, I guess the "interface" pins of the AdLib Gold are just a subset of ISA pins, probably the only thing Adlib is doing is managing resources. There were sound cards that had a socket for an NCR chip, AdLib and later MediaTrix loved daughtercards. These will probably sell for an insane amount of money and I doubt buyers will be interested in sharing them for reverse engineering, though as I said, they don't look too complicated.

Just follow up on these, but these ended up selling at ~$1700 CAD (~$1250 USD) apiece.

The same seller also had an original surround sound module that went for about the same price.

Really glad we have folks like keropi willing to engineer and sell clones of older hardware at far more affordable prices. 😁

And if the images from ebay aren't enough, or higher resolution is needed for study, I met with the seller for an additional photoshoot a few days ago. Here's the result.
Interesting detail : the CD-ROM interface is from Adlib Multimedia, but the SCSI interface is from AdLib (and has a serial number). Safe to assume the SCSI interface was produced earlier.

Attachments

• MVI_6811.MOV_snapshot_00.21.755.jpg
    Filename
    MVI_6811.MOV_snapshot_00.21.755.jpg
    File size
    528.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_6806.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6806.JPG
    File size
    664.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_6805.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6805.JPG
    File size
    469.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_6803.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6803.JPG
    File size
    637.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_6802.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6802.JPG
    File size
    513.45 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 108 of 199, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote on 2022-10-30, 03:53:

And if the images from ebay aren't enough, or higher resolution is needed for study, I met with the seller for an additional photoshoot a few days ago. Here's the result.
Interesting detail : the CD-ROM interface is from Adlib Multimedia, but the SCSI interface is from AdLib (and has a serial number). Safe to assume the SCSI interface was produced earlier.

Since you met with the seller any chance you know the story behind the parts? Or will that be revealed in the documentary you're working on?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 109 of 199, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-10-25, 11:48:
I will add the drivers to the site as well - nothing the world didn't already see though there is also this nice archive -> http […]
Show full quote

I will add the drivers to the site as well - nothing the world didn't already see though
there is also this nice archive -> https://archive.org/details/adlib-gold-users-guide
it even comes with recordings

If anyone has a nice structured drivers archive and wishes it to be mirrored on goldlib's site do tell me about it 😀

also 1st batch is now sold, 2nd and final one will be made available in due time (because it's REALLY a time consuming work...)

Also Keropi would you be willing to release the Gerber's and Verilog code after you've sold off all the cards in case anyone else wants to take a crack at it?

Reply 110 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there have been no discussions about that, so I can't tell what the future will bring
I am only a part of the project , not the sole owner

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 112 of 199, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine arrived! What a beauty! Tested quickly on a 550 MHz VIA C3, at least the OPL3 works under Windows 98. Dune 2 also works! BTW should Dune 2 speech work on an Adlib Gold? Because Music works and SFX works, but I don't hear the intro speech.

Attachments

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 114 of 199, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I'm done for today, unless someone knows how to make the non-FM portion of the card to work with a 440BX motherboard (ASUS CUBX-E), I will have to assemble a dedicated 386 rig for this card. I've tried slowing down the C3 to crawl (SETMUL to 300 MHz, disable L1, L2 cache and branch prediction), but it's not enough for the Timer tests to pass.

Reply 115 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

glad to hear cards arrive in their new homes! hope you all enjoy them!
and it is my understanding that there is no speech with Dune + Gold , sadly
and about the timers I have no advice, it's just the way the MMA chip is - it likes slower systems 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 116 of 199, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can confirm received mine as well.

Hoping to test it out this weekend.

Attachments

• GoldLib.jpg
    Filename
    GoldLib.jpg
    File size
    636.84 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 117 of 199, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some of my finding, to get the card running on my CUBX-L motherboard with a 550 MHz VIA C3 at 100 MHz FSB. These should be similar to other 440BX based boards, or actually other boards using the PIIX4E south bridge, possible extending to the other south bridges in the PCI IDE ISA Xcelerator family, since the settings I've changed are actually the south bridge's settings.

My card is using IRQ 7 (parallel port is disabled) and DMA 1.

I've installed the DOS drivers from adlibgolddrivers1.01.rar. I've extracted the contents of DISK_1, DISK_2/GOLD2.CMP and DISK_3/GOLD3.CMP to D:, since it would only install from a root directory. I've run SETUP and chose to install to D:\GOLD. Had to add the directory D:\GOLD\DRIVERS to the PATH or the batch files inside D:\GOLD would fail.

I've reserved the card's IRQ in SETUP (I've reserved it in "Advanced/PCI Configuration/PCI/PNP ISA IRQ Resource Exclusion"). Without this Timers test would always fail. Reserving DMA 1 changed nothing, so I left it not reserved for further testing.

I've increased the 8-bit I/O Recovery Time. In my case, 7 and 8 BUSCLK worked for the C3 550 MHz @ 100 MHz, with 6 BUSCLK Timers tests started to fail. If the CPU is downclocked to 366 @ 66 MHz only 8 BUSCLK works which is the maximum number. Not sure why a higher value was required for 66 MHz. I assumed the ISA clock is derived from the PCI clock, which for both a 66 MHz and a 100 MHz FSB clock is around 33.33 MHz on this board.

It really looks like this the DRIVERS folder was the one intended to be on the path, since the programs like TEST or JUKEGOLD fail to find files if they are run from a different working directory than they are installed into. TEST won't find the playback sample for the Sampling and Playback test, and JUKEGOLD won't play anything on the playlist if run from another directory.

The "Timers" (4) test is the one you want to start with, since if the card does not pass it, other things will fail.

In the "FM Sound" (5) test, "Enable Surround" worked when the CPU was downclocked to 200 MHz (3.0x 66 MHz), at higher frequencies, I've tested 366 MHz (5.5x 66 MHz) and 550 MHz (5.5x 100 MHz), it either didn't work or, after several switches from enabled to disabled and back, it would start to modify the sound, but it sounded wrong. After such flipping, MMA Timer tests would start to fail, so something was definitely wrong.

In the "Sampling and Playback" (8) test, playing back the sample would work, but recording doesn't work. Not sure what mic is needed, I've connected the same headset I'm using on my work PC, mic to the Microphone jack and headphones to the Line out Jack.

If a Timer test fails, just restart your PC, since other things will start to fail one after another.

JUKEGOLD works nice.

VOICEPAD just hangs, a cold reset is required, Ctrl + Alt + Delete doesn't work.

Reply 118 of 199, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mentioned this on the previous page, but for those testing this card on faster/more recent systems, it will likely be helpful to try all of the four combinations between Delayed Transaction and Passive Release. I can't say if/how it will help with this specific design, but it definitely makes a difference with the genuine 1992 original.

Reply 119 of 199, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some testing this weekend. I was able to test/compare alongside an original Adlib Gold.

Test system is a 386 DX/40 with 8 MB of RAM running DOS 6.22 from a 256 MB CF card. No other sound cards were installed during testing.

The standard Adlib Gold Test program worked on basic tests (timers, FM playback, etc.). I did run into some weirdness with the audio clip playback. On initial playback I would get pauses during playback (it would play a bit of the clip, then pause, then play more, pause, etc.) Subsequent playbacks were just fine. This happened on both cards, so it's not card specific.

Also had an issue with the Adlib Gold jukebox. Upon initially selecting and playing a file, the program would become unresponsive for 5-10 seconds. After which everything would be fine and play normally. Again, this occurred with both cards.

Given that these issues occurred with both cards, I suspect it is either a software or possibly system related issue.

In testing games, I would have to a perform a hard reset after using the Adlib jukebox or test programs. Otherwise games wouldn't play back any sound. I suspect this might be due to the loading of the Adlib Gold drivers required for the test and jukebox programs. Those particular driver programs chew up a lot of conventional memory, but fortunately aren't needed for games support.

I tested a variety of games with either Adlib or Adlib Gold support (Dune, Dune II, Elvira, Arkanoid 2, Rise of the Dragon). Everything worked fine and on initial tests sounded the same with both the original and GoldLib cards.

I also tested the cloned surround module with the original card and it worked as intended.

Both cards do seem to pick up some background system noise in the audio output, more noticeable with the volume cranked up. But with card volume set to a moderate level and using amplified speakers, this was a non-issue based on conventional listening volumes.

Attachments

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-11-12, 18:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build