VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 780 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should lighting in Quake and Half Life have this blocky appearance on a Matrox m3D or is there is a setting I can change to correct? Possibly a different driver I should be using?

Attachments

Reply 782 of 1104, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is same for me in all quake and unreal engine games, i think its normal.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 784 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-04-30, 11:18:

PVR Cards are better in Tombraider, JediKnight MOS and other earlier games.

Got it, I don’t mind it so much, someone on Twitter said they were able to fix it with a different driver but didn’t seem right to me.

What is JediKnight MOS? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Reply 786 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Motoracer1 runs good on PCX1. You have to set to PowerVR via 3dcontrol-center and I always use the power-vr flag. Some tracks will not work accelerated because there is not enough free vram.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 788 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can only compare rageIIc vs. PCX1 because these two are in that machine.
RageIIc is better on Hellbender. It does not work with the PCI-Sound in that machine on PCX1. (ESS-Solo1)
Both are not fast enough for DungeonKeeper1 D3D. (Sound issues on PCX1 too)

If we are talking D3D the PCX1 is faster then RageIIc, but in some cases D3D with PCX1 does not work. (e.g. Expendable/Incoming by Rage Software)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 789 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I’m currently hitting ~37FPS@512x384 on a Matrox m3D in Unreal 217. In Quake 2 I’m seeing ~24 FPS@400x300. This is on a K6-3@450Mhz. Before I go to the trouble, would moving this card to a 1.4Ghz Tualitin system yield much gain?

Attachments

Reply 790 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, moved it over to the 1.4 Tualitin for fun and seeing ~47fps in Unreal at 512x384x24.

Quake 2 is hitting 33fps at 400x300x24.

Some decent gains over the K6-3.

This was using a Tseng Labs et6000 has the host. I tried also with a Matrox G200 AGP and was having issues. Unreal wouldn’t start for example.

Attachments

Reply 793 of 1104, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that makes sense but someone mentioned a toggle switch using the existing crystal about 10 years ago, is this method still known?

Attachments

Reply 798 of 1104, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Woah you are having some fun there overclocking a PCX2! 😀

In regards to testing the Neon 250.. not yet. Life got in the way but maybe over the next few days.

Also have a PCX2 and found a NVIDIA AGP card was a few frames faster when combined with it, just a few. Some people reported problems mixing the two but worked okay for me.

Reply 799 of 1104, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like that mwdmeyer's cool new card is doing the pin lifting mod mentioned in the guide you found Chadti..

Overclocking your FSB/PCI speed really helps all round performance as well.
I am trying to get a system stable with the PCI bus at 50MHz +, then I might test this mod in conjunction.