VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quick update, I've purchased an Asus CUBX which should be a good centerpiece for a new, more conservative 98 system.

It comes with what's advertised as a Pentium III 333MHz, aaannd I'm going to go ahead and assume that means Celeron. But a CPU that slow should be great for a Voodoo 1, and then I can swap in a 1GHz processor for newer games and use an ISA sound card, and still have a compatible chipset for my Rage Fury MAXX. So it should be pretty versatile!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 21 of 24, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

pretty sure V1 will be fine even with the 1GHz cpu - I tested a lot of different boards for Voodoo1 compatibility a couple of years ago, and all P3 (or older) boards had no problems even with fast cpus. P4s and K7s are mostly no go - not working at all, or weird issues very similar to what has been described in this topic. the funniest part is that the brand/manufacturer of the card actually makes a difference, some are more compatible than others.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 22 of 24, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Only time I ever had a problem with a voodoo1 is in systems with 66mhz and or 3.3v pci busses.
I even ran a voodoo1 in a system with a Athlon 64 x2 via glideXP_64 without any problems.
The Real problems with faster systems is the drivers and or pci bus voltages/speed.

Reply 23 of 24, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ahh, pretty much forgot that V1 has a 64bit driver - I have to try it out one of those days. anyway, as I've said, P4/K7 and newer machines are simply hit and miss, everyone needs to try and see for themselves - it may work. or not.

3Dfx Help Page

Reply 24 of 24, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
voodoo47 wrote:

ahh, pretty much forgot that V1 has a 64bit driver - I have to try it out one of those days. anyway, as I've said, P4/K7 and newer machines are simply hit and miss, everyone needs to try and see for themselves - it may work. or not.

I found with glideXP64 that I never had any problems, I think newer system can be narrowed down to two problems, drivers and pci voltage/speed.
But I only ever really tried newer 64 bit systems and not too many p4/k7 systems.