VOGONS

VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 1395, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

It would be good if you note in the description which games are represented in a too slow speed due to the 60 Hz.

Out of every game I've tried, the only one that ran too slow was Descent. Gameplay seemed okay but the music was being played back at a much lower tempo. I haven't tried Descent 2 to see if it's the same way, but I wouldn't doubt it has the same problem. Maybe we should start a community-sourced list of games that are compatible and incompatible with VGA240?

edit: Actually, Descent runs just fine. I remembered the music being faster, but I compared it at 70hz to how it sounds at 60hz and it's the exact same. Weird.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 441 of 1395, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My VGA capture setup I'm sure is pretty laughable.........It cost me a total of $10.00

Anyting with VGA I'm capturing from uses a PC to Video EZ to convert the output signal to composite. I got this for free from a colleague who had no use for it (wanted to use it with their TV but only works well with VGA not DVI converters and whatnot). But perfect for me being as I have/had a 286, 486, Pentium 100, and Pentium 4 with VGA (though the P4 can do HDMI from DVI as well).

51xOpbid47L._SY355_.jpg

Than this is what I use to capture the signal and send it to my modern PC - a Core2 Duo 3.0GHz 4GB 500SSD machine, running Open Broadcaster Software on Windows 10 Pro x64. It's a junky little Honestech MY VIDBOX capture device. It works great though.

s-l1600.jpg

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 442 of 1395, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

I'am actually quite happy with my Epiphan DVI2PCIe, captures basically everything from 15 kHz to 1920x1200 60 Hz. It does up to 85 Hz at 1280x1024 and even more at lower resolutions.

vvbee wrote:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

We live in an era today where VGA capture cards can be had for 100-300 dollars

20 dollars.

1,000, 200, 20; that's quite a swing!

If my requirements are:

• The most accurate capture possible
  • 640x480 / 800x600 / 1024x768 / 1600x1200
  • @ 60Hz or better
  • Windows Games (95/98) from 1997-2000 on period-correct hardware (all VGA out, furthermore)
  • Windows 10 capture PC

What should I be looking at?

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 444 of 1395, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shows what I know... I don't purchase often enough to know the latest prices.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 445 of 1395, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get VGA capture for very cheap if you're satisfied with scan converters that turn it into an analog composite signal. It gets pricier if you want internal capture cards, or higher quality capture. The pricing is quite variable.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 446 of 1395, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quality I'm getting from the same base model as the $20 cards, magnified 8x and 16x. 94% clean, could maybe address the last few % but don't care enough to try. Used a cheap vga cable but I don't think it matters enough at the 640x480 and less I use. I wouldn't use the card for high res by the way, unless primarily for hd screenshots.

q1_.png q2_.png

Reply 447 of 1395, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wondering - are these things any good? https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Male-To-HDMI-Out … er/122882387270
Seems too good to be true for the price... I know Chinese stuff can be quite good even if very cheap, but not sure about this.

I have AverMedia Live Gamer HD HDMI capture card which works (or should work) with pretty much everything that have DVI port. Except Radeon X800/850 series, which for some reason are not compatible with DVI->HDMI adapters. The thing is I would like to record some Glide games footage using real Voodoo cards, which is is kinda difficult (V4/5 MAC are hard to get and very expensive), or not possible at all (V3 and older) without an ability to use VGA. Recording DOS on more or less period-correct video cards (i.e. older than Radeon 7000 PCI) would be nice also.

Anyone have experience with these cheap VGA to HDMI adapters?

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 448 of 1395, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with the inexpensive ones is that they support specific VGA modes (from 640x480 up) and they upconvert everything to 720p or 1080i/p 60Hz regardless of the source format. I generally don't bother with them too much.

