VOGONS

MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA Converter Released!

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 341, by retrocanada76

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But I will work on the colors again becasue all the bright colors are little bit stronger than the reference, including the yellow. That's because I am using RRGGBB, but I can use the full RRRRGGGGBBBB the board supports. I have 4 bits per color component. Is hard to match the exact color voltage.

Reply 161 of 341, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bright yellow is actually supposed to be slightly "washed out" like the rest of the bright colors. You can see this in keropi's VGA screen shot and also if you look at the RGB values for the CGA/EGA palette. Pure yellow would be FFFF00, but it's FFFF55.

VGA:
bGE1NwYl.jpg

Converter:
GJClI6ol.jpg

Reply 163 of 341, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see you guys are aiming for perfection, but as it is, looks pretty close and IMO it is already the best converter around. Specially because you don't need to do any upscaling.

Reply 164 of 341, by retrocanada76

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i pushed a new FW. Together a close bright colors to CGACAL, I also changed the DIP switches, it was a mess frmo CGA to MDA, Now the dips are, dip1 is the closet to the RGBI connector:

DIP1: OPEN: MDA - CLOSED: CGA/EGA
DIP2: OPEN: HERCULES/16MHZ in MDA, SCANLINES in CGA - CLOSED: NONE
DIP3: OPEN: MONOCHROME EMULATION, CLOSED: RGB
DIP4: OPEN: GREEN MONOCHROME, CLOSED: AMBER MONOCHROME

Yes, I was wrong, the yellow is not tweaked on a CGA monitor.

Reply 171 of 341, by retrocanada76

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ibmapc wrote:

I think your commit from 2-17 was closer. The last two commits are to dark on the dark grey. The light red and light magnt are to bright.

they can't be brighter: red before was RRRRGGGGBBBB: 1100 0000 0000 and now is 1011 0000 0000

unless the DAC ladder is messed up...

Reply 173 of 341, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK that last one is very close to the 2-17 commit. The colors here from my camera don't quite match what I see on the display. But, they are very close.

DSC01389.JPG
Filename
DSC01389.JPG
File size
960.35 KiB
Views
File comment
2-17 commmit
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC01390.JPG
Filename
DSC01390.JPG
File size
966.03 KiB
Views
File comment
last commit
File license

Reply 174 of 341, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those last pictures were in 640x200 mode. This next one is in 640x350 As you can see, the grey is almost pink and the dark grey looks kind of green.

DSC01391.JPG
Filename
DSC01391.JPG
File size
941.79 KiB
Views
File comment
Last commit 640x350 resolution (ATI EGA Wonder)
File license

Reply 176 of 341, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, I've been taking all pictures with the monitor set to factory defaults. If I tweek the colors, I can make some improvements. But, the grey is still slightly pink and the white text turns a little blue. I can not make it perfect in 640x350 no matter how much I adjust the Monitor. I've tried this with two other LCD monitors and get the same result. If I take the converter out of the equation, and connect my Multisync monitor directly to the EGA Wonder, the colors are spot on. So, that would seem to eliminate the video card as the problem. The colors in 640x350 resolution have been off all along. I just haven't complained loudly enough!

Reply 177 of 341, by retrocanada76

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know EGA cards needs a jumper to use the pin 2 (secondary red) otherwise it will be grounded. This could shift the colors. If I don't set this jumper I never get full white.

Reply 178 of 341, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrocanada76 wrote:

This is why I can tell the CGA monitors tweaks the Yellow removing the blue Intensity from it.

That's not what the actual 5153 monitor schematic says: http://www.oldskool.org/pc/cgacal/cgamon_schem.png

#14 (yellow) is supposed to be as close to #ffff55 as possible. I don't understand when you write that you have to tweak anything. What needs to be tweaked? Is the blue component for #14 not output as a value of 0x55?

Reply 179 of 341, by retrocanada76

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrocanada76 wrote:

I know EGA cards needs a jumper to use the pin 2 (secondary red) otherwise it will be grounded. This could shift the colors. If I don't set this jumper I never get full white.

I just tested my ega card and is fine. Can you check if any of your Secondary red, green and blue are shorted ? Because these pins are not used in the 640x200 resolutions. So if they are shorted you get wrong colors.