VOGONS

Reply 180 of 661, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the fastest compatible card for these games? Then i know what to look for.

Thanx..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 181 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

What is the fastest compatible card for these games? Then i know what to look for.

Thanx..

As I wrote in my last answer, any card with the GX2 chip.

Regarding compatiblity, only two S3D supported games Battle Race and Terminal Velocity have problems on GX2. The other games work on all S3 Virge cards (s3drun required for some of the DOS games)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 182 of 661, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

The patch for direct3d support in the retail version of sega rally championship has been available since 2012 here on Vogons/Google.

Yes, I'm aware of it but wanted THAT cd that I used to have with my Voodoo back then with cd-audio music and all

Reply 183 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found, tested on a M3D and uploaded the following PowerVR enabled demos:

Interstate 76 Gold demo: Only D3D
Actua Soccer 2 demo: No 3D acceleration

For the rest of the PowerVR games I could not find any demo/shareware version, except for a Actua Golf 2 demo (I found a link, but it required the CD to start).

I'll incorporate these links into the main post when I finish with the other games.

Last edited by vetz on 2014-11-24, 00:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 185 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Klingon Academy is still on the list and should be removed. That's Direct3D and definitely not UnrealEngine.

Removed.

I didn't remove it last time since I don't think you replied to my follow up question: Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Reply 187 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
leileilol wrote:

That's Direct3D and definitely not UnrealEngine.

KHG Definitely is Unreal Engine though with multiple APIs.

He was talking about Academy (a game he posted a screenshot in the PowerVR thread which made me think he had hacked it into running with SGL), not Star Trek Klingon Honor Guard. KHG is on the list as it should be.

Reply 188 of 661, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Klingon Honor Guard = dak'taghs and bat'leths, a gun that sucks in everything, andorian stripclub, Glide, SGL, Direct3D in patch, Star Trek The Next Generation

Klingon Academy = ships, ships, CHANG, ships, ships ships, CHANG, Starfleet Academy II, Direct3D only, Star Trek VI

please don't get these two confused

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 189 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thought I'll publish some screenshots from the Matrox Impression games:

Spectre MGA:
vlcsnap-2014-09-29-00h57m35s82.png

As a comparison here is Spectre VR/CD, a Windows version based on the Spectre MGA version. The windows version is superior IMO, better framerate, more content, all better:
20140929011146.jpg

Sento (Creep Clash uses same engine, but has no backgrounds)
vlcsnap-2014-09-29-01h18m03s79.png

RealityMorphics Tech Demo "DUCK"
vlcsnap-2014-09-29-01h18m49s27.png

Here are the ducks 😉
vlcsnap-2014-09-29-01h20m16s115.png

IceHawk

vlcsnap-2014-09-29-01h21m17s191.png

vlcsnap-2014-09-29-01h25m46s84.png

Reply 191 of 661, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the pics, vetz! I like the pink "horizon" effect on the Spectre VR/MGA screenshot, as well as the light-colored terrain. Looking forward to seeing a bit o' video of the Impression demos/games, when you get some put together. 😀

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 192 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Video is on its way 😀

In other news I just found and bought a Tasmania Paradise 3D, so I'll be showing the supported games when I receive it (no, it's not NitroX Infinity's card).

Reply 193 of 661, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

After two years of searching I finally got my hands on the PowerVR version of Flight Unlimited through some epic epic Google skillz. This should be the last of the known OEM releases for PowerVR to be documented.

Really nice graphical version of Flight Unlimited -- just wish they had included clouds, it would have really given it so much more realistic atmosphere.

Reply 194 of 661, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Video is on its way 😀

In other news I just found and bought a Tasmania Paradise 3D, so I'll be showing the supported games when I receive it (no, it's not NitroX Infinity's card).

I always felt the Air Power game was overly criticized (it made CGW's "Worst Games" list). If it is accelerated/enhanced by the Paradise card, I would be very interested in seeing! 😀

Reply 195 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digitaldoofus wrote:

Really nice graphical version of Flight Unlimited -- just wish they had included clouds, it would have really given it so much more realistic atmosphere.

I tweaked the settings a bit more after the screenshots to improve the bilinear filtering. I've think I've made it as good as possible in this video:

Flight Unlimited on PowerVR PCX2 640x480 (AMD K6-III @ 500mhz)

For comparison (some clips I had in my capture catalog):
Flight Unlimited on 3D Blaster PCI 640x400 (Pentium 133)

Flight Unlimited on 3D Blaster VLB 640x400 (AMD 5x86 160mhz) More footage here.
Shot offscreen, no VGA capture.

Flight Unlimited software 640x480 (Pentium 200MMX)

Settings used are not the same in all the clips, nor are the CPU speeds, so take this with a grain of salt 😀

The terrain "jumps" a bit in the PowerVR version. You can also notice this on other versions (including software), but it's not as noticeable as with bilinear filtering turned on. I personally think this game looks and runs best in software mode which allows for a stunning 1024x768 resolution. Ofc you need a very quick Pentium III to make this possible. This game was only released for the PowerVR on the Midas3 card which had no bilinear filtering, making it look very similar to the software version, just with no clouds. I'm going to use my 1996 setup and put in a Pentium 166 and test all the different versions. To be able to compare performance to the 3D Blaster VLB I will also need to test the cards with a Pentium 100 (as my VLB setup has a Pentium Overdrive 83@100mhz). Personally I think the 3D Blaster VLB wins at Pentium 100 speeds. When it comes to the Pentium 166 I'm more in doubt about Midas3 or 3D Blaster PCI.

digitaldoofus wrote:

I always felt the Air Power game was overly criticized (it made CGW's "Worst Games" list). If it is accelerated/enhanced by the Paradise card, I would be very interested in seeing! 😀

Alot of users and some reviews all claimed that they never received these three games from Paradise/WD. So it's going to be interesting to see if the retail version actually works.

Reply 196 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As some of you might have seen from this thread, I now got my hands on a Paradise Tasmania 3D card.

Some screenshots of the bundled Tasmania games (see video link below):
Tank Commander (640x480):
20141013193056.jpg
20141013193424.jpg

FX Fighter (640x400)
vlcsnap-2014-10-13-19h49m35s147.png

Tank Commander runs the best of the two, but the graphics are very simple. IMO Stunts from 1990 almost looks better! FX Figher is a better looking game and it does not run as well, but I had big problems displaying this game on my LCD monitors. Only my CRT and Avermedia Gamebroadcaster worked! As some might notice there are no perspective correction on the textures in the game. I guess the card does not support that. It is not hard to see why this product failed. Compared to the 1995 offerings of Creative 3D Blaster VLB and Diamond Edge 3D this is clearly the inferior product.

I tested the card in my Pentium 100 Intel 430VX machine.

I'll put together a short video of the two games 😀
EDIT: Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKr8OVfARI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by vetz on 2014-10-13, 19:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 197 of 661, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah! At last we can see Paradise Tasmania 3D screenshots (I think these pictures are world's first Tasmania 3D screenshots). 😁
Great job, thanks for that! 😀

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 198 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gona wrote:

Yeah! At last we can see Paradise Tasmania 3D screenshots (I think these pictures are world's first Tasmania 3D screenshots). 😁
Great job, thanks for that! 😀

Thanks 😀

Here is a short video of the card in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKr8OVfARI&feature=youtu.be

Reply 199 of 661, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is really good to see a Tasmania 3D in action! Yes, this 3D is really simple, but we have had to see it to compare it to others. Great and helpful video, nice job! 😀

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix