VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's often said that the image quality gets degraded, that not all VGA pass-cables are created equal and most of the ones you can find new are too long. Do VGA switch boxes like these https://www.amazon.com/Ports-VGA-Switch-Selec … r/dp/B003DTZQFY do the job and if so how does it compare?

Also please share if you've had very good experiences with any new pass-through cables.

Reply 1 of 5, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will work, but I doubt if a 10 dollar switch will do a better job than a pass thru cable.
If your main card has DVI and your monitor takes DVI and VGA you can plug your main card to your monitor's DVI input and your 3D card to its VGA input.

Reply 2 of 5, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could always build your own pass-through cable with good components, as short or as long as you'd like. High quality shielded cables and connectors are readily available and fancy soldering equipment isn't really needed for the task. Another good option would be getting a decent KVM switch and using only the VGA portion of it.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 5, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or go the "easy" route and get a monitor with dvi and vga hook ups. I had a bad pass cable and I'm not an electrician so this was an easy out. Works great!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you in search for the best quality pass-through there is, or do you just need a cable that doesn't suck? If it's the latter, and because you wrote "most of the ones you can find new are too long", you can always give these cheap splitters a try. Not the best but not terrible either, they're OK (just don't cut the extra cable, leave it hanging)

s-l225.jpg
Filename
s-l225.jpg
File size
3.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception