VOGONS

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 355, by BillyH666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't seem to get gtafx (installed from the retail disc) running on my Voodoo3 2000, the graphics are just weird frozen static lines on parts of my monitor. Are there any settings I should change?

Reply 321 of 355, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are your specs, are other Dos glide games running fine?

Last edited by ruthan on 2020-02-09, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 322 of 355, by BillyH666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

What are you specs, are other Dos glide games running fine?

Video Card: Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Live!
CPU: AMD K6-2 550AGR
Mobo: BCM VP1543

Tomb Raider (with rush/banshee patch) and Carmageddon both run glide mode fine.

Reply 323 of 355, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

without going through 17 pages 😉 could somebody reupload the whole package to a server instead of mediafire single files ? (and update the first post...)

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 324 of 355, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2019-02-02, 12:08:

I tested tomb raider quite a while to get it working with voodoo 2 card. Basically in the end I managed to make it work on my pentium 3 system.
From http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/voodoo2.html I downloaded driver version win9x V3.03.00 and I copied glide2x.ovl file from the driver to the tomb raider installation directly. All the other glide2x.ovl file version from other driver packages on that web site were too speed sensitive that my voodoo 2 would not be detected by them in pentium 3 system.

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I'm having a hell of a time getting my Voodoo 2 setup, but this worked for me on Tomb Raider on my Pentium 3 with Voodoo 2! The Tombrush file alone wasn't doing it - needed that glide2x.ovl added to the directory.

Reply 326 of 355, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I need some help, I have anP2@450, 128MB RAM and running pure DOS with Voodoo2. I have installed the Shadow Warrior registered edition and applied the patch, I have those glide2x.* files on my dos PATH that is c:\DOS71.
I have done a batch file like this
SET SST_GRXCLK=90
SET SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
SET SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
SET SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2

After using the new SETUP that come with the "patch" I run the bat and start the game and it freezes with "Could not open 3Dfx context. Exiting..."
Please note that the shareware version with 3dfx patch worked well with no environment vars defined
Any kind help please?

Reply 327 of 355, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know the topic is DOS, but just for curiosity's sake: Will the Windows release of "Dreams to Reality" work with a Voodoo 2?
And does anyone have a guess what the issue is with the DOS version, considering that glide can be made to work with a Voodoo 3/4/5?

Reply 328 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-11-24, 22:09:

I know the topic is DOS, but just for curiosity's sake: Will the Windows release of "Dreams to Reality" work with a Voodoo 2?
And does anyone have a guess what the issue is with the DOS version, considering that glide can be made to work with a Voodoo 3/4/5?

1. No.
2. The backward compatibility isn't 100% for Voodoo2s. Dunno about the source of this bug (hardware or software) but some DOS glide games freezes on Voodoo2s right after the 3dfx logo.
Carmageddon, Extreme Assault and Screamer Rally are affected but have Voodoo2 patches. Dreams to Reality, Prost Grand Prix, Screamer 2 and Tie Break Tennis are affected and still not have the Voodoo2 compatibility. *Censored*

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 329 of 355, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote on 2020-12-06, 22:29:

1. No.
2. The backward compatibility isn't 100% for Voodoo2s. Dunno about the source of this bug (hardware or software) but some DOS glide games freezes on Voodoo2s right after the 3dfx logo.
Carmageddon, Extreme Assault and Screamer Rally are affected but have Voodoo2 patches. Dreams to Reality, Prost Grand Prix, Screamer 2 and Tie Break Tennis are affected and still not have the Voodoo2 compatibility. *Censored*

That's unfortunate. Has anyone ever invested time in checking the Banshee with DOS glide games, like EF2000 or Archimedean Dynasty? I have repeatedly seen it being described as on par with a V2 in terms of compatibility, but the Banshee at least can run Dreams to Reality (I've seen a video of it lately).

Reply 330 of 355, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Archimedian Dynasty works with a Banshee but some of the ground textures are missing (showing only black squares).

Probably because the second TMU is missing.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 331 of 355, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds more akin to the Voodoo3, which has the same problems. I'm curious if static link games like EF2000 or Whiplash would run on a Banshee. So far those have only been confirmed to work with V1/V2.

Reply 333 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-12-07, 09:17:

I'm curious if static link games like EF2000 or Whiplash would run on a Banshee.

The theory: static linked games can't use the hub architecture (Intel 8xx and later).
The code checks the bus 0 only. And fails the card detection (the hub architecture uses 02 for PCI slots, 01 for the AGP slot and 00 for integrated devices).
I not have a Voodoo Graphics so can't test.

Reply 334 of 355, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote on 2020-12-09, 19:31:

The theory: static linked games can't use the hub architecture (Intel 8xx and later).
The code checks the bus 0 only. And fails the card detection (the hub architecture uses 02 for PCI slots, 01 for the AGP slot and 00 for integrated devices).
I not have a Voodoo Graphics so can't test.

So static link games might even work on a Voodoo3/4/5, as long as I stick to something like 420TX/440BX? Or is that just one of several dependencies?

Reply 335 of 355, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-12-10, 14:30:

So static link games might even work on a Voodoo3/4/5, as long as I stick to something like 420TX/440BX? Or is that just one of several dependencies?

No, static link games will not work with anything but Voodoo1. The linked library directly drives Voodoo1 hardware and expecting Voodoo1 registers map.

Reply 336 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another DOSglide (DOSglide + Winglide to be precise) game to the list. Gunmetal. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/gunmetal.
Use gun.exe /glide then select a 3dfx mode in the Graphics menu.

Reply 338 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FeedingDragon wrote on 2021-01-05, 01:00:

Has anyone archived the downloads from the first post? The links are broken and I lost my archive 🙁

There has been a mirror link up on the files for a long time.

I've removed the old dropbox links (the reason they were there was because of the filename, but I've moved that out of the links).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 339 of 355, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I totally missed the MediaFire link 🙁 I thought I had checked. I know I scrolled through the last 4 pages of messages to see if a mirror link had been posted.

All that being said. After downloading them again, and going through to organize them, I found my old archive - which is up to date. So all that effort I didn't need to go through 🙁

Feeding Dragon