VOGONS

Best DOS video card?

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 212, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trident TVGA 8900 and 9000 series are very compatible with older standards also. And of course the notorious Cirrus 510/520.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 202 of 212, by villeneuve

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried to access the awesome "PCI and AGP video chips DOS compatibility" table on https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ but it seems to be down. Can anybody confirm this and/or knows what's going on there?

Reply 203 of 212, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's working for me. Must be on your end.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 205 of 212, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-10-01, 11:00:

Trident TVGA 8900 and 9000 series are very compatible with older standards also. And of course the notorious Cirrus 510/520.

How are Tseng Labs ET3000AX cards compatibility wise when it comes to really old games? I am just curious because mine has both VGA and EGA looking connectors at the back.

Reply 206 of 212, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, gona, I want to quickly add a report from myself (Voodoo3 owner) and an owner of a Voodoo5 I know. Pinball Illusions is unplayable on any Voodoo 3-5 in either SVGA mode. The graphics are scrambled and only show up at the top of the screen (both on CRT and LCD). My S3 VirgeDX, Trident 9440, Trident 9600, and GeForce2 MX do work fine in the SVGA modes.

Reply 207 of 212, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NightSprinter wrote on 2021-06-24, 17:47:

Hey, gona, I want to quickly add a report from myself (Voodoo3 owner) and an owner of a Voodoo5 I know. Pinball Illusions is unplayable on any Voodoo 3-5 in either SVGA mode. The graphics are scrambled and only show up at the top of the screen (both on CRT and LCD). My S3 VirgeDX, Trident 9440, Trident 9600, and GeForce2 MX do work fine in the SVGA modes.

Thanks, I have made Pinball Illusions tests on Banshee before and experienced the same. Pinball Illusions is problematic on lot videochips. Some weeks ago I have finished the VLB tests: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS_VLB/

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 209 of 212, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-25, 16:17:

Probably fixable by disabling LFB.

I don't think so. As far I know NOLFB.COM only fix DOS VESA Bios Extension 2.0 applications that have a fallback code that supports the segmented video modes for VESA Bios Extension 1.2 (linear framebuffer was defined first in the VESA Bios Extension 2.0, so this method switch to VBE 1.2 compatible mode which has no linear framebuffer definition). But I have already tested Rob Muller's VESA12.COM (which do the same as the NOLFB.COM so prevent using LFB) on Voodoo Banshee with Pinball Illusions without success, so I think this problem not based on linear framebuffer. I have tested all tools on my page and lot fariations of them (with different loading orders) but still scrambled graphics.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 210 of 212, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far I know NOLFB.COM only fix DOS VESA Bios Extension 2.0 applications that have a fallback code

You can disable LFB without fallback requirement. For example, UniVBE has command to disable LFB without touching anything else.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 211 of 212, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-26, 20:01:

As far I know NOLFB.COM only fix DOS VESA Bios Extension 2.0 applications that have a fallback code

You can disable LFB without fallback requirement. For example, UniVBE has command to disable LFB without touching anything else.

OK, I will try it.

Reply 212 of 212, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-26, 20:01:

I have forget than none of UniVBE versions are support 3Dfx cores. I have tested the "UniVBE OFF LFB" on an other videocard has problem with high res Pinball Illusions but nothing changed.