Reply 450 of 1395, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No emulator was involved in the capturing of this image :

vlcsnap-2018-02-02-11h37m08s103.png
Filename
vlcsnap-2018-02-02-11h37m08s103.png
File size
274 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 452 of 1395, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vga capture of random gameplay of games of my choosing, accelerated by the matrox g400. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkBWIlDIyE. Formula 1 97, monster truck madness 1, monster truck madness 2, final fantasy vii, f-22 lightning 3, colin mcrae rally 1, monaco grand prix racing simulation 2, soldier of fortune, superbike 2001, grand prix 3, need for speed 5, midtown madness, mobil 1 rally championship, diablo 2, gothic 2: night of the raven, trainz, and f1 2002 pre-release.

I wasn't aware that ff7 summons had their own music, but at least bahamut seems to have a few tension notes separate from the main midi. Monster truck madness 1 looks like crap still.

Reply 453 of 1395, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

elianda, any tips on shifting the capture image on DVI2PCIe Duo?

My capture area is shifted up and to the right.

I see settings for adjusting the horizontal and vertical shift, but changing these does nothing in real time, and when I close the window, the settings don't appear to save:

capfail.jpg
Filename
capfail.jpg
File size
57.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 454 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes, run it as admin, then you get the apply button.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 455 of 1395, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

yes, run it as admin, then you get the apply button.

How thoughtful of them. 😵 Thanks.

After adjusting the shifts, vertical is perfectly aligned, but horizontal staunchly refuses to do what it's told.

Whatever I set it at (e.g. -92, -5, 0, 7, 92, etc) the entire image shifts to the right within 1-3 seconds of making the adjustment. Sometimes it shifts back. And then right again. At seemingly random intervals. But at all times there is a vertical black bar of dead space on the right or the left; at no point does 640x480 display fully. If I increase the PLL by one, sometimes for a brief second it appears that the full image is displayed correctly, but it always ends up shifted right. Not to mention, I'm not sure if I'm disorting the real image by increasing PLL.

I can't compensate for this by setting it further to the left than I need and letting it to do the unauthorized shift into my desired position. It just won't sit centered, like it's allergic to getting every pixel displayed.

Reply 456 of 1395, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would anyone know the parameters for custom resolutions one could dial in for CGA and such? I am contemplating connecting my Commodore 128 in 80col mode through my Extron RGB202 Plus (which can convert the RGBI signal into analog rgb for output). I just feel if I can get my VGA2USB to work with it, the image would be far better than my StarTech card.

Reply 457 of 1395, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys, I have been reading the whole thread and can't really figure out what would be the best for what I want to do.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Basically I want to record gameplays from my Pentium 133mhz using a S3 Trio +64 and post them on youtube. I don't want to use emulation and quality doesn't have to be amazing, but at least better than S-video.
Any ideas on how to setup this nicely and without it being too expensive?

Reply 458 of 1395, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pingaloka wrote:
Hi Guys, I have been reading the whole thread and can't really figure out what would be the best for what I want to do. Any help […]
Show full quote

Hi Guys, I have been reading the whole thread and can't really figure out what would be the best for what I want to do.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Basically I want to record gameplays from my Pentium 133mhz using a S3 Trio +64 and post them on youtube. I don't want to use emulation and quality doesn't have to be amazing, but at least better than S-video.
Any ideas on how to setup this nicely and without it being too expensive?

I'd say Datapath VisionRGB E1(S), while used ones still available on eBay. If you're not bothered by not-pixel-accurate image you can even just use basic Vision utility that comes with it, set it to output into fixed resolution and then record its window via OBS.

This is captured from analog output of S3 Savage4 card.

CwUIghVm.png 6eL7EXAm.png B5nqnvEm.png hh823rUm.png nUY2L6Em.png V7TKGj8m.png MAHpl9mm.png lNe9qQdm.png paDVuEAm.png

edit: There are of course some quirks, but then no card I had was flawless. Still less than others. Certain video cards you'll capture from might be better than others for capture card to switch between resolutions. One downside is that you'll have to route audio capture separately, this card does only video.