VOGONS

Best video cards with DOS / Win 3.x / Win 9x support

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 184, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you buy those cards from reputable manufacturer (MSI, Asus etc.) the picture quality is often quite good. Considering DOS compatibility I have yet to find a game that doesn't work with TNT2/Geforce 2. Their DOS compatibility is great. Do you have bad experience with them?

Reply 181 of 184, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paar wrote on 2021-01-13, 14:59:

If you buy those cards from reputable manufacturer (MSI, Asus etc.) the picture quality is often quite good. Considering DOS compatibility I have yet to find a game that doesn't work with TNT2/Geforce 2. Their DOS compatibility is great. Do you have bad experience with them?

Eh, the TNT2 m64 that I had softlocked constantly in Windows 3.1 using some drivers that I found - the i740 worked just fine. The Geforce 2...isn’t even supported.

Reply 182 of 184, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh windows 3.1? .... Tseng, cirrus logic, trident and maybe SiS and prolly mostly never heard of PCI such as win 9x never heard of PCIe
given the scarce supply of 3.x hardware an xp machine with virtual pc 2004 1st edition perhaps it has drivers? snappy hypervisor for windows only.... direct access to disk partitions without virtual disks plus support for 95 and 98 as well would make it great to relocate the disk to a real machine later when the good stuff comes to play with.

Reply 183 of 184, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently started using the Macronix MX86200 2MB as my main PCI VGA for my Cyrix 5x86 system and it has both amazing video quality and a very, very good Windows 3.1 driver.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 184 of 184, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could I put a word in for the ATi Rage XL?
It seems that a chinese manufacturer has brought up the remaining chips and is selling cards new for £10-£15.
These are chopped-down Rage Pro's basically. I dont think there is any stated Win3.x compatibility but there should be good MS-DOS (VBE) compatibility and there are Win9x drivers.