VOGONS

First post, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Can you please recommend a sound card with proper native DOS support ?

I found the ASOUND ASP003 MA5ASOUND ALS4000 PCI MIDI for a good price I play games like DukeNukem3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Screamer Rally etc

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/I~QAAOSwe89hvEub/s-l1600.jpg

Thank you

Attachments

Reply 1 of 16, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like you found one. I've read they're pretty good, but may be fussy about chipset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lANmRgIHfw0

Also, Yamaha YMF724 / 744, and ESS Solo-1.

Reply 2 of 16, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe ESS Solo-1 is the most compatible of those options, because of its TDMA (Transparent DMA) support, I am not sure, just guessing. actually, if true, that should apply to all ESS chipsets, as I believe they all support TDMA.

Reply 3 of 16, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-05-08, 11:15:

Seems like you found one. I've read they're pretty good, but may be fussy about chipset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lANmRgIHfw0

Also, Yamaha YMF724 / 744, and ESS Solo-1.

Thanks

Reply 4 of 16, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mattw wrote on 2023-05-08, 12:03:

maybe ESS Solo-1 is the most compatible of those options, because of its TDMA (Transparent DMA) support, I am not sure, just guessing. actually, if true, that should apply to all ESS chipsets, as I believe they all support TDMA.

ESS Solo-1 seems to be more expensive

Reply 5 of 16, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about these :

* Creative Labs CT4810 Soundblaster SB 128 PCI Sound-Karte Audio Card Game-Port PC

* Creative Labs CT5803 P/N 4001049801 40900498 Sound-Karte Audio-Card Midi-Port

Attachments

Reply 7 of 16, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-05-08, 12:34:

They don't have OPL (or a good OPL clone like the ALS & ESS do) so they won't sound good in DOS.

At this point because these thingz slowly become VINTAGE and rare I will be content with anything that works.
Will those work ? I am more worried about compatibility than sound quality

Reply 8 of 16, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They'll work. They are consistently the cheapest vintage sound cards on the market, because they exist in great numbers and no one really wants them. If you want to lock one into your collection then fair enough. Just know that they are nobody's go-to card for DOS gaming.

Reply 9 of 16, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-05-08, 12:52:

They'll work. They are consistently the cheapest vintage sound cards on the market, because they exist in great numbers and no one really wants them. If you want to lock one into your collection then fair enough. Just know that they are nobody's go-to card for DOS gaming.

Thanks for the heads up

Reply 10 of 16, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I scarped the bottom of my storage room and found what I managed to "save" from moving houses a few years back.

I guess these are the Yamaha cards you are talking about right ?

It seemed that I knew what I was doing back then pity I had to move and throw away lots of stuff 🙁

Attachments

Reply 11 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks good to me!
For what its worth I don't actually mind the Creative cards you listed. It uses the same driver therefore the same compatibility as a Live/Audigy in dos however lack EAX when in Windows.
That said the Yamaha is a far better card. True OPL for Dos and that XG Midi chip basically gives you a MU-10 external Midi module

Reply 13 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-09, 12:40:

that XG Midi chip basically gives you a MU-10 external Midi module

The Yamaha MIDI support on these cards requires Windows.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote on 2023-05-11, 00:02:
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-09, 12:40:

that XG Midi chip basically gives you a MU-10 external Midi module

The Yamaha MIDI support on these cards requires Windows.

yep, which is such a shame as would be awesome card otherwise. I guess the wording wasn't overly clear, how about

"True OPL for Dos and that XG Midi chip basically gives you a MU-10 external Midi module in windows"

Better?

Reply 15 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-12, 13:23:

yep, which is such a shame as would be awesome card otherwise.

Honestly, I would _love_ if those cards had a full HW XG synth onboard. Still wonderful devices, though.

chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-12, 13:23:

I guess the wording wasn't overly clear, how about

"True OPL for Dos and that XG Midi chip basically gives you a MU-10 external Midi module in windows"

Better?

Hey, if you're happy I'm happy.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 16, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Sound Blaster Live!
2. Forte Media FM801-AU
3. ESS Solo-1

Here are the three PCI cards that I personally consider to be the most compatible with Real DOS.

During my tests, the ALS4000 turned out to have quite a good Legacy DOS mode under Windows 98, but in real dos there are already some problems with FM sound or with running some games. I failed to launch DOOM and that's already a disqualification for me.