VOGONS

First post, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
I have been reading quite a bit on this forum, so thank you for everything so far!

Yet, I'm building a retro PC and... I'm stuck, unfortunately 🙁

I have an Olivetti mAtx case I love, a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, and need to get the usual MB+CPU+RAM combo.
Yet the Voodoo3 restrictions (like AGP 1x/2x) are literally driving me mad, and I pretty much can find no motherboard I am 100% sure about, so I really need to ask.

My question:
which motherboard can I get that is

- mAtx/micro ATX,

- compatible with a voodoo 3 3000 AGP (of course),

- compatible with a Pentium 3 (or similar) - and, quite importantly, as fast/advanced as possible?
AKA: what is the fastest CPU/RAM combo I can get? Pentium 3s go up to 1400Mhz, but can these fit the 3dfx GPU requirements?

- and at least relatively easy to find (as the couple of cards I could get a sense could work are nowhere to be sold on the internet, it seems...)
?

I am completely stuck with a build that has everything ready but the actual core... 🙁 looking forward to any help I can get.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by aarska on 2017-09-19, 18:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some SIS chipset based Pentium 4 motherboards with a Universal AGP slot. I have one which is mATX from MSI.

Another example would be the ASRock GE PRO-M2.

I believe the best way to find one would be to look at the Voodoo5 5500 AGP Motherboard compatibility lists and pare down to mATX from there.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 17, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it have to be P3?
If yes, search "socket 370" + "micro atx" on google and write down the board names. Search the board names on ebay.

Does it have to be the best P3 aka tualatin?
If yes, search "tualatin" + "micro atx" or "694T" + "micro atx" or "sis635t" + "micro atx" or "815ept" + "micro atx" on google and write down the board names. Search the board names on ebay.

Avoid the ones with 1.5V only slots. You can double check by googling the board name + "voodoo3". Chances are there are other people who tried this combination before.
There are many more (and much faster) choices if you would consider athlon boards.

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also go with a Socket 462 board.

Faster than a PIII and looks to be more readily available from my quick search.

I found a list of chipsets that support the 3.3v AGP
Voodoo 5 AGP question

List of chipsets that are 100% compatible:
I440BX, i815, i820, i840, VIA 133A, VIA 133T -> PIII platform
SiS 645, VIA P4X266 (not 100% sure about this one) -> P4 platform
AMD-750, AMD-760, VIA KX133, KT133A, KT266A, KT333 (some late revisions are AGP 4x only!!.. so not compatible with V5), SiS 735, 745 -> Athlon / Athlon XP platform

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone, you are awesome!
Actually, it does not have to be PIII, but that was the only option I was able to find so far... the idea is to build a "fast" Win98SE PC that would allow me to do most things despite being very retro.

Lots of food for thought, I'll do some proper research now, let's see what shows up.

Last edited by aarska on 2017-09-19, 17:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:

There are some SIS chipset based Pentium 4 motherboards with a Universal AGP slot. I have one which is mATX from MSI.

May I ask what model it is?
Or if anything else I could be searching for comes to mind...

fitzpatr wrote:

Another example would be the ASRock GE PRO-M2.

This would be perfect! But unfortunately I can not seem to find one for sale here in Europe...

Reply 7 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

Does it have to be P3?
If yes, search "socket 370" + "micro atx" on google and write down the board names. Search the board names on ebay.

I did something similar, but ended up with almost nothing on ebay (especially here in Europe)...
By the way, it does not have to be P3, that is just what I assumed would be the best compatible option... a hi-end tualatin (like the 1400) would be good, though.

lazibayer wrote:

Does it have to be the best P3 aka tualatin?
If yes, search "tualatin" + "micro atx" or "694T" + "micro atx" or "sis635t" + "micro atx" or "815ept" + "micro atx" on google and write down the board names. Search the board names on ebay.

This more specific suggestion for search will probably help, will do, thanks!

lazibayer wrote:

Avoid the ones with 1.5V only slots. You can double check by googling the board name + "voodoo3". Chances are there are other people who tried this combination before.
There are many more (and much faster) choices if you would consider athlon boards.

Reply 8 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

Thinking about it, I could. But I have close to no idea about AMD standards... what could some optimal/fastest MB+CPU combos be?

Reply 9 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found this based on SIS 645DX, unsure about the voltage and AGP speeds though...
http://www.ebay.it/itm/DFI-NS30-FS-Lan-USB-So … loAAOSwHsBZo60K

I have also found this which seems good
https://www.amazon.com/Chaintech-motherboard- … t/dp/B01GCC3CRW
but it seems to be also impossible to find in Europe.

Last edited by aarska on 2017-09-19, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 17, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like what the others said: Your fastest option for unning agp voodoo cards is either a p4 board based on a SiS chipset (no intel p4 board supports agp 3,3v cards) or an Athlon XP board based on max. The Via KT333 chipset (Via Kt400 and higher and Nforce/Nforce2 boards do NOT support agp 3,3v cards).

The safest bet is Up to KT266A chipset as some later versions of KT333 are also not compatible.

So, take a good Kt333 board with an Athlon XP ''barton'' 3000+ cpu and be done.

But it will only scale a bit on the lowest resolutions, when using a voodoo3 there is no real point at using anything faster as a p3 1ghz cpu or even a bit lower.
I run my Voodoo3 3500TV AGP with a p3-700 and it's a very good match.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

Like what the others said: Your fastest option for unning agp voodoo cards is either a p4 board based on a SiS chipset (no intel p4 board supports agp 3,3v cards) or an Athlon XP board based on max. The Via KT333 chipset (Via Kt400 and higher and Nforce/Nforce2 boards do NOT support agp 3,3v cards).

Thank you for your reply!
How about the MB at the first link I posted above? I can not find any official info about voltage or AGP speeds...

meljor wrote:

take a good Kt333 board with an Athlon XP ''barton'' 3000+ cpu and be done.

I'd actually love to! But I can not find ANY KT333 mAtx board for sale on ebay 🙁 do they even exist?

Reply 12 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update. Actually, I might have found one of these for quite cheap:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/SiS/GE%20PRO-HT%20R3.0/

It says it has universal AGP, but I'm unsure about the other requirements (like voltage)

Reply 13 of 17, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might have better luck with boards with integrated graphics, because they are intended for less demanding applications. A few examples,
PM133: supports pre-tualatin p3
KM266: supports athlon xp + ddr
SiS730: supports athlon xp + sdr
SiS650: supports p4

Reply 14 of 17, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aarska wrote:

Update. Actually, I might have found one of these for quite cheap:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/SiS/GE%20PRO-HT%20R3.0/

It says it has universal AGP, but I'm unsure about the other requirements (like voltage)

If you read the manual you will find:

AGP slot: 1 universal AGP slot, AGP 2.0 compliant, supports 3.3V / 1.5V, 4X / 2X / 1X AGP card […]
Show full quote

AGP slot:
1 universal AGP slot,
AGP 2.0 compliant,
supports 3.3V / 1.5V, 4X / 2X / 1X AGP card

So go for it! SiS651 is kinda SiS645DX + integrated SiS315 graphics.

Reply 15 of 17, by aarska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much! I just bought it 😀

While I wait for it, I'd have a slightly OT question, the last one I promise 😁
the highest RAM specs are 2x1gb DDR333, but how about the P4 processor? Any speed/generational limits I should be worring about? I'm not sure...