Good 4:3 LCD Monitor

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 128, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about 320x200 and 320x240?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 62 of 128, by jxhicks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

What about 320x200 and 320x240?

I don't have a MS-DOS system currently setup to test it with, but I had done some testing in the past. It will sync to those resolutions, but it does framerate conversion for anything that is not 60hz. I remember also that it did lose sync during some of the sections of the Copper demo.

I originally bought the monitor to use with Amiga and Dos machines, but ended up not using it because of the lack of smooth scrolling. For 50Hz stuff it adds duplicate frames and 70Hz it drops frames.

The image quality is nice, just limited to 60Hz. Works great for Windows games.

Reply 63 of 128, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the search for 70hz 1600x1200 panel continues...

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 64 of 128, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its not possible at least in Windows, try to overclock monitor - create custom monitor inf file with Powerstrip or something like that? To change 60 Hz to 70Hz for some resolutions? I did that back in day with CRTs for high resolution, to reach resonable refresh rate..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 65 of 128, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to own an Eizo M1700 LCD and while it's actually a 5:4-ratio display, it was a great as a retro-friendly LCD-monitor.

You can find the specs here:
https://productz.com/en/eizo-m1700-monitor

A particularly valuable trait of the Eizo (besides the excellent color accuracy) was how the monitor scaled lower resolution modes to fit the screen. Many LCDs do this poorly and you get an image with artifacts or blur. The Eizo looked outstanding even at lower resolutions than it's native 1280x1024. I don't think I've ever seen an LCD do scaling this well.

I'm not sure if the rated display lag or 60/75 Hz refreshrate would bug you, but I didn't find the speed of the display objectionable at all.

If you can find a good unit used, this is one to watch out for.

RichPimp wrote:

I currently have a 21" ViewSonic CRT monitor that I use to play any games that were released from about the year 2000 and before, be it on vintage hardware or through DosBox on my newer machine. The experience, for me, is just so much more authentic to that time frame, and I find the response times to be subjectively better than even on my G-Sync display. Alas, any CRT display is destined to die and, given that there is no one currently manufacturing new ones (that I'm aware of), I'm looking toward the future with potential replacements. Also, that monitor is freaking huge and I'd love to reclaim some desk space. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a 4:3 LCD for retro gaming? I'd like to avoid using a widescreen monitor, if possible, though they seem to be the best options when it comes to color quality and refresh rates. Whenever I use a letterboxed resolution on my 27" G-Sync, I find the picture to be too artificial and the black bars are off-putting. I'm probably in the minority here, but there's a softness and glow to CRT's that I prefer to the sharpness of such a high res LCD.

On a side note, I wonder if there's a large enough retro market for a niche manufacturer to make CRT's (televisions more so than monitors). I have a CRT TV as well for retro consoles and I find that, even with the best scalers, the image still doesn't beat running on a CRT. Probably not as I'd imagine the cost and especially shipping would be too high. Such a shame.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 66 of 128, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Display Mode Timing > Fixed aspect ratio timing" with "Enabled doublescan for lower resolution modes" hmm I need to test this more

ruthan wrote:

Its not possible at least in Windows, try to overclock monitor - create custom monitor inf file with Powerstrip or something like that? To change 60 Hz to 70Hz for some resolutions? I did that back in day with CRTs for high resolution, to reach resonable refresh rate..

powerstrip offers monitor OC, basically just a few clicks if I remember right, one of the easiest ways of testing monitor OC

Reply 67 of 128, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

20-21 inch 1600x1200 IPS panels are not overclockable from my experience. Though early 16:10 screens like Dell 2209WA can work at 75hz flawlessly and force 4:3 aspect ratio. I think only PVA/MVA 1600x1200 panels are theoretically capable to do 75hz.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 69 of 128, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-02, 11:39:

My 2007FP reports 70hz when playing an EGA DOS game (biomenace), which is presumably 320x240. I don't notice frame "skipping".

According to tests reported in this thread, the 2007FP does frameskip at 70Hz and 75Hz . It is most certainly designed to be as unnoticeable as possible .

Reply 71 of 128, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ioannis wrote on 2020-05-05, 00:01:

Anyone looked into these? They are kinda expensive but they might check a lot of boxes...

https://www.beetronics.eu/15-inch-monitor-flush-4-3

Plethora of connectors, PAL/NTSC, 1024x768 native, LED IPS.

this monitor seems very focused on accepting all sorts of inputs and resolutions,
so I would be a little afraid of it having some input lag beyond the average, but that's merely a guess,
interesting regardless, but yes, that's very expensive for 15".

Reply 73 of 128, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just use HP 17" and 19" cast offs. They work perfectly fine with old x86 and oldAcorn systems with vga outputs...

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 74 of 128, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Real and available 4:3 monitors are small, is there some 24+ LCD with which can force 4:3 mode for everything and simply dont run as wide screen in any case? Or is there some magic box like DVI emulator to make such thing happen?

Reply 76 of 128, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-05, 01:45:

Real and available 4:3 monitors are small, is there some 24+ LCD with which can force 4:3 mode for everything and simply dont run as wide screen in any case?

I believe most new widescreen lcds do this. But I never would, it just looks wrong.

Reply 77 of 128, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-05, 02:27:
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-05, 01:45:

Real and available 4:3 monitors are small, is there some 24+ LCD with which can force 4:3 mode for everything and simply dont run as wide screen in any case?

I believe most new widescreen lcds do this. But I never would, it just looks wrong.

Over VGA, that should work, as long as the monitor has an option not to stretch .

Over DVI/HDMI in Windows you can set the resolution you want and set not monitor not to stretch (or use GPU scaling if available to force correct aspect ratio) .

Over DVI/HDMI in DOS, the video card usually automatically scales to the monitor's native resolution widescreen and thus stretches the image. AFAIK, this can only be avoided by using something like an EDID doctor/EDID emulator or equivalent to trick the video card into sending a 4x3 resolution (by making it think it is the monitor's native resolution) and of course setting the monitor not to stretch .

Reply 78 of 128, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-05-05, 02:03:

just get a monitor that does correct scaling (look at reviews and manuals) and yes there are external scalers that also do that.

Its too general, i would like to see some confirmed list of monitors which are doing it right. There are now lots of new IPS lcds with reasonable price, so i would know that some of them has proper 4:3 mode, i would select it.
Maybe is enough just list monitor vendors and monitor release dates, or they firmware dates, if is possible to discover them.

BTW what about 75 / 144 / 165 Hz monitors, are they able to work in DOS 70Hz mode fine? Because these are more expensive, but if they are playing better with Dos than 60Hz it would make sense to invest to them.