VOGONS

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 355, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run screamer 2 (Bleifuss 2) on my Pentium 3 GHz in Windows XP with Voodoo2. (Voodoo dragon 2 12 MB)

But i Run it in Dosbox with Glide=true setting.
Dosbox emulate a Voodoo1 Card, but the Graphics are rendered by the real Voodoo2 Card.

With this Card i can't get any Game to Run in real DOS mode.
Tryed it on 3 PCs with different Drivers.
Tested with Carmageddon, Bleifuss 2, Extreme Assault.

None of the Game runs, the Card is detectet and i Get Access to the Game Menue, but when the 3D Action Starts, the Game crashes.

Reply 101 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:
with what system specs and setings do you guys get screamer 2 and screamer rally working on v2 and v3? […]
Show full quote

with what system specs and setings do you guys get screamer 2 and screamer rally working on v2 and v3?

here only my v1 system works perfectly with both and i got only screamer rally running on v2 but with a little bit of corruption. screamer 2 i can`t get to work with v2 (tested different exe`s from the web) and v3 will not work on both games except software mode ofcourse...

please help me out with exact details on settings, and if it can be done from 98se, 98se dos or pure dos?

these are my favorite 3dfx games!!!!

These games work on all my systems, so it's pointless to write any system specs.

Make sure you've downloaded the correct patches. See first post.

Make sure you have an ORIGINAL copy of the game

With this Card i can't get any Game to Run in real DOS mode.
Tryed it on 3 PCs with different Drivers.
Tested with Carmageddon, Bleifuss 2, Extreme Assault.

Did you patch those games for the Voodoo2?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 103 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@vetz

i have the original disk of screamer 2 and have the patch that was mentioned, it just gives me a black screen with the voodoo2 (i do hear sound so the game runs at that time).

and this runs also with the same patches on voodoo3 on your systems?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 104 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have tried the Ykhwong's DOSBox (glide=true) + real Voodoo2 combo.
Some results are obvious (all statically linked games aren't working; Archimedean Dynasty, Dreams of Reality, Prost Grand Prix and Tie Break Tennis are freezing).
Screamer Rally - the original patch crashes (Intro race is a good detector) with "grTexDownloadMipMap: mipmap cannot span 2 Mbyte boundary" error. After I have limited V2 texture memory to 2 MB - the game is working perfectly.
Unfortunatedly you can't just set SSTV2_TMU_MEMSIZE=2 in DOSBox, this will be ignored. You must limit the texture size in Voodoo2 control panel.

But the 2nd patch (sr3dfx2.exe) freezes in the middle of a race. WtF?

Screamer 2 original patch working ok with DOSBox+real Voodoo2.
And maybe if you force 2 MB limit (with SSTV2_TMU_MEMSIZE=2) - strt3fx.exe will work in a real DOS?

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2014-06-13, 23:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 106 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:

On XP i use the Koolsmokey-Drivers

No, I use retail Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers. They are Xp compatible. The only tweak - you must set fxgpio and fxptl as system services ("start"=1). You can do it with regedit or with Device Manager (show hidden devices=on, non-PnP devices, Voodoo2 PCI Port I/O and Voodoo2 Memory Mapper).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 107 of 355, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i had some Problems with dosbox and voodoo2 too.

But is was Driver related.

If it helps you, i can try dosbox and voodoo2 with screamer2 in my setting.

had the Same Problem with Colin mc rae, Sound but Black screen.
Aber changing from fastvoodoo to koolsmoky Driver it worked.

Reply 108 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had another attempt at getting screamer 2 to work with my v2 sli. still no go..... very frustrating!! Normal software mode works fine, and never had a problem with a voodoo1. I am using an original disk.
Used v1 patch, v2 patch from screamer rally disk,batch files from vogons, s2v2.zip from vogons, disable/enable sli, windows mode, dos mode, dos 6.22 bootdisk, .ovl file in game folder etc. multiple clean installs of the game.

Can someone please take me trough the process?

When i do a clean full install of screamer 2, do i need to apply the voodoo1 patch first and then unpack s2v2.zip or can i do this directly? Do i need to run setup.exe before or after the patch?
Also which v2 driver do i have to use (win98se).

I tried everything and all i get is a black screen with sound or completely nothing. Screamer rally is finally working perfectly but this one i can`t seem to figure out.

This is the 3th evening i spend on it and still it is not working....grrrrrrrr

Reply 110 of 355, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of the four on the list that don't work, dreams to reality supports directx, tie break tennis looks like it could live without acceleration, and blood a meh fps. Prost Grand Prix is the only one that might be worth trying to get v2 working with it.

Reply 111 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you VERY MUCH vetz! I am really lost on this one. Yesterday i had another attempt and i just can`t seem to get it to work.

Please give me every little detail (Os, v2 driver, sli? driver settings, and if you run in windows, dos under windows or dos by pressing f8).

Thanks again, i do not rest before this works 🤣

I will do a completely new installation of windows 98se, and wait for your instructions... this will be a ``screamer only`` partition 😎 😎 😎

Reply 112 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Screamer II with a Voodoo 2: http://youtu.be/HCkSQTVuOAI

It can't have been difficult as I got it going 😊

I did a guide on the GOG.com versions of the games and how to get them going on a real retro gaming PC: http://youtu.be/ABhWp1IoSjw

But not sure if I covered 3dfx.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 113 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure....go ahead! Rub it in....

Now, if you excuse me, i go back banging my head against the wall 🤣

Reply 114 of 355, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just checked it out on my setup, a P1 MMX with a single Voodoo2 (no sli) in pure DOS 6.22.
After installing and configuring the game I applied the patch (the one that writes the S2_65kh.exe, S2_256h.exe etc files, it is on my screamer disk and is entitled "Screamer 2 Patch Installation (v1.11)"). Then copied the .exe and batch file from the 1st page of this thread and it run right away without problems.
But I have problems running screamer rally that you don't 😀 so I guest things can get weird when running Voodoo1 games using a Voodoo2... maybe the card itself plays an important role (although it shouldn't)? I don't know, just an idea...

Reply 115 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watched both video`s, unfortunately they don`t show how you did get screamer2 running on the v2, did it run in sli?

I saw a comment on youtube about the graphical glitches, is there anyway to reduce them? I know they are there also on a voodoo1 but any other game has far less glitches.

Did the screamer games use glide different or is it because of the dos glide? (most glide games i use are windows versions i think).

Does it look better on voodoo3? (please say no, otherwise i will spend days on getting it to run on v3 AFTER it runs on v2 🤣 )

Anyone running this on voodoo5? 😵

Reply 116 of 355, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you konc, do you have 98se on that machine and can you try it in windows?

Screamer rally i just did a full install, and run the setup for sound etc. Then i copied the file sr3dfx2.exe to the game map and this starts the game with v2 sli fully working (driver all default settings)

sr3dfx2.exe has to be the 1.021kb version or it will not work. I use win98se. Don`t know if it makes any difference but the screamer rally cd is an italian .iso from the web. So language is italian only. It is burned on cd.

Screamer2 i have the original disk.

Last edited by meljor on 2014-08-11, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 117 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed the game on MS-DOS 7.1. That's the DOS that comes with Windows 98SE.

V3 will always look better than V2. But it is likely even less compatible to old Voodoo games.

My YouTube channel

Reply 118 of 355, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:
Thank you konc, do you have 98se on that machine and can you try it in windows? […]
Show full quote

Thank you konc, do you have 98se on that machine and can you try it in windows?

Screamer rally i just did a full install, and run the setup for sound etc. Then i copied the file sr3dfx2.exe to the game map and this starts the game with v2 sli fully working (driver all default settings)

sr3dfx2.exe has to be the 1.021kb version or it will not work. I use win98se. Don`t know if it makes any difference but the screamer rally cd is an italian .iso from the web. So language is italian only. It is burned on cd.

Screamer2 i have the original disk.

Sorry, no. It's a pure dos system, only dos 6.22.

About rally, aren't you using the .exe from this thread? With this, I can't get the game to start although it runs with software rendering. Did you use another executable to launch 3dfx mode?

Reply 119 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You do have all the environment variables set?

My YouTube channel