Are Voodoo graphics card THAT good ?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 183, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 181 of 183, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-07-30, 21:37:
Putas wrote on 2021-07-30, 20:30:

Rage 128 should have a honourable place as 32-bit enabler.

I would place such honor to Matrox G400. The Matrox G400 MAX outperformed Riva TNT2 Ultra at 32-bit colors. For the short period of time, it was the highest performance 3D gamers' card money could buy for 32-bit colors.

I don't know why being faster than something should mattter. By "enabler" I mean a product that runs at 32-bit with performance hit so low, it makes people forget about 16-bit. And Rage 128 was first such a card, except... freaking Virge had also small performance hit, so... some higher standard of usability is need as well.

Reply 182 of 183, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see this 3DFX resurrection being legit. All the old - and outdated to the point of being worthless - VOODOO and GLIDE IP is locked in Nvidia's warchest and there's really no room for another GPU maker, especially one that does things like 3DFX did back in the day. Apparently, Nvidia let the trademarks expire on everything they picked up, but I still can't see a 3DFX resurrection happening.

Reply 183 of 183, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reading that link I can only read as a "proof" of an unlikely return the opening of simple social account with "3dfx interactive" and a message about that? The only way I see this far from happening might be something like "3dfx, a NV company" otherwise I can't really imagine how it'd be possible or even the logic about it. Most people nowdays probably doesn't even remember or have known them.