VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear all,
As soon as I install AWE64 value drivers (I even tried Gold's drivers), upon the restart, my Windows 95 (RTM, Retail, downloaded from REMOVED ), locks up, and I get the dreaded 'Protection Error' message. This is on an Intel based system (P5I430TX (Titanium IB+) motherboard), with Pentium 100MHz , 16MB RAM.
I tried the OSR 2, 2.1, and 2.5, and although they seem to work, I chose RTM Retail, as it is my persola favorite, with no IE crap)

I will provide the exact model of my AWE64 shortly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[edit by Dominus: removed warez link]

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-12-29, 01:14. Edited 2 times in total.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try installing SBW9XUP.EXE from Creative's website to see if it solves the problem.

P.S. Don't post that download link here, it is illegal. Besides, the whole IE integration only happens when the "Windows Desktop Update" is installed.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 7, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is windows we're talking about. is the link really illegal as microsoft to this day actively distributes current versions online? normally i would agree with you since the redistributable is accompanied by serials, but given that 111-1111111 is a valid product key i don't see a gray area.

this is also where i got my copy of win95 rtm. it's been awhile since i've been to the site. from what i remember there are probably pages that are no doubt problematic so they're not without sin. however, i also recall getting my copy of ms-dos 7.1 compiled by the china dos union (cdu) there. is this not a version (unofficially) sanctioned by microsoft that can be distributed online? would i have a problem posting that page link?

Reply 3 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-03-07, 15:15:

Try installing SBW9XUP.EXE from Creative's website to see if it solves the problem.

P.S. Don't post that download link here, it is illegal. Besides, the whole IE integration only happens when the "Windows Desktop Update" is installed.

When I get the protection error message, I am locked-out of my Windows 95 system, therefore I have to install this file first ( instead of running the drivers CD). I am going to do it later tonight, as I have to re-format and re-install Windows 95 again. (unless there is a fix for Protection Error)

Thanks

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 4 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-03-07, 17:36:

When I get the protection error message, I am locked-out of my Windows 95 system

Did you try booting Windows 95 in "safe mode" and to uninstall the AWE64 driver? To prevent automatic re-installation, check c:\windows\inf\other for an AWE64 inf file, and delete that one, too.

Reply 5 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-03-07, 19:08:
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-03-07, 17:36:

When I get the protection error message, I am locked-out of my Windows 95 system

Did you try booting Windows 95 in "safe mode" and to uninstall the AWE64 driver? To prevent automatic re-installation, check c:\windows\inf\other for an AWE64 inf file, and delete that one, too.

Yes, I did, but I still get the error, but I will try to delete the AWE64.inf and see what happens.
Thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-03-07, 19:34:

Yes, I did, but I still get the error, but I will try to delete the AWE64.inf and see what happens.
Thanks!

You need to delete the INF file if safe mode works, and after uninstalling, you get a single successful boot in non-safe mode, but a crash at the installation of the AWE64 driver when Plug-n-Play re-detects the card or a crash at the next reboot. The INF file is not used in normal operation, only for installing drivers for a card that is not yet registered in the device maanger.

Reply 7 of 7, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No luck with SBW9XUP.EXE, I am afraid. Same protection error message. I am going to think that this AW64 is NOT compatible with my motherboard's chipset. I am going to try my CT2910 SB16 Pro which seems a solid period correct replacement for my AWE64 card. (although I would lose my MIDI capabilities)

Update:
Even on OSR 2.5, I get the protection error. (btw, my AWE64 model is CT4500)