VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got these two SB Live! cards, and I want to make sure I understand the differences between them.

The top one is an SB0100, and the bottom one a CT4780
image.png

I understand the SB0100 is usually a recommended model, and that the Ct4780 is an OEM card, but what is the connector I circled on the CT4780 for?
What are the jumpers placed on the CT4780's rightmost pin header for?
I have ran both cards without driver problems on my setup.
Can both of these have a Live Drive?

Reply 2 of 7, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-05-19, 13:36:

Front panel audio connector. Here's an example (I have no relation to this seller):

But not the Live drive, right? Just when you have like audio jacks in the front.
Would make sense if this was inside a brand computer as an OEM card.

Reply 3 of 7, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kikendo wrote on 2023-05-19, 13:26:

I want to make sure I understand the differences between them.

For starters, they have different codecs - Sigmatel and Cirrus (aka Crystal, in those days).
This is not a CPU, with comparable performance does not mean that they are the same.
You need to take measurements and listen.
Wow, this is a sound card, they listen to it))))

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 4 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In addition to what has already been said, the SB0100 is a 5.1 card with full surround sound support.

The orange jack can also be used for digital (SPDIF) output, with the proper adapter.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikendo wrote on 2023-05-22, 13:42:
Meatball wrote on 2023-05-19, 13:36:

Front panel audio connector. Here's an example (I have no relation to this seller):

But not the Live drive, right? Just when you have like audio jacks in the front.
Would make sense if this was inside a brand computer as an OEM card.

Not the Live! drive; correct. OEM, normally; also correct.

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That white connector was the Dell (I think) solution for front panel audio. It was eventually reverse engineered and adapters made to connect to AC97 headers.

Creative didn't offer a standardized front panel connector on retail cards until into the X-Fi era, some of which have an Intel HD Azalia connector. Some X-Fi cards still have that proprietary connector.

At least that's what I remember at this point 🤣

The main downside with the OEM cards was Creative gave them unique device IDs and didn't support them in their official drivers. So you needed to get Dell's barely maintained drivers for example. These days you can use Daniel K's unofficial support packs. Well, except for Win9x.