VOGONS

First post, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an option to buy Siemens-Nixdorf laptop for a reasonable price... but the screen is broken, displaying the same thing twice, as you can see below. What do you think might be the reason and how difficult it could be to repair?

Attachments

• ncd.jpg
    Filename
    ncd.jpg
    File size
    32.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, what happens if you do attach an external VGA monitor ? Same issue ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

No, image is fine. See photo below.

both.jpg
Filename
both.jpg
File size
89.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
vvbee wrote:

The pcd-4nd has a very modular build anyway so pretty easy to work on.

It indeed is - I already disassembled the thing, looked inside and whatnot. What worries me, though, is my DX4/100 processor is without any radiator! I mean this thing can get hot pretty quickly. Is that a normal thing?

Reply 5 of 7, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it's running at only 3.1V albeit I doubt that the chip doesn't get plenty hot. The processor may also be specified to be able to withstand higher temperatures(like AMD's "BHI" Am5x86s).

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OldCat wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

No, image is fine. See photo below.

Ah, okey dokey. So the VGA is alright, that's good! 😀 I suspect that there's a bad connection on LCD panel then.
The original Gameboy had screen issues, which resulted in a "similar" effect (missing lines, dead spots, etc).
See https://youtu.be/l4PArFarm_k

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Ah, okey dokey. So the VGA is alright, that's good! 😀 I suspect that there's a bad connection on LCD panel then.
The original Gameboy had screen issues, which resulted in a "similar" effect (missing lines, dead spots, etc).
See https://youtu.be/l4PArFarm_k

I dismantled the monitor, checked LCD (it's NEC) and connectors, but I am not good enough in electronics to fix if there are problems with LCD itself. Found another S-N laptop, bought it, will try to make a hybrid that works.