VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 800 of 805, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hanamichi wrote on 2021-05-03, 16:43:

Sounds like that mwdmeyer's cool new card is doing the pin lifting mod mentioned in the guide you found Chadti..

Overclocking your FSB/PCI speed really helps all round performance as well.
I am trying to get a system stable with the PCI bus at 50MHz +, then I might test this mod in conjunction.

I may give the pin lift mod a try but do have some crystals on the way.

Curious what mobo+cpu are you running to push 50mhz PCI with the PowerVR? My Asus P3B-F has an option for ~43Mhz I think but maybe a different bios version would help me tweak that higher? But I haven’t tested 43 so def gonna give that a try.

Reply 801 of 805, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess that 43mhz is a strap when the CPU FSB is running stock at 100MHz. So you can set that and see if it is stable first.

Then see if you are able to raise the CPU FSB.
Depending on the bios the strap may "loosen" i.e. go down automatically with more FSB, however, If the strap stays the same..every FSB increase will also increase the PCI speed above that 43Mhz.

Just watch out for storage and audio corruption.

I use an AOpen AX3S Pro-U which handily can lock the straps with jumpers.

Reply 803 of 805, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So 18.432 is just a bit too much, seeing some graphics corruption even with a make shift cooler, which admittedly isn’t the best. But damn it’s quite a bit faster!

Unreal@512x384x24=58fps, up from 49
Quake2@640x480x24=30fps , up from 24
Quake@400x300x24=71fps , up from 64

Maybe with better cooling it would resolve but thinking I should back it down to an 18.0 crystal if I can find one.

Attachments

Reply 804 of 805, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MMD143AK is original detail in that card? hmm i have modded PowerVR card with heat sink and cooler that i guess from 486 pc processor.
need to look what exactly i have than.
Ist a bit risky to change original details in cards/accelerators =0

https://hexenworld.org/forum/index.php (Heretic's & HeXen's forum)
https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 805 of 805, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2021-05-07, 06:26:

MMD143AK is original detail in that card? hmm i have modded PowerVR card with heat sink and cooler that i guess from 486 pc processor.
need to look what exactly i have than.
Ist a bit risky to change original details in cards/accelerators =0

Correct, the original was an MMD143AK or a A159H7, which despite info on the link I found, run at the same speed.

I was able to swap the crystal on the 2nd board I have, with the A159H7, but running stable now! I’ve got a socket7 cooler attached. Seeing the exact performance numbers as the card that had the MMD143AK with swapped crystal. Mechwarrior 2 is running super smooth.

Anyone know how to show FPS in MW2?