VOGONS

Win98: more than one video card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides switching AGP/ PCI first boot option in BIOS, you could just disable the required card in Win98 DEVICE MANAGER and alternate between the two cards in question. And even setup two different HARDWARE PROFILES for each card to boot into Windows, if required. A reboot would be required, which is hardly a big deal.

Reply 22 of 32, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j^aws wrote:

Besides switching AGP/ PCI first boot option in BIOS, you could just disable the required card in Win98 DEVICE MANAGER and alternate between the two cards in question. And even setup two different HARDWARE PROFILES for each card to boot into Windows, if required. A reboot would be required, which is hardly a big deal.

😁 Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately I have tried it many months ago. Read this if who doesn't know:
In Windows 9X/ME there is no possible to disable Primary Graphics Adapter. Not by DEVICE MANAGER, not by HARDWARE PROFILES, no way!
It's impossible to make it Secondary/Slave, no way!

About real decision nobody told yet. Unfortunately. But thanks anyway.

Reply 24 of 32, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't actually know what PARUS is trying to do with a Secondary card. But a few years ago, in an AGP system using Win98, I was switching between a PCI Voodoo 5500 and AGP 5900 Ultra in a 440BX system. All I did was switch in BIOS the first boot option for AGP/PCI, then switched VGA cable. The relevant drivers loaded in Win98 at boot, and only 1 card was installed as a Primary card (other was diasbled).

Secondary cards are cards like Voodoo 1/2, or PowerVR PCX 1/2, where you can't boot into Windows with these, but you can switch APIs with these cards alongside a Primary (bootable) card.

Reply 25 of 32, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
j^aws wrote on 2017-01-28, 00:14:

I don't actually know what PARUS is trying to do with a Secondary card. But a few years ago, in an AGP system using Win98, I was switching between a PCI Voodoo 5500 and AGP 5900 Ultra in a 440BX system. All I did was switch in BIOS the first boot option for AGP/PCI, then switched VGA cable. The relevant drivers loaded in Win98 at boot, and only 1 card was installed as a Primary card (other was diasbled).

Secondary cards are cards like Voodoo 1/2, or PowerVR PCX 1/2, where you can't boot into Windows with these, but you can switch APIs with these cards alongside a Primary (bootable) card.

I am so sorry for reviving this thread but there is a lot of good info here and i want to do the same thing OP was talking about, running 2 GPUs in win9x.

In my case it is Voodoo 5 AGP and a Geforce 6200 PCI.

i wonder, which chipsets allow this switching? and does it completely disable the other card for windows not to see?

Reply 26 of 32, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shishkebarbarian wrote on 2022-02-15, 21:29:

i wonder, which chipsets allow this switching? and does it completely disable the other card for windows not to see?

I think anything that has AGP has the option to set PCI or AGP as primary in BIOS.

The primary card will be "disabled" in dos mode, but once the windows drivers are loaded it acts much like a card with multiple video outs, allowing you to mirror/extend or just ignore whatever monitor is plugged into it.
You can of course manually disable it in device manager if you wish.

Reply 27 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use the "primary card AGP/PCI change in BIOS" trick to switch between an AGP Geforce FX 5900 and a PCI Voodoo 3 3000 .

Otherwise, there is the option described here : D3D Games - switch between Voodoo and Primary GPU?

Reply 28 of 32, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use the same BIOS trick everyone else here is suggesting coupled with hardware profiles. This allows me to switch between an NVidia (AGP) card and a Voodoo (PCI) card. It's the only way I have figured to have multiple GPUs in a Windows 98 machine.

Reply 29 of 32, by bazingaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am facing the exact same issue on a "Compaq Presario 100C".

Primary card : SiS620 4MB IGP running on AGP 2x.
Secondary card : ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB running on PCI

There is no AGP slot on board (Compaq OEM FIC C31-A with AMI BIOS) and can't access to BIOS to disable IGP or select VGA priority (unlike with retail version of the same motherboard with AWARD BIOS).
I tried various SOFTPAQs (ex: SP15674 , SP8126, SP8126 etc) with "Computer Setup" but all said unsupported system or "CPQCM.SYS is not loaded or is the incorrect version" .

3D only works on SiS620 IGP running on AGP 2x. But it is pretty useless, more like "seconds per frame".
ATI Radeon 7000 PCI only shows as "DirectDraw" enabled and dual monitor setup works even at 1080p on DVI port.

Attachments

• dx_sis.jpg
    Filename
    dx_sis.jpg
    File size
    61.43 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Direct3D enabled for SiS620 IGP
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dx_ati.jpg
    Filename
    dx_ati.jpg
    File size
    75.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Direct3D disabled for ATI Radeon 7000 on PCI
    File license
  • ati.jpg
    Filename
    ati.jpg
    File size
    32.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATI Radeon 7000 displays at 1080p
    File license

Reply 31 of 32, by bazingaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a simple solution to disable onboard card. Placed RAM on 2nd slot instead of 1st slot. It disabled onboard AGP card and I can now use PCI Radeon 7000 64MB.
Dual 1080p displays on glorious Win98 with 3D. 😀

Attachments

• hp.jpg
    Filename
    hp.jpg
    File size
    105.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Monitor 2 @ 1080p VGA
    File license
  • dx.jpg
    Filename
    dx.jpg
    File size
    61.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DirectX 7 Status
    File license
  • dell.jpg
    Filename
    dell.jpg
    File size
    107.06 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Monitor 1 @ 1080p DVI
    File license

Reply 32 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Elsa Gloria XL had both an S3 Virge 325 and a Glint/Permedia graphics co-processor on a single PCI board installed.

Back in the Windows 98 days, I was able to select both for Direct3D independantly in certain games or benchmarks (Final Reality).

Theoretically, an Voodoo card could have been installed too.
And maybe on of these NEC accelerators, if it wouldn't interfere with Permedia/Glint on the Gloria..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//