VOGONS

SiS 530 chipset with PCI graphics

Topic actions

First post, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running AMD K6-2+ 500 Mhz CPU with ga-5smm motherboard based on SiS 530 chipset.
When using integrated graphics, I benchmark quake1 @640x480 in software mode at 25 fps (and it matches the other results I found online)
When I plug in my Voodoo 3 3000 PCI the same software benchmark end up with 11 fps.
Every other 3dfx game fps benchmarks like I have a pentium-200 ish CPU.

Is there a way to fix this?
I want to run my voodoo 3 at full speed

Reply 2 of 21, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested under Windows 98 SE and I was not able to completely disable integrated graphics.
I don't know how to do that. There is no setting to disable it in BIOS/jumpers. I set the memory to 2MB in BIOS but it was still detected under windows 98 with exclamation point.

Reply 3 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Disabling integrated graphics isn't possible or necessary in this case. What is important is that the Voodoo (PCI) is set as primary in BIOS and in Windows. Apart from that this sounds more like driver issues than anything else. Do you have the SiS motherboard chipset drivers installed? Exclamation marks in Device Manager are a sure sign of driver problems.

Reply 4 of 21, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I do both sis and voodoo latest drivers installed.
Yellow exclamation mark says something about drivers not supporting multiple graphics cards. I tried to disable the integrated gpu but it did not help.
Bios setting is set to prefer pci graphics.

Reply 5 of 21, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you switching to GLQuake, or are you using the software renderer. If you aren't, that performance drop is concerning.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I remember correctly this is how you disable the built in video on the GA-5SMM.

Set PCI as primary video in the BIOS setup, reboot (with the screen connected to the PCI video card) then disable the built in AGP video in Windows then reboot again and enter the BIOS setup and set the amount of system memory the built in AGP video should use as frame buffer to 0MB.

After you power off and and power on the system again the onboard video should be fully disabled and not hurting the memory performance any more.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 21, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The integrated graphics is connected through AGP or maybe even through a local bus so the bandwidth is higher. It is also possible that the board will setup the MTRRs when using the internal video but not for a PCI card. Usually Windows should enable write combining for the video card. You could test the bandwidth.

With a Voodoo3 you should definitely use GLQuake (the CPU will be the bottleneck unless you use very high resolutions), but I suppose you have a reason for using the software renderer.

Reply 8 of 21, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:

Are you switching to GLQuake, or are you using the software renderer. If you aren't, that performance drop is concerning.

No. I used software renderer (just for testing purposes)

In Unreal using glide renderer I get 25 fps@512×386. This is too low for voodoo3 and k6-2+ 500
This is the game I actually planned to play with Voodoo 3 but it runs too slow.

Reply 10 of 21, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

I had a GA-5SMM motherboard. Using a PCI video card and setting onboard VRAM to 2MB in BIOS gives me 0MB allocated to integrated GPU.

That is the same for me, but the problem is it also slows down the CPU.
I'm running some more tests to figure out what is happening.

Reply 12 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ahtoh wrote:

Just tested with PC Mark 2002 and CPU score is very similar with and without Voodoo3 installed.
So, it is not CPU what slows down, but something else.

CPU and integrated VGA share system memory bandwidth, so when both are addressed simultaneously (i.e. during a game or 3D benchmark) performance is approximately halved.

The question is why that is happening here - even if the integrated VGA is still operational, you should be working exclusively on the Voodoo in this situation. Once again, I'm sure drivers aren't working properly.

It could be an interrupt thing. Try the Voodoo in a different PCI slot.

Reply 14 of 21, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suspect the issue might be due to the bus transfer rate being too low. I tested it with Final reality and it says Bus transfer rate is 16 Mb/s
SiS 530 IGP scores 42 Mb/s in the same test
See attached:

Voodoo3 PCI vs SiS 530.png
Filename
Voodoo3 PCI vs SiS 530.png
File size
16.11 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo3 PCI vs SiS 530 IGP
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Any idea what could be the cause of this?

Reply 15 of 21, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bus transfer rate should be how fast data can be written into video ram. I never had a PCI Voodoo3, it may be just that slow, or maybe the SiS chipset is just crap.

Apart from that, I wonder why you don't use a Voodoo2 instead anyway? You have on-board graphics already for 2d, so a Voodoo2 would be a better match (also with the cpu).

Reply 16 of 21, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's because I don't have Voodoo 2, and I would need two to play unreal I think (my primary goal)
I'm also considering changing the motherboard, but not sure there are other SS7 mATX motherboards, and they are probably also based on this SiS 530 chipset.
p.s. I checked the Voodoo3 bus transfer rate on relatively modern PC and it is around 100 Mb/s:

Attachments

Reply 18 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are more than enough mATX SS7 motherboards. Finding them for a decent price is another matter though...

Quick look on Amibay shows that there's one, an MSI MS-5182 with an ALi Aladdin V chipset and onboard ATi Rage Pro AGP (with its own memory, not shared like with the SiS530), going for a very decent price in Poland, and another, an Acer V72MA with the exact same chips/specs and a similar price in Texas. Neither has the AGP slot that would be nice, but both would be vastly better than a SiS530 (or indeed Via MPV4) based board with integrated VGA without its own memory. Search on Amibay for the model numbers and you should spot them straight away.