Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Any info on how to engage 3dfx mode would be nice, then I'll let you know how it works on this platform with a voodoo3.

Install the game in DOS with installfx.bat.
Run the game in DOS with dreamsfx.exe.

Reply 41 of 355, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Any info on how to engage 3dfx mode would be nice, then I'll let you know how it works on this platform with a voodoo3.

Install the game in DOS with installfx.bat.
Run the game in DOS with dreamsfx.exe.

Well.. I guess I wasted $0.65 then, I don't have DOS on this machine anymore, just Win98. And trying to run it from "Restart in MS-DOS mode" doesn't work, just a bunch of "Access denied" errors.

Old gaming is pretty crappy, I was staying in DOS and hoping for playing 3dfx games in DOS mode.. but then I had to go use win98 on this machine to use the 3DFX mode for Descent2. But now this other game (dreams for reality) wants DOS mode and not windows.. just can't win with older gaming machines.

Last edited by kithylin on 2013-05-29, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) The game is installing and running even in Win98 command prompt.
2) Sorry, the correct .bat to install 3dfx version is instalfx.bat, not installfx.bat.
By the way, version of "Dreams to Reality" in my collection have Fr only windows installer (and Fr error messages, by the way). Is there a version with the FULL english translation?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 44 of 355, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

1) The game is installing and running even in Win98 command prompt.
2) Sorry, the correct .bat to install 3dfx version is instalfx.bat, not installfx.bat.
By the way, version of "Dreams to Reality" in my collection have Fr only windows installer (and Fr error messages, by the way). Is there a version with the FULL english translation?

The version I've found has german-like text in the installer but in-game the menus in-game are all in english.

robertmo wrote:

you install win98 on dos and have dual boot cause of that. don't understand your problem...

The problem is I'm most likely going to have to split up this machine into two physical hard drives (1 for dos one for 98se) as I've tried dualbooting pure-DOS and win98 on the same hard drive and when you install 98se it just over-writes everything.

I just haven't worked on it yet.. that'll probably take a whole day of setup and configuring stuff, guess I have to then.

Reply 45 of 355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If "Restart in MS-DOS" doesn't work, you whould really reinstall Windows. Something is quite wrong there.

Windows 98SE and MS-DOS 7.1 works well, but you need to be a little bit more aware of how Windows does things and how it affects DOS.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 48 of 355, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This post made me swap out my V1 for a V2 in my early win9x rig. However, I'm running into a problem.

I installed Mech2 Pentium edition. Patched to 1.1, copied over the 3Dfx files. Tried running the game, and it comes up fine. Combat Variables has a blank space for screen resolution, so it's using the 3dfx files. I try to jump into a mission in the training area, and it just blinks back to the mission select menu as if I had quit out of the mission.

I started reading some more and found a few things to try. I copied the glide.dll and sst1init (I forget the exact names) from the diamond installer package to the mech2 game folder. I copied over a batch file for the SST settings.

Well, the thing runs great now...sort of. The mission will start, the clouds will fly by stupid fast like it should...except the entire screen is a horrible neon green. It's not the passthrough cable, as everything else looks fine, so I think it may be my monster 3d II card itself.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing the green tint? The spinning 3dfx logo when the mission kicks in is the weird neon green as well, instead of the normal darker green as it should be.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 49 of 355, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

If "Restart in MS-DOS" doesn't work, you whould really reinstall Windows. Something is quite wrong there.

Windows 98SE and MS-DOS 7.1 works well, but you need to be a little bit more aware of how Windows does things and how it affects DOS.

tincup wrote:

Yes, "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" *should* reboot you to a clean Dos C:\ prompt with no issues. Take Mau1wurf1977 advice and re-install W98.

robertmo wrote:

hit F8 during boot and choose "previous version of ms-dos"

It's a recently new / clean win98 install on this machine. That's not the problem.. it's sucha pain to get drivers for "restart in ms-dos mode" to work right, and then there's the whole not having enough room for SET= varibles for batch files that are needed to use a voodoo3 on some older dos games that expect a voodo2. Having the Shell= thing in config.sys doesn't work either, it applies that at first.. then when you boot windows and shut down in dos again it ignores it and you can't use batch files to tweak games anymore.

It's all just a big bunch of mess and it'd be lots easier to have a dedicated drive for dos only and another one for windows only.

I shouldn't of said anything in the forums.. you folks here don't understand 😒 *Shrug*

Reply 50 of 355, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

I shouldn't of said anything in the forums.. you folks here don't understand 😒 *Shrug*

That's the dumbest thing I've heard here in awhile. EVERYONE here understands the bullshit that dicking around with old machines and setups can be.

Every problem has a solution. Whether or not those solutions are acceptable to you is a personal issue that none of us are qualified to deal with.

Reply 51 of 355, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

...It's all just a big bunch of mess and it'd be lots easier to have a dedicated drive for dos only and another one for windows only.

No one here would have a quarrel with a dedicated DOS install at all:) It's just that many have found that Dos Mode reboots can work. But as you correctly observe, configuring DOS sessions, especially with 'reluctant' hardware, can be an adventure in and of itself!

Reply 52 of 355, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Mechwarrior 2 3dfx and all others glide 2.1.1 games - glide.dll and sst1init.dll are Voodoo1-only files. They CAN work correctly with Voodoo2, but the result isn't guaranteed.
Can you please test others glide 2.1.1 games? Outlaws, Pandemonium!, Pod 2.0, Scorched Planet.
The last version of glide 2.1.1 files have 21 Jan 1997 as the creation date.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2013-05-30, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 53 of 355, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

About Mechwarrior 2 3dfx and all others glide 2.1.1 games - glide.dll and sst1init.dll are Voodoo1-only files. They CAN work correctly with Voodoo2, but the result isn't guaranteed.
Can you please test others glide 2.1.1 games? Outlaws, Pandemonium!, Pod 2.0, Scorched Earth.
The last version of glide 2.1.1 files have 21 Jan 1997 as the creation date.

I was just going off of what I found online instruction-wise. They were mostly for getting it to work under dgvoodoo or nglide though, so...

If I pull out the glide/sst1init files and don't use the batch, with the v2 card and the last reference drivers from falconfly.de, it gives me the issue I stated first.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply 54 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Mech2 you need to use the batch file to run it with the V2.

I made a post about this another place on Vogons, in case you didnt find it:

-How to run the game on a Voodoo 2: […]
Show full quote

-How to run the game on a Voodoo 2:

1. FastVoodoo drivers does NOT work. Install these from 3DFX (3.03): http://bit.ly/RM62kJ
2. Copy Glide.dll and ss1init.dll from the driver to the game installation directory.
3. Make a .bat file using notepad with the following: http://bit.ly/SXxAo1
4. Enjoy!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 55 of 355, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

That's the dumbest thing I've heard here in awhile. EVERYONE here understands the bullshit that dicking around with old machines and setups can be.

Every problem has a solution. Whether or not those solutions are acceptable to you is a personal issue that none of us are qualified to deal with.

Sorry.. just I mentioned it before and all I got were responses about trying to make my Windows98 install work. I just haven't had time to sit down and fiddle with the hardware on that machine for a long time, busy with life stuff stuff.

It is a mild bit annoying however that some games only run 3DFX mode in windows (Descent2 so far.. possibly others) and some only do it in DOS mode.

And then there's some like Carmageddon 1 that will do 3DFX mode in windows or DOS.

I am rather new to this whole 3dfx scene as I just recently got my very first vodooo card ever, and I'm starting down the task of exploring some of my favorite old dos games in 3D mode.

Reply 56 of 355, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patience, padawan. Stick around long enough, fuck around with your machines some more and you'll pick it all up second nature. I've been around for awhile and I still find new and ever more frustrating shit to come and post about for help here for.

Reply 57 of 355, by Galatea2.2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Vetz, does Blood crash in the middle of Level 2 with your Voodoo 2 fix?

My previous attempts always gave the "Out of memory for current_texture_data in setGlideTexInfo" error around that point.

This has been reported in a few old threads:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about1485.html
Blood on a Voodoo2

Reply 58 of 355, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Galatea2.2 wrote:
Vetz, does Blood crash in the middle of Level 2 with your Voodoo 2 fix? […]
Show full quote

Vetz, does Blood crash in the middle of Level 2 with your Voodoo 2 fix?

My previous attempts always gave the "Out of memory for current_texture_data in setGlideTexInfo" error around that point.

This has been reported in a few old threads:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about1485.html
Blood on a Voodoo2

Didn't know about this problem and no, I didn't play to the second level. I'll test it out!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 59 of 355, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I got my copy of BLOOD in to my AMD machine and tried your 3DFX patch and I can verify it does indeed crash on "The way of all Flesh" -> Level 2.

System specs:
AMD Slot-A Athlon @ 800 Mhz
Voodoo3 3000 AGP (Omega drivers)
Win98se used for testing this, although I might go see if pure-mode dos works better, or at all.
256 MB Ram,
10 GB IDE
Creative AWE64 Gold ISA sound card.

Crashed going down the stairway in level 2, after spinning the train car, close to the beginning. I had a save in level 2, so I re-loaded it, made it down the stairs and all the way to the ticket booth in the next area, then it crashed again. Not trying any more tonight.