VOGONS

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is simply cause the driver page confuses me a bit, cause theres 10 different files for SB Live! drivers. I need drivers for the CT4830 pci card, for Windows 98 SE. Secondly, was 98SE supposed to have built in games like the basic solitaire and such? My version doesnt if so. Thanks for the help!

Reply 1 of 14, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a disk image with the VXD drivers for your card: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=805

The included games with Win98 were:
Microsoft FreeCell
Microsoft Hearts Network
Microsoft Minesweeper
Microsoft Solitaire
Maybe they have to be installed as accessories? I just checked, and that's it. Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, Accessories then Details, and you can check the boxes for the games and they will install.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-24, 01:33:
Here's a disk image with the VXD drivers for your card: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=805 […]
Show full quote

Here's a disk image with the VXD drivers for your card: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=805

The included games with Win98 were:
Microsoft FreeCell
Microsoft Hearts Network
Microsoft Minesweeper
Microsoft Solitaire
Maybe they have to be installed as accessories? I just checked, and that's it. Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, Accessories then Details, and you can check the boxes for the games and they will install.

thanks. the drivers seem to install fine, but im not getting any sound out put.. also, when installing 98, i simply tell it to do a full install, and for some reason, theres no games

Reply 4 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Flashback wrote on 2022-07-24, 02:10:

I recommend installing drivers from here as others tend to be somewhat hit or miss.

No idea why the games are missing unless it's a modified OEM version or something like that.

i got poking around during the reinstall of the OS, found where I could check the box for the built in games. Ill keep posted about the sound card drivers, tho.

edit: the link you provided, Flash, wont let me download the drivers from the mirror for some reason

Reply 5 of 14, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, glad you sorted out the games.

I suppose no one will mind if the drivers are attached here. Give that a shot.

Attachments

• Filename
    sblive2.zip
    File size
    4.43 MiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Flashback wrote on 2022-07-24, 03:48:

Cool, glad you sorted out the games.

I suppose no one will mind if the drivers are attached here. Give that a shot.

same issue... the drivers seem to install fine, but all i get is faint static thru the speakers that fades out when attempting to play the sound. Device manager says the device is working properly, no other errors.
to add to this, when i first got the system everything was working on Windows XP. all the drivers were installed, and all the hardware worked fine. So I know the sound card itself works.

Reply 7 of 14, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem. I had the same issue of no sound with my SB Live! when I installed some other drivers, but the drivers I posted fixed it.

It might be worth mentioning that I didn't uninstall the first drivers, just installed the sblive2.zip ones on top of the previous install. Dunno if or why that might matter, but that's something else to try if no one else has any other ideas.

Also, you didn't mention what sound you're trying to play, but if it's a CD and you don't have the cable going from the optical drive to the sound card, it won't work (XP doesn't need that btw.)

Reply 8 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Flashback wrote on 2022-07-24, 05:21:

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem. I had the same issue of no sound with my SB Live! when I installed some other drivers, but the drivers I posted fixed it.

It might be worth mentioning that I didn't uninstall the first drivers, just installed the sblive2.zip ones on top of the previous install. Dunno if or why that might matter, but that's something else to try if no one else has any other ideas.

Also, you didn't mention what sound you're trying to play, but if it's a CD and you don't have the cable going from the optical drive to the sound card, it won't work (XP doesn't need that btw.)

Im just using windows sounds to test. I do have a cable running to the CD player, and I havent tested that yet, And I dont see a port on the motherboard to plug the sound card to the mobo with an external cable. (seen that on my Socket 462 system, mobo had a 4 pin audio plug)

Edit: No CD-ROM audio either, and there is a cable plugged into the sound card running to the cd rom

Last edited by Alistar1776 on 2022-07-24, 06:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, yeah was just throwing that bit about the CD cable out there just in case.

Anyway, other than overwriting a previous driver install and rebooting, which I'll admit seems like a long shot, I don't know what else to suggest.

Sorry, wish I could have been of more help.

Reply 10 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Flashback wrote on 2022-07-24, 06:04:

Okay, yeah was just throwing that bit about the CD cable out there just in case.

Anyway, other than overwriting a previous driver install and rebooting, which I'll admit seems like a long shot, I don't know what else to suggest.

Sorry, wish I could have been of more help.

further information, and i tested this while awaiting reply. No CD audio either. Installed a game and launched it, had no sound. Im also installing drivers via USB Flash drive. A few ideas i have while typing this is maybe to extract the files to C: then try to launch that way. Or if theres a way to uninstall the driver and reinstall it... maybe?

Reply 11 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-07-24, 06:13:

further information, and i tested this while awaiting reply. No CD audio either. Installed a game and launched it, had no sound. Im also installing drivers via USB Flash drive. A few ideas i have while typing this is maybe to extract the files to C: then try to launch that way. Or if theres a way to uninstall the driver and reinstall it... maybe?

If all else fails, you can use my guide to install Audigy drivers on a SBLive.

It should work with all genuine SBLive models. Genuine meaning pretty much everything except Dell's cut down SB0200 card.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 12 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-07-24, 06:25:

If all else fails, you can use my guide to install Audigy drivers on a SBLive.

It should work with all genuine SBLive models. Genuine meaning pretty much everything except Dell's cut down SB0200 card.

ill try it. atm, its the only other option for getting it to work 🤣

Reply 14 of 14, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok, went thru Joe's guide to run Audigy drivers on the CT4830 Sound Blaster Live! and sounds are running great, and sound pretty decent. I have it hooked up to an old set of Harmon/Kardon speakers, and it sounds pretty good for its age. Id say to any one browsing this forum for a sound solution (haha, get it? sound? its- eh) the audigy guide is the way to go.