VOGONS

First post, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello im thinking of adding an opl3 chip to an awe64 ct4520. i know some of the involving components are ymf262 ic, the dac yac512 ic, capacitors and a crystal occilator
but heres the questions are what isa lines are going to whitch pins on the ymf262 ic ? what pins go to yac512 ic ? also capacitors and crystal occilator connection ? and finaly how to connect the output to the input of the mixer chip of the awe card.
any help will be appreciated

Reply 1 of 7, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

propably this confuse a liitle. but want i wanna said is awe64 legacy has end production and the cost was high. so if there is a way to to see where the opl3 chip parts are connected so we can have it back to our standar awe64 ct4520? would be easier for ct 4520 since the legacy is builded on that card chipset. surely the opl3 parts will need to be glued to to the pcb on empty from other components places. and wire will need to connect the things. wont be pretty but..

Last edited by truemaster on 2023-05-27, 11:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the CT4520 cannot support a yamaha opl3 - the AWE64 LEGACY is designed from the ground up to include all it's extra features
you can add an opl3 with wires etc but in the end you would end up building an equivalent to an adlib wired to an existing pcb
just get an adlib clone and use it alongside the CT4520 , much cleaner and hassle-free

here is a nice one: https://www.tindie.com/products/spark2k06/int … l3-fm-for-pcxt/
and if you insist on wiring it up to your CT5420 there is a github link on the page with all needed info

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well on github there is all the ingo you need
if you build it you use UNISOUND to initialize the AWE64 and select an irrelevant address for the CQM - leaving $388 for the extra opl3 you will build
that's how AWE64 Legacy does things AFAIK

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truemaster wrote on 2023-05-27, 11:07:

hello and thanks for reply. i meen to source all the chips that has anything to do with opl3 accordint to the awe64 legacy. and all this hustle because i have one isa slot

If you have any free PCI slots you can use a Yamaha YMF7x4 PCI or Cmedia CMI8x38 for FM synth. FM synth on PCI are pretty much hassle free as it doesn't use any DMA or IRQ.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the datasheet of the YMF744B you can enable and disable Sound Blaster and FM separately with the SBEN and FMEN PCI registers. You also have the GPEN and MEN registers for enabeling/disabeling the game port and MPU-401 interface.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel