VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 560 of 652, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i posted 3 issues back in 2015, but no one seemed to have noticed. so i would bump a bit hoping someone would share some ideas.

1. v2200 with quake3, 3d graphics is okay, but the main menu screen flickers heavily, and the screen is split diagonally. this also happens with v1000 when triple buffering is disabled.
2. for v1000, there are two opengl ICDs: a "full" opengl and a "gold" minigl. the "full" opengl works with most opengl games i tested, but quake2 graphics is totally messed up. the "gold" minigl on the contrary works with only quake2.
3. for v1000, need for speed 5 porsche2000 managed to enter the main menu, but only two most simple tracks: zone industrial and monte carol can be played correctly. all other tracks can't be properly rendered, with the whole world missing and the car floating in the void. v2200 is fine with this game.

Reply 561 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Umm well the Verite cards had support mostly end in late 1998 and the drivers were beta quality at that point so yes they have problems especially with newer games. It's also a matter of trying various driver releases if you have problems with a game because the behavior can vary a lot between them.

V1000 is also a rather glitchy chip with filllrate limitations so you're best off playing Speedy3D and RRedline games on it. It's not really a great D3D or OpenGL chip.

Reply 562 of 652, by 88mphTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I spotted an eBay listing last week that had no photos (literally), but it did mention Sierra and Screamin. I snapped it up, hoping it would be a V1000. Turns out it was a lot more than a V1000.

Here is the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134179582287
(when ebay purges it, no photos and just says "SIERRA / CANOPUS 300-00003-001A0 SCREAMIN'3D PCI VIDEO CARD")

Here is what arrived:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CghkuCluACF/

I had no idea it included the box, etc.

Reply 563 of 652, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
88mphTim wrote on 2022-07-28, 16:31:
I spotted an eBay listing last week that had no photos (literally), but it did mention Sierra and Screamin. I snapped it up, hop […]
Show full quote

I spotted an eBay listing last week that had no photos (literally), but it did mention Sierra and Screamin. I snapped it up, hoping it would be a V1000. Turns out it was a lot more than a V1000.

Here is the listing:
(when ebay purges it, no photos and just says "SIERRA / CANOPUS 300-00003-001A0 SCREAMIN'3D PCI VIDEO CARD")

Here is what arrived:

It's lovely, congrats!

Reply 564 of 652, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
88mphTim wrote on 2022-07-28, 16:31:
I spotted an eBay listing last week that had no photos (literally), but it did mention Sierra and Screamin. I snapped it up, hop […]
Show full quote

Here is the listing:

Here is what arrived:

I saw that listing as well. Incredible that it was the whole box!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 565 of 652, by 88mphTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a couple of cards not shown in the first post. Both acquired via eBay from Hungary this week.

Attachments

• t7ACZqV5.jpg
    Filename
    t7ACZqV5.jpg
    File size
    672.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pic of card
    File license
    Public domain
  • IEFF0x4s.jpg
    Filename
    IEFF0x4s.jpg
    File size
    657.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pic of card
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 568 of 652, by 88mphTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@nemo1985 I still don't have enough posts to reply to a DM yet, but basically if you search on eBay for a term, setup the location, category etc however you want for the search and see no results you can select 'save this search' underneath the top search bar and then setup either email or phone alerts for any listings that match it. It isn't instant though, so you would have to be lucky or (as I did) check the saved searches occasionally manually.

I haven't any intention of hoarding these cards like I appear to be, I run a sim racing site and have basically bought each of the video cards that ever rendered a racing game, including an NVIDIA NV1, PowerVR, Matrox MGA, 3DFX, etc. Slowly intending to write articles like this one:
https://racesimcentral.net/nascar-racing-acce … 3d-blaster-vlb/

So I'll resell them eventually, but intend to hold onto the Sierra Screamin3D because of IndyCar Racing II:
https://racesimcentral.net/indycar-racing-ii- … ion-experience/

Reply 569 of 652, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
88mphTim wrote on 2022-08-04, 06:53:

@nemo1985 I still don't have enough posts to reply to a DM yet, but basically if you search on eBay for a term, setup the location, category etc however you want for the search and see no results you can select 'save this search' underneath the top search bar and then setup either email or phone alerts for any listings that match it. It isn't instant though, so you would have to be lucky or (as I did) check the saved searches occasionally manually.

Thank you for the complete and quick answer, I already have an alert for the terms Rendition Verite, but no luck, may I ask which term did you use to find it?

Reply 570 of 652, by 88mphTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-08-04, 09:57:
88mphTim wrote on 2022-08-04, 06:53:

Thank you for the complete and quick answer, I already have an alert for the terms Rendition Verite, but no luck, may I ask which term did you use to find it?

I had all these for that one card. I ended up getting a fully boxed Sierra card even though the listing didn't say it was (the listing had no pictures at all).

sierra screamin
screamin 3d
rendition
v1000
sierra v1000
canopus sierra
"v1000-e"
sierra video card
sierra gpu
sierra graphics card

Basically if you have the app on your phone check saved searches occasionally and there will be a blue dot beside anything that has something listed under it. The email and alerts are NOT sent instantly but those blue dots are. You can leave the items for all categories but you'll get a lot of unwanted items if you do. You also might want to double up some of these and save searches for the terms both in 'vintage computing' and (where you also find modern ones) 'graphics cards'.

Reply 571 of 652, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well about rendition verite wrapper -
in SDK of rredline there is exports starting
VL_ ...(redline.dll)
and
V_...(verite.dll)

i can find in header files (*.h) a returning type, but i cannot find accept type parameters.

for example:
there is
vl_error V_DLLIMPORT VL_RegisterErrorHandler(vl_error_handler peh)

"vl_error_handler" -is refers to "typedef vl_error_handler (V_DLLIMPORT *VL_GetErrorHandler_Type)(void);"

VL_GetErrorHandler_Type???? No where in SDK it defined.

other mentions i found - but none of them gives answer. The "VL_GetErrorHandler_Type" should be retrived from decompiling of redline.dll or/and redline.lib or find more source codes of redline realization.

extern VL_GetErrorHandler_Type VL_GetErrorHandler;

VL_GetErrorHandler = (VL_GetErrorHandler_Type)
GetProcAddress(Redline_Instance, "VL_GetErrorHandler");

VL_GetErrorHandler_Type VL_GetErrorHandler = NULL;

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 574 of 652, by 88mphTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-01-13, 14:59:

this price makes no sense...

I got the same video card without all the scratches a few months back with box, CDs, etc for $140. Though I didn't know it included the box as there were no images on the listing. So they are out there.

Honestly it's kind of nice to see one of these listed. It shows they exist. But I agree the price is insane.

Reply 575 of 652, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
88mphTim wrote on 2023-01-13, 15:18:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-01-13, 14:59:

this price makes no sense...

I got the same video card without all the scratches a few months back with box, CDs, etc for $140. Though I didn't know it included the box as there were no images on the listing. So they are out there.

Honestly it's kind of nice to see one of these listed. It shows they exist. But I agree the price is insane.

Yeah, that seems quite excessive. I still have the one my brother bought back in 1996, complete with the box and CDs.

No intention of trying to hock it on ebay any time soon for $1500 either. 🤣

EDIT: Also, what's with this comment in the listing:
"it boasts 30% better 2D over other rendition cards with the same chip"

If it's the same chip, how can the 2D performance be better? There are different versions of the V1000, but... then they aren't the same chip...?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 576 of 652, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original V1000E is apparently clocked at 50MHz, where as the V1000L is clocked at 60MHz. V1000L is also less power hungry which also means it stays cooler.

These should be taken with a grain of salt as vendors had a tendency to do as they pleased i.e. pair the chip with crap memory, downclocking the chip to match the memory speed in the process, all just to make an extra buck.

Reply 577 of 652, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Garrett W wrote on 2023-01-13, 21:34:

The original V1000E is apparently clocked at 50MHz, where as the V1000L is clocked at 60MHz. V1000L is also less power hungry which also means it stays cooler.

These should be taken with a grain of salt as vendors had a tendency to do as they pleased i.e. pair the chip with crap memory, downclocking the chip to match the memory speed in the process, all just to make an extra buck.

Right, so it's a different chip. Seller seems to be stretching that a little bit.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 579 of 652, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, two weeks ago I made a post about my Kasan Blitz Verite 2200 card. Can anyone who also own this card take a look? I need some help, as there is very little information about this particular card on the internet.

Kasan Blitz 2200 - missing components?