Beepblaster 1.0 Wavetable Module

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 71, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-13, 17:37:
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-12-13, 16:53:

Made a discovery, BeepBlaster is the perfect way to enhance PSG audio. Mixing the two sounds almost exactly like Konami SCC...
Seriously, holy shit: https://youtu.be/dIqkZ9kAeHs

Wow, I'm not familiar with the PSG or really most of those game sound tracks, but that combo does sound fantastic!

So, I'm trying to understand your setup. Going by the picture you have a CHiLL from Serda with a BeepBlaster attached to it, plugged into a PC via MIDI... and I'm assuming you have another synth playing the PSG music at the same time and they are mixed together in real time? Or did you play the music twice, once with each synth, and then overlay them afterward in software?

To do this I use an MSX computer equipped with a MIDI-PAC2 cartridge. I use VGMPlay (MSX version) to play PSG VGM files. VGMPlay plays the music on the internal AY chip. At the same time, MIDI-PAC2 cartridge reads OPLL and PSG data and outputs MIDI data in real time. This output goes to the Chill 3 with BeepBlaster. Basically all I have to do is play a VGM file on MSX and mix both outputs.

Afaik, MSX is the only computer that can do this live.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 41 of 71, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-12-13, 22:04:
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-12-13, 16:53:

Made a discovery, BeepBlaster is the perfect way to enhance PSG audio. Mixing the two sounds almost exactly like Konami SCC...
Seriously, holy shit: https://youtu.be/dIqkZ9kAeHs

Wow, I'm not familiar with the PSG or really most of those game sound tracks, but that combo does sound fantastic!

So, I'm trying to understand your setup. Going by the picture you have a CHiLL from Serda with a BeepBlaster attached to it, plugged into a PC via MIDI... and I'm assuming you have another synth playing the PSG music at the same time and they are mixed together in real time? Or did you play the music twice, once with each synth, and then overlay them afterward in software?

To do this I use an MSX computer equipped with a MIDI-PAC2 cartridge. I use VGMPlay (MSX version) to play PSG VGM files. VGMPlay plays the music on the internal AY chip. At the same time, MIDI-PAC2 cartridge reads OPLL and PSG data and outputs MIDI data in real time. This output goes to the Chill 3 with BeepBlaster. Basically all I have to do is play a VGM file on MSX and mix both outputs.

That's really cool! You should add that info to the video description so people know how it's done.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 42 of 71, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-13, 23:00:

That's really cool! You should add that info to the video description so people know how it's done.

It's funny, I've been active in the MSX scene for about 10 years now. So to me, this is all just normal everyday equipment. Lol.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 43 of 71, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-12-14, 04:11:

It's funny, I've been active in the MSX scene for about 10 years now. So to me, this is all just normal everyday equipment. Lol.

Where as I couldn't even tell you what the MSX is or where it was sold. 😀

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was a personal computer from the late 80s to early 90s, sold primarily in Europe? How close am I?

(Don't worry, I'll actually look it up too now that my interest has been piqued.)

Edit: ah, was pretty far off! Looks like it was primarily sold in Japan, some south American markets and a bit in the middle east and eastern Europe. Early 80s to early 90s.

Looks like a cool platform but it's sadly pretty unlikely that I'll ever see one in the US.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 44 of 71, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-14, 04:25:
Where as I couldn't even tell you what the MSX is or where it was sold. :) […]
Show full quote
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-12-14, 04:11:

Where as I couldn't even tell you what the MSX is or where it was sold. 😀

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was a personal computer from the late 80s to early 90s, sold primarily in Europe? How close am I?

(Don't worry, I'll actually look it up too now that my interest has been piqued.)

Edit: ah, was pretty far off! Looks like it was primarily sold in Japan, some south American markets and a bit in the middle east and eastern Europe. Early 80s to early 90s.

Looks like a cool platform but it's sadly pretty unlikely that I'll ever see one in the US.

Yeah mostly a Japan thing. It was the system that gave the world Metal Gear and many others. Yamaha did sell one of their music computer MSX units in Canada, but that was about it. There are hundreds of fantastic games, and lately it's become a chip tune lover's dream. Check my channel for lots of examples.

Reply 45 of 71, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a new video by pc-sound-legacy, showing beepblaster playing Tyrian music :
https://youtu.be/QgcTG6Vn6WI

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 48 of 71, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote on 2022-12-18, 17:00:

Is there a way for me to get one of those beepblasters?
I would really like to have one of them - This project is super cool 😀

Ulfenknulfen has already stated the first batch is sold out. You need to PM him to be added to the list for the next run.

Reply 50 of 71, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's BeepBlaster + PSG mix Part 2.
32 Tracks!
https://youtu.be/mACnRDPnbUw

Reply 51 of 71, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-12-19, 17:03:

Here's BeepBlaster + PSG mix Part 2.
32 Tracks!
https://youtu.be/mACnRDPnbUw

uuuh i like it !

Reply 52 of 71, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi SuperDeadite.

WOW, you really did a lot of work there, and it sounds really great!

best regards
Paddy

🎵 Waveblaster Adaptor for IDE-HDD Swap Frames
🎧 Beepblaster 1.0 Wavetable Module
🎶 Roland MT-32 Buffer overflow Hardware Fix
🕹️🖱️USB HID Devices on PS/2 and Gameport.

Reply 53 of 71, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ulfenknulfen wrote on 2022-12-20, 07:23:
Hi SuperDeadite. […]
Show full quote

Hi SuperDeadite.

WOW, you really did a lot of work there, and it sounds really great!

best regards
Paddy

Honestly I'm just really enjoying BeepBlaster. Very few people have the hardware needed to do this, so I try to share the sound when I can. I think I will experiment with "Beep Mode" next.

Reply 56 of 71, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi at all!

Because i'm very ill, the Beepblaster 1.0 and 2.0 (Stereo) is free for non commercial use!
Please have a look on my first Post.

best regards
Paddy

Last edited by Ulfenknulfen on 2023-01-08, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 71, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2023-01-06, 04:28:

I couldn't wait until these are available again so I hacked together two Arduinos to make one of these IN STEREO. Not as elegant as Ulfenknulfen's module -- but I'll have to wait my turn to get a hold of his. I STRONGLY recommend this as a breadboard project for anyone who is inclined to tinker! It's loads of fun!!

Here's my rendition of Opressed People from FF7. In STEREO.

Hi!

Nice Project.
Put your files online for the Community!
I would then install my beepmode, develope a PCB and Partlist and upload the board completely here 😀

best regards
Paddy

Reply 58 of 71, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ulfenknulfen wrote on 2023-01-06, 12:05:
Hi at all! […]
Show full quote

Hi at all!

Because i'm very ill, the Beepblaster is free for non commercial use!
Please have a look on my first Post.

best regards
Paddy

Thank you:)!

Reply 59 of 71, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2023-01-06, 04:28:

I couldn't wait until these are available again so I hacked together two Arduinos to make one of these IN STEREO. Not as elegant as Ulfenknulfen's module -- but I'll have to wait my turn to get a hold of his. I STRONGLY recommend this as a breadboard project for anyone who is inclined to tinker! It's loads of fun!!

Here's my rendition of Opressed People from FF7. In STEREO.

oooh it is even nicer in stereo