VOGONS

2-4Mb VLB Video Card

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 61, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then it might be the card. I have one like that... Ati Mach64 VRAM ISA. It has 8 chips and should be total of 2MB. But every program and even Windows 95 show only 1MB of memory. I'm looking for 2MB upgrade card for it to get at least full 2MB of memory.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 41 of 61, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder what it means... memory IC's need to be reflowed? A faulty chip somewhere?

I recently found the ATI Mach64 ISA 2 MB upgrade module. Came off a 2 MB PCI card (not the one I'm having issues getting proper memory readings from).

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 61, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't realise the memory modules from PCI to VLB were interchangeable!

I'm guessing that there may be various types of modules, and the right one should be used otherwise it may end up either not working or worst case, end up with memory corruptions etc?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 43 of 61, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:

I'm guessing that there may be various types of modules, and the right one should be used otherwise it may end up either not working or worst case, end up with memory corruptions etc?

Yes, that is what I've heard. The tricky part of finding the matching module is that more modules than just those asking for a particular part number will work. Finding all those which will work is a difficult research task. If a database exists, it should be posted.

For example, my Mach64 ISA asks for memory module upgrade with numbers A, while it will also work with modules with numbers B, but not necessarily with numbrers C, although they may have the same connectors. I am using A, B, and C arbitrarily.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 46 of 61, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have 1st hand experience? Can you show some examples what would be compatible with Mach64 VRAM ISA - like this one:

TpxpfIBm.jpg

I think boards with this part # should work:

100-26401-00
109-26400-10

Reply 47 of 61, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
Do you have 1st hand experience? Can you show some examples what would be compatible with Mach64 VRAM ISA - like this one: […]
Show full quote

Do you have 1st hand experience? Can you show some examples what would be compatible with Mach64 VRAM ISA - like this one:

TpxpfIBm.jpg

I think boards with this part # should work:

100-26401-00
109-26400-10

I have the VLB card of this and the module which this is with is 109-26400-10.

I have not seen the other one, or if it differs any, i'm sure if it has the same IC's and is connected to the same pins etc then it will be fine.

That is a nice card, I didn't know the ISA version also came in 4 MB version.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 49 of 61, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have 1st hand experience?

Only with PCI Mach64.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 50 of 61, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
386_junkie wrote:

It looks like the modules don' t even have to have the same capacity.

Today I took 8 256kb memory modules from working Cirrus Logic CL-GD5430 PCI card (This card has 4MB RAM in total, in 16 modules).
Miro Crystal 8S VLB (S3 805 chipset) has 8 module holders and it supports up to 2MB (1MB onboard + 8x128kb chips).
I installed 256kb modules into these slots and... What a surprise! 256kb modules are working perfectly 😀 they are detected as a 128kb though, but still... An easy way to upgrade VRAM to 2MB.

Reply 52 of 61, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Q1zhIwF.jpg?1
The rest of memory is working now in my S3. I could move this VRAM to one bank, but the jumper used to change memory size was soldered by manufacturer so it only works as a 4MB card.

Reply 53 of 61, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... did it actually boot with 4MB? Although I can't see the marks on the chips - it would seem these are 256k x 4bit. So one chip is 128KB. 8 = 1MB and 16 = 2MB.

Reply 54 of 61, by Ltsyrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My bad, I just refilled one bank and indeed, Sysspeed shows that these are 128kbit modules, so this is 2MB card. Now I notice this description of soldered jumper: "4MB DRAM CONFIG. OR 5430".
Still, It' s a good news that it is possible to increase video memory this way. Now I'm thinking about buying some cheap Trident 9000's with 512kb ram as a source of memory chips...

Reply 55 of 61, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, am I missing something or 9440AGI VLB is actually cut down version without 24bit color support? Or is it improved version?

Reply 56 of 61, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd really like to know what all the differences are between the Trident versions. I always assumed the AGI was somehow better than a regular 9440, but I've never compared the two. Why do you think it's cut down?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 58 of 61, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It says it as a "16-bit DAC interface". I don't think that's the same as having a 16-bit colour DAC. Many DACs with an 8-bit interface can do true colour. The only way to know for sure is to test one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 59 of 61, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh well, did some tests with a 9440-3 PCI card (with 35ns memory no less) and it's really horrible experience. Performance is somewhat okayish in 8-bit modes (even good in Build games), but amount of glitches and horrible 16-bit modes kinda killed my interest to pick any other Triden cards. I think I'll just stick with 2mb 5428.