VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Canopus Pure 3D Voodoo1 card I got with some other stuff from a guy moving...I created a cable for it from a vga cable and a mini din 9 adapter. I soldered all the pins based on a pin out I found on the web and made the cable. My soldering isn't the best, but I know all the wires were soldered to the proper pins before I put the cable together with the metal cover and then plastic cover. I have never used the card before so I don't know if it's good or not but when I plugged it in and used the adapter, the PC shows no video. Before I go get another minidin adapter and cut another vga cable up to try another adapter (the one that is made I can't really fix as there is multiple heat shrink and the pins have solder on them which would be a nightmare to clean and take apart) or hunt all over for the right cable, I wanted to know if there is anyway to verify the card is working at all?

If the cards bad no point in hunting down a cable!

Reply 1 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What 2D card are you using and how did you chain them together (I know you used your cable, I just want some more details)?

Also - did you ground the metal shell, or are you just relying on pin ground signal(s)?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 14, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The easiest way to test the two separately is to set up and use your computer as normal, but with both cards in the system. Plug the monitor into your normal video card. From there, install Canopus or Voodoo drivers and see if the card is detected in Windows. If it is, install a game, such as tomb raider 1...the original version, not Steam or GOG or anything. Then select the GLIDE renderer. One you start the game, it should be rendering through the Voodoo. Your 2d card will show something other than the game. At that point, change your monitor cable from the 2d card to the 3d card. If you see correct output, the card is working and your cable or the pass through portion of the card is flawed.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perfect test....thanks a ton!!

One other question, does anyone know if the 9 pin minidin 6 foot cables that are on Amazon have all 9 wires in them? They are 9 pin minidin to 9 pin minidin, but I want to make sure they have all 9 wires as I am going to just get one of those and solder the wires of it to a VGA cables wires as my soldering on the minidin adapter was not great at all!

Will report my findings...

EDIT - Windows sees and installs the card, so I know its at least recognized, so the cable is bad would be my guess....

Reply 4 of 14, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As ~fitzpatr said, check your card without the cable. Make sure it has 3D output (e.g. in-game). I have the same card (and possibly the same schematic, iirc I found it here on vogons [wiki?]). Made a cable by cutting a VGA cable and soldering a connector to its end. If in doubt, search for "male 9pin Mini DIN plug for Promedia GMX system" on eBay to get the correct plug.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 5 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested it out last night, and it does have 3D output...so that is good...

For the cable, I just dont have a steady enough hand apparently to solder those wires onto the 9 pins on the minidin without getting solder between the pins, which I guess caused my issues with my first attempt....buying a 9 pin minidin cable for a few extra bucks and going to solder the wires together with a VGA cable according to the pinouts (same ones you mentioned above) and hoping that does the trick.....

Reply 6 of 14, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any chance you could post photos and/or video of the process of creating the cable? I've got a couple Canopus cards and live in fear of the day that the cables get broken or lost. Having a guide on how to create a replacement would be ultra nice! 😀

Reply 7 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, I would be glad to...once I get one working!!

Hoping this method of just splicing two cables together will do the trick....the cable cost a little more but I can get it working, it was worth it....should be here tomorrow or Wed.

Reply 8 of 14, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I look forward to your guide!

I've found a few pinouts sheets and reports of various success or failure, but I've never found a detailed how-to guide for regular n00bs. This would be most helpful.

Reply 10 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received the cable and was going to start making it, but decided to slice one of my thumbs half way across at work....so its all stitched up and wrapped.....will have to wait a few days before I can make this thing and report if it works!! Box cutters are the worst when they slip!!!

Reply 12 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a week of letting the thumb heal and getting stitches out, I finally took a shot at this

I bought a 9 pin mini din b male to male cable. The b type have the offset pins in top row that the Canopus needs and cut it in half

I cut a good VGA cable that had all 15 wires

I stripped the wires on both, only stripping the 9 needed on the VGA cable according to the pinout photo.

Using a Multimeter I tested each wire with each pin on each cable for continuity to see which pin corresponds to which wire and noted them

I soldered the wires together according to the pinout diagram photo soldering 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc and covered each soldered wire with individual heatshrink tubing

Once finished I tested the cable

Good news is that it worked. Bad news is that I think the card is messed up as the colors on the screen were off a bit. In post, instead of white letters and numbers they were an off white, almost gray color. In Windows 95 the colors look Almost normal but faded and kind of not as crisp and bright. Almost like there is a light grayish tint over everything.

So my issues continue. Not sure where to go from here...cable seems fine and soldering on each wire was good and complete. The cables were both good cables so I don't think they are the issue. The length of the cable is probably twice as long as a normal pass-through if that matters

Anything I can do to the card or look for to try and remedy this?

Reply 13 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was the shielding on the cable still covering the area where you did the modifications? I don't know if shielding issues would cause the problem you're having, but its a thought.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.