VOGONS

First post, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi

the question is simple - we have new wide range, dynamic refresh displays (upto 144hz), can they handle the 70Hz dos modes with a simple vga-hdmi / displayport converter (non scaler)?
320x200, 720x400 text mode, bios screens, etc?

thx.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 1 of 2, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an interesting question, the answer of which I am interested to read about as well.

I guess we'll have to wait for an answer until someone with such a monitor and a VGA-HDMI/DP converter has tried this and and reported any findings back here. 😀

Reply 2 of 2, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think, it should work... i have a 34uc88 lg display, it supports the freesync from 55-75hz, and officaly just via the dp.

i did some indirect tests, first with a 9800pro. i used my dell 2007fp monitor to test the resolutions:
* the dvi output converts the lower res to 1280x1024 75hz
* the vga output is direct, it showed me 720x400 70hz correctly

i tried with a simple dvi-hdmi adapter to connect to my lg display, unfortunately this monitor does not show any information about the input:
* the dvi output (it must be 75hz! 1280x1024) showed well
* i cannot reach higher res than the 1280x1024, no image (on the dell worked well with 1600x1200 eg)
* i could change the frequency, it worked, but i am skeptical, it really set the selected values, because the 200hz also accepted, and showed image

second round with a 8800gtx (on the dell first):
* the dvi output detects somehow the input capabilities, it sets always 1600x1200 60hz (this is the maximum for the dell) - it uses this constant values always
* on the lg... i could set 16:9 resolutions up to 1920x1080 but with fixed 60hz

so, if the vga-hdmi converter outputs the original resolution and frequency, there is the chance, my monitor can handle it. it would be the best case, because, if there is an internal conversion, it depends on the vga-hdmi converter (and we need a scaler).

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene