VOGONS

First post, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im trying to test out a V770 (Regular, not M64 or Pro) It doesnt display anything. With it plugged in and switching to onboard the BIOS does not detect it and windows wont recognize any new hardware. This is a Socket370 motherboard with AGP 4x. The card is not meant for this system im just simply seeing if it works. Its actually meant to be in my upcoming Slot1 build(Just waiting on case to be delivered)

Last edited by Trank on 2018-04-18, 07:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well that got no where. Not sure the power supply plays well with that Mobo. Just turns on the moment you plug the cord in. So now im wondering if not only the card i bought was dead, but if the motherboard is. (I suspect that the Power Supply is on its last legs, it wont even bring power to the case fan like it used to when i first got my hands on it. Its old and very used. The mobo guy guaranteed me it was test and confirmed working.) Or the Pentium 2 is. No video on any AGP card i used, and with with PCI. No post beep. So ill keep everyone updated tomorrow when the Case arrives with new PSU.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't you have some test hardware laying around?
I always first test new parts with known good hardware before assembling it all into a definitive build as this makes troubleshooting easier 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromangia wrote:

just curious, how did you repair a video card with a pencil eraser? Just cleaned the contacts?

Yes. That's basically it. I prefer to use rubbing alcohol and I've fixed dead hardware this way, like memory modules, slotted CPUs and graphics cards. The amount of dirt that comes off is amazing considering it doesn't look as dirty before cleaning it 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good work. I was just gonna say some tnt2 cards had jumpers on them for agp 2 or 4x mode also. In case its at 2x now. I had a card in 2x till i figured that out. Lol

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME