VOGONS

Reply 220 of 881, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True, and apologies if I disrespected anyone. Same goes to you as well marmes and 640k!enough.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 224 of 881, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vanessaira wrote on 2023-02-07, 21:34:

That is um, a lot of points. 🤣

You underestimate my points..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 225 of 881, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-02-08, 06:22:
Vanessaira wrote on 2023-02-07, 21:34:

That is um, a lot of points. 🤣

You underestimate my points..

Yes but, do you have the point high ground???

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 226 of 881, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congrats on the launch everyone! Took my eyes off this for a little bit and missed the first wave, but signed up for the second. Thanks to all of you for doing things like this for the scene.

Reply 228 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone else noticed when using OPL 3 in Windows 98 with a media player that it sounds very different then running OPL3 in a DOS Window while in Windows 98? I was just noticing my Doom midi tracks sound very different when played directly in a media player like windows media player or winamp in 98 vs actually playing the game in a DOS window while in Windows 98. I don't know how to explain the sound exactly but you can clearly hear a difference. Even when comparing midi's like passport.mid or canyon.mid to OPL 3 versions I have heard online. Something seems to be off with the OPL3 sound directly in Windows 98... I have tried both initializing orphinit and without thinking maybe it was something in that screwing with it but that isn't the case as it sounds the same regardless of what I do with orphinit.

Reply 229 of 881, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS games use their own instruments and they are not the same as what FM MIDI driver in Windows uses.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 231 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried to run the doom midi file in true DOS mode using dosmid.exe (not in windows DOS mode although I tested there and it had the same effect) and it also sounded weirder and not even like playing it in Windows Media Player or Winamp. Dosmid reported it was using OPL3. I thought for sure in DOS itself the midi would playback and sound like the actual game.. but I guess this is really how it is. Found another thread on here confirming what Tiido said, Doom 2 MIDI OPL3 issue. Very interesting, learn something new every day, OPL3 "can't" be used to play generic Midi files, or I should say, at least not in a way that would sound like they do in an actual game. Learn something new everyday.

Reply 232 of 881, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FM has no built in instrument bank, just a big handful of parameters which make up the sound needed, all of which is under programmer/musician control. Every game and whatever else software writes their own set of parameters, often found via experimentation, to approximate the instruments in MIDI devices, when source data is MIDI based like with many DOS games. A number of games are OPL "native" and can sound good as they're not trying to shoehorn in a spec that the chip is not exactly capable of reproducing 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 234 of 881, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a cute use case for this card - a supercompact system with small (but standard-layout) AT motherboard with no onboard I/O, a riser and two ISA slots on opposite sides. Total height is just 5cm. I have it at work for light relaxation during breaks.

Currently it has a multi I/O card in the one slot and VGA in the other, but i've found an ISA VGA+I/O combi card and was intending to put a sound card in the other slot anyway. Currently have a simple SB2.0 clone, but would love to see colleagues amazed by everything the Orpheus II can do 😉

Reply 235 of 881, by aegisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KuroHouou wrote on 2023-02-08, 14:36:

Any recommendation on the RAM SIMM that would work well for this?

Good question. Would be great to be able to know beforehand if I need to source memory modules or if I already have some in my stash.

Reply 236 of 881, by kalgon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-09, 09:01:

I have a cute use case for this card - a supercompact system with small (but standard-layout) AT motherboard with no onboard I/O, a riser and two ISA slots on opposite sides. Total height is just 5cm.

Can you post a picture of it?

Reply 237 of 881, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aegisk wrote on 2023-02-09, 13:29:
KuroHouou wrote on 2023-02-08, 14:36:

Any recommendation on the RAM SIMM that would work well for this?

Good question. Would be great to be able to know beforehand if I need to source memory modules or if I already have some in my stash.

Should be similar to the ARGUS card (check that thread), that accepts pretty much any FPM or EDO RAM that is 5V and should be 70ns or faster. I'm using some cheap single rank 16MB FPM that I bought on ebay. I also tried dual-rank 32MB EDO and it works fine (but only uses 16MB